CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
ellmo
Level 1: Cadet

Third Party Purchases Scam

Answered

I have been a loyal and dedicated Telstra customer for over 15 years. I spent at least $200 a month on Telstra products, including internet, home phone line and mobile phones. I have a mobile phone on this account used by my elderly father, a pensioner on limited income who has been diagnosed with dementia. He uses this mobile phone to keep in touch with family members, as dementia is a very serious degenerative brain disease with severe consequences for people and their families affected by it. Throughout 2017 this mobile number has been the subject of serious Third Party Purchases scams from Openmarket Pty Ltd. On 21 June 2017 I barred Premium SMS content from this mobile phone. I also kept text messaging the numbers asking ‘STOP’ and tried to block the numbers from the phone. The texts kept coming. I also attempted to get in contact with Openmarket Pty Ltd to request removal from their service, to no avail. It is absolutely disgraceful that Telstra is colluding with this company to scam vulnerable elderly Australian pensioners. For the month of November-December, my father was charged $88.25 for Third Party Purchases. Other months they have costed up to $30 per month. He did not consent to any of this and we have actively tried to stop it. It is disgusting this has happened and I want it investigated immediately by Telstra. It is unacceptable that when I rang up Telstra at 6.02pm EST on Friday 15 December 2017 that after being on the Complaints line for 20 minutes on hold, I was hung up on by a Telstra employee as I attempted to resolve this issue. I would like a full refund from Telstra for all Third Party Purchases made on this account in 2017. I would also like an explanation as to why Telstra thinks these kind of scams are acceptable to target at their customers, particularly elderly pensioners with cognitive impairments. If Telstra does not resolve this issue satisfactorily, I will be taking my complaint to the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman and request their investigation into the matter. I will also reconsider my contract with Telstra and urge my family and friends to do the same. I won’t hesitate to take this issue to the media as I think it is a really appalling breach of ethics for Telstra to do this to an elderly customer with dementia. Could someone please call me as soon as possible to discuss this as I am extremely unhappy and the Complaints online form keeps coming up with 'error' when I try to submit. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: Third Party Purchases Scam

As of early this month Telstra has stopped these services from being able to bill people via their phone bill. Telstra had told the providers to get their act together, put in place double opt-in etc and it didn't happen so they have dropped them entirely. To me this shows that it's not acceptable to Telstra - though I personally believe it has taken the industry too long to deal with these things. IIRC Optus is looking at doing the same soon as well.

If you've had some issues initially via phone you can fill in a form online to submit a complaint to give them a final chance to get the subscription sorted for you. You've clearly made reasonable attempts on your end!

https://say.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/Email-Complaint

Is this the link you've been using?

Sadly as this is a public forum the reps that check-in here are unable to identify you and call you.

I'd give it one more chance on 132200 saying complaint, or the form, and if all else fails then you may need to get in touch with the TIO. Unfortunately there is only so much you can be expected to try on your own.

The only thing to consider is to ensure that you're authorised on the account, otherwise they won't be able to assist anyway.

If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

As of early this month Telstra has stopped these services from being able to bill people via their phone bill. Telstra had told the providers to get their act together, put in place double opt-in etc and it didn't happen so they have dropped them entirely. To me this shows that it's not acceptable to Telstra - though I personally believe it has taken the industry too long to deal with these things. IIRC Optus is looking at doing the same soon as well.

If you've had some issues initially via phone you can fill in a form online to submit a complaint to give them a final chance to get the subscription sorted for you. You've clearly made reasonable attempts on your end!

https://say.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/Email-Complaint

Is this the link you've been using?

Sadly as this is a public forum the reps that check-in here are unable to identify you and call you.

I'd give it one more chance on 132200 saying complaint, or the form, and if all else fails then you may need to get in touch with the TIO. Unfortunately there is only so much you can be expected to try on your own.

The only thing to consider is to ensure that you're authorised on the account, otherwise they won't be able to assist anyway.

If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
ellmo
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks Kalak. Unfortunately the online complaints form still comes up with 'Error' when I try to submit it.

Telstra 24x7®

View your current bill summary and pay your bill with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now