CrowdSupport®
Level 1: Cadet

Phishing

Recived this Email today: The PAY MY BILL link has a URL of the Nederlands, http://hnis.nl/media/telstrabill/

Looked real and was very professionally done. My wife nearly paid it but reference to my account on Telstra showed that the previous bill had been paid an the current bill was a completely different figure.

Strangely the real Telstra site's account section went down shortly after my inquiry!

YOUR TELSTRA ONLINE BILL 

Bill Number 854 9114 783
Dear BigPond Member,

Your latest bill is available online, totalling $109.45 , and due for payment on 19 June 17.

This e-mail has been sent to you by Telstra Billing Department to inform you that we were unable to process your most recent payment of bill.

This might be due to one or more of the following reasons:

A recent change in your personal information ( i.e.change of address).

Submiting invalid information during the initial sign up process.

An inability to accurately verify your selected option of payment due to an internal error within our processors.

Please use the following link:

Go to PAY MY BILL and update your billing information.

NOTE!
If your account information is not updated within the next 48 hours then your ability to use any services provided by Bigpond such as broadband, wireless, adsl, cable, dialup and email might become restricted.,

See you online soon,
Gerd Schenkel
Executive Director, Telstra Digital Sales and Service

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Phishing

Yes, it is a very common scam.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Received the same phony (sic) bill this morning, exact to the customer number, bill ammount, and date of failed billing
BUT the logon sit redirected to arscoin.com, an alias no way related to Telstra
Telstra should be warning about bogus bills
Highlighted

They have, every couple of months for the past few years. So have the ACCC, TIO and other agencies. The newspapers usually hav an article about one scam or another every day.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

@Jupiter wrote:

They have ...

Sure, but doesn't

[quote]

...exact to the customer number, bill ammount, and date of failed billing ...

[/quote]

raise some hair on the back of your neck? It sure does for me.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Roger99

I think you may have misread it - the poster means the scam email received was exactly the same as the email shared by the original poster. So they got the same scam message that uses the same balance and account number. He doesn't mean that it matches his account information. The only difference between their scam emails was the URL. 

As URL's start to get blocked, they keep the email the same and switch up their links.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Ahhhh... right. Sorry, my mistake. I'm a bit gun-shy, I've just been through something similar with PayPal that looked like someone else had access to my account -- I'm still not sure that it has been satisfactorily explained.

It can be a bit of a nervous world sometimes.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit