Highlighted
PetersWeb
Level 1: Cadet

Reinstate Cancelled mobile?

Answered

I recently joined a new company.  They offered to port my mobile number to their corporate plan with another provider.  I agreed provided that it didn't cost me anything to transfer over.  Everything was completed and I assumed that all was OK - until I received my Telstra bill with the cancellation fee.

End result is that the company take no responsibility for failing to advise me that I was going to be liable for the fee and I can't reverse the port as the company will charge me for breaking their contract.

Is it possible for me to reinstate my contract with Telstra with a new number and new SIM and continue with the service in that manner?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Reinstate Cancelled mobile?

Drat, I also think it's negligent for them to not advise the potential costs of cancellation if he said he would move "at no cost".

If you can't fix it with your employer, I would contact Telstra and work out a payment plan.... Just my 2c.

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Level 22: Superhuman

…until I received my Telstra bill with the cancellation fee.

End result is that the company take no responsibility for failing to advise me that I was going to be liable for the fee…

To be fair, I do not think your employer has any legal or moral responsibility to investigate what contractual agreements you have personally entered into prior to joining the company, and assess the potential impact of their offer from your perspective.

Is it possible for me to reinstate my contract with Telstra with a new number and new SIM and continue with the service in that manner?

No.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Ben_F
Accepted Solution

Drat, I also think it's negligent for them to not advise the potential costs of cancellation if he said he would move "at no cost".

If you can't fix it with your employer, I would contact Telstra and work out a payment plan.... Just my 2c.

B.

New Users - Click Here!

Mitcho1989
Level 11: Detective

Guess it wasn't explained well enough. The actual porting itself costs nothing, but if you're breaking a contract early with the provider you're porting from, you will be charged an early termination fee, no matter what.

But no, you won't be able to reinstate a contract you've terminated, new number/sim or not. You'd have to sign a new contract.
Level 23: Superhero

IIRC there is notification when agreeing to porting a number relating to potential costs with an existing provider, which were likely glossed over or ignored by the OP because of the information the employer gave them.

Obviously though they should have confirmed with Telstra prior to porting the number themselves.

As Ben_F has suggested, I would call and arrange a payment plan.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Ben_F

@kalak - That notice would have been provided to the employer, who is now the owner of the service as part of the port over :/

New Users - Click Here!

Mitcho1989 wrote:
The actual porting itself costs nothing,

That's not always true – I was charged a port-out fee (around $8, from memory) when I ported one of my Telstra Consumer post-paid services to a different carrier, but I'm confident the O.P.'s employee would wear the $8 if it is a direct cost attributable to the porting of his number itself.

Edit: I found the Telstra bill in which such a charge was listed.Port Out Charge on Telstra Bill.png

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Mitcho1989

My mistake. Guess I've only seen one side of it, I used to work for Telstra and handled a few port-ins, and never saw a thing about charges. I suppose some other carriers find it necessary to charge extra for it. I don't know why though, if I poached a customer from someone else, I'd give them extra incentive, not extra fees. (Even if it would only be $8.)

Mitcho1989 wrote:
I suppose some other carriers find it necessary to charge extra for it. I don't know why though, if I poached a customer from someone else, I'd give them extra incentive, not extra fees.

No, the port-out fee is what a mobile carrier will charge the departing customer, which I assume will nominally be to cover the administrative costs for processing the port request, but certainly acts as a deterrent for frequent porting between carriers for whatever reason (e.g. to take advantage of limited time only deals and offers in the market from time to time).

——

Mitcho1989

Ah, I understand now. Thanks for clearing that up! Smiley Happy
PetersWeb
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I understand that the contract is my responsibility but I did ask my employer to advise me what the cost would be prior porting my number and if it was too much I'd reconsider.  I consider $1800 too much so I'll take this up with my employer.

Telstra 24x7®

View your current bill summary and pay your bill with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now