Highlighted
dmihaleff
Level 1: Cadet

Prepaid to Post... how long should this take?

Answered

Hi guys,

Just hoping someone might be able to clarify a few things for me if possible. Basically, the situation is that I moved from prepaid to postpaid on Saturday morning and was told that the SIM changeover (from my old prepaid SIM to the new postpaid SIM), would take approx 1 hour. After waiting for 8 hours, I called Telstra as this had still not occurred. They told me that they were reprocessing the application and it would take another 24 hours to activate - so to wait until Sunday night.

Sunday night comes around and the service is still not changed over. Sunday night I call up and speak to tech support again, and am told that I need to call back in another 24 hours as they have attempted to reprocess my application, yet again.

Then today, Monday (approx 4PM), I spoke to tech support again and they advised that the service had now been changed over. I asked the consultant if the prepaid service should become inactive before the postpaid service becomes active... She advised that yes it should. I then asked her to call me on my mobile to see if the service is still active on the old prepaid SIM (which it was), and she was able to call me and speak to me. She then blamed my new SIM card, advising that the SIM card is faulty and needs to be replaced.

I'm not one to be taken for a fool, but I thought I should give her the benefit of the doubt that she might be right... As unlikely as it would be that a SIM card is faulty...

So, my questions are:

a) how long, on average does a simple pre to post paid transition take?

b) if my new service is active, and the new SIM card is activated (as she says it is), shouldn't my old prepaid SIM lose service and not be able to register on the network? The fact that I can still make and receive phone calls and receive data services on the old SIM card kind of indicates to me that no one has bothered to activate the new SIM.

It really shouldn't need to be this hard. I ported my number from Virgin Mobile postpaid to Telstra (porting my number), and this took less than 10 minutes, but yet you guys can't manage to process an application from one department of yours to another? That's a great first impression to give customers when they sign up ;-)

Thanks to anyone who replies!

Dan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
QwertFu
Level 12: Master Detective
Accepted Solution

Re: Prepaid to Post... how long should this take?

Depends on too many things for me to give you a responsible answer.

b) if my new service is active, and the new SIM card is activated (as she says it is), shouldn't my old prepaid SIM lose service and not be able to register on the network? The fact that I can still make and receive phone calls and receive data services on the old SIM card kind of indicates to me that no one has bothered to activate the new SIM.

It sounds to me like the number has been transfered from pre-post on the existing sim card. Try dialling #100# as if you would to recharge and see what response you get. If the transfer is complete, you should see no options to recharge there at all.

I'm glad I can offer help, but please note all posts are my personal advice or opinion and do not necessarily reflect the view or policy of Telstra.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
QwertFu
Accepted Solution

Depends on too many things for me to give you a responsible answer.

It sounds to me like the number has been transfered from pre-post on the existing sim card. Try dialling #100# as if you would to recharge and see what response you get. If the transfer is complete, you should see no options to recharge there at all.

I'm glad I can offer help, but please note all posts are my personal advice or opinion and do not necessarily reflect the view or policy of Telstra.
dmihaleff

Thanks for the response man. You hit the nail on the head as it was ported to the existing SIM card... I tried #100# and it mentioned 'my plan'. I had a look in there and it told me the plan I was currently on, so that's definitely what happened.

I went to the Telstra store at Hornsby this afternoon and picked up another micro SIM. I then called tech support again and they were able to finally activate my service with the correct SIM card.

Thanks for all your help!

QwertFu

Anytime Smiley Wink

helpme79

Seems to be a common problem. I gave up after 2 weeks of inaction.

Telstra 24x7®

View your current bill summary and pay your bill with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now