CrowdSupport®
Frosty1950
Level 1: Cadet

Refund

Hi. We cancelled our account with Telstra on 3/7/18 when we changed provider. Telstra continued to debit our bank account and through live chat I was able to receive a refund. Unfortunately the direct debit agreement was not cancelled so further payments were debited. This week through live chat I managed to get the debit order cancelled but was unable to activate the refund. My husband was the account holder but I was the contact person. Live chat advised me to ring billing which I did but they refused to activate the refund as I was not the account holder. My husband is not well enough to deal with this issue himself so what do I do now? Will Telstra automatically refund the amount, since the debit order is now cancelled? TIA for any assistance.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Refund

Hi Frosty1950. Thanks for coming through. Really sorry for the frustration. The balance will automatically be refunded back to the originating account when your Billing account is changed to FINAL status, which happens automatically. It can take up to 6 weeks after the last service is disconnected, (overseas mobile usage takes a long time to flow through, for example).

That's certainly due now, based on what you've advised. I recommend re-engaging the Live Chat team -  https://www.telstra.com.au/chatnow/landing - logging in with the same email address you used previously; the consultant will then be able to read back over your previous conversation and get up to speed quickly.

Really appreciate your patience in this, please pass my apologies along to your husband, and let us know how you get on. - Matthew.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted
Frosty1950

Thanks MattyC. I will leg you know how we go.
Frosty1950

Hi MattyC, Thanks heaps! I ended up filling out the online complaint form 5 day’s ago and this morning received a call from Telstra. Apparently the account is closed, direct debit cancelled and the refund is now being processed. So it looks like it is all done. If there is any problem with the refund I will be back but so far it looks promising. Thank you for your help. 👍
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Frosty1950, thank you so much for getting back to Matt. I shall certainly pass this on to his later today. Please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra 24x7®

View your current bill summary and pay your bill with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now