CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Tv-pass scam

I have recently been charged 9.99/week for a few weeks now for some tv-pass subscription. It's a work phone so only used for calls. One day I get some crazy text message about tv-pass and reply opt-out to unsuscribe...... Well, I never subscribed to anything in the first place so was definitely NOT going to accept Iliability by unsubscribing so I ignored it.... And I was charged!!
I cannot believe I can be charged for something I never asked for, Telstra has no proof of any agreement between myself and this tv-pass place yet on there wishes they can just steal $10 a week off me and direct Telstra to bill me! Outrageous!!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Tv-pass scam

Could it be someone used your number somehow to activate this?

Try calling Telstra billing and see what they can do.

Highlighted

I have had the same happen to me - just found out today I have been charged around $35 with more debits seemingly on the way.

I am with Optus and have raised with them. Will go to TIO and ACCC if not repaid in full.

Apparently this fraud is called cramming. See the references online to the AT&T settlement not that long ago plus Senate enquiry on the practice.

If you look at the website of TV Pass they have no product and one of the web pages has the title ringtones in the HTML code.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Lantern Studio,

Welcome to Crowd support Smiley Happy

I can appreciate your concerns with the charges that have been applied by this third party service and do apologise for any inconvenience that this has caused Smiley Sad

This is not a service that is provided by us, as we only provide the option to have any subscription charges being applied to your account via the carrier billing option. We are not able to track how this was registered and would only be able to track when the charges started to be applied. There is an extensive knowledge base that we do have available on how these subscriptions with the third party can be cancelled, and a rebate discussed directly with them. This can be located at:

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Billing-Payments-KB/Premium-SMS-and-Telstra-Carrier-Billing/t...

There is a large list with the contact details that can be used for the third party companies to have this completed further. Once this active subscription has been cancelled then you can have the Premium SMS services removed from your account so that these subscriptions are not able to be registered in the future via the handset.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

I have had this happen to me too. Personally i think all phone services should be activated with premium sms barring active. Allowing anyone to make a charge to a phone bill should be an opt IN choice not an opt OUT. Of course the people who answer the phone and try to assist when this BS happens are in no position to help the big problem. They just help your case and pass you off to the company that caused the charge. Not good enough!!
Highlighted

Also have been scammed by TV-Pass.  Smiley Sad I reluctantly SMS'ed STOP to the number, fearing it was another scam, but what else can we do?  

Even more disturbing, since we didn't sign up to begin with, what is stopping the scammers signing us back up tomorrow?  Seems like a effective scam! 

Highlighted

Telstra, is there a way to bar Premium SMS, but keep carrier billing?

Highlighted

My son got stung also.  How is this possible?  I rang the 1300956058 they did answer, they did say they will cancel it.  According to the person on the end of the phone, it required two clicks on a web page to activate the $9.99/wk service (I'm not entirely sure what they offer as a service other than frustration).  I hope they sink in the costs of complaints.  What a scam.

Highlighted

I also had this happen to me. I contact Telstra and they were very helpful.

They barred the service and credited my account for the amount.

Highlighted

This is obviously happening still. Just found 3 $9.99 charges on my wifes account. She definitely didnt subscribe to this service so clearly a scam. Will not be paying for it i can assure you. Telstra have blocked charges on our account but why are these people allowed to still get away with this more than 12 months after original reports?

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi tfinniss,

Please have a chat to our billing team via http://tel.st/49kl or 132200, and we can discuss with you.
– Ern

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Yes the scam artists au.tv-pass are still at it. I received an unsolicited SMS from them and got charged $4.99 to my mobile phone credit balance for the priviledge. The SMS said the I was subscribed to their service, even though I have never heard of them before and never knowingly clicked on any of their links to access their service. They informed me they were going to charge me $9.99 a week for a service I didn't even ask for LOL. Damn scam artists. This is fraud. They sent me two SMS messages. I have now sent a stop message to their number 19789061. How can they continually get away with this? Telstra is not much help. All they can do is block the service. The can't recoup my $4.99 they took off my credit balance. Or they didn't offer to. I am now going to contact au.tv-pass.com

Highlighted

Optus and Telstra admit sharing customer phone numbers with third-party websites
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-26/optus-and-telstra-sharing-mobile-phone-numbers/6575424

"The practice, known as HTTP header enrichment, after an Adelaide-based software developer found he had been involuntarily subscribed to a web games site at the cost of $15 a month.Telstra confirmed the practice of header enrichment, saying they provided "customers' mobile phone numbers to a small number of our content partners".

You can bet au.tv-pass.com is one of them.

Highlighted

I got stung for $39.99 too, I contacted Telstra and asked I them to credit my bill, at first they said no so I demanded to speak to a supervisor then I was immediately given a credit, Telstra knows this is a scam so don't let them blame you.
Highlighted

Highlighted

It should not be permitted to add third party payments to our accounts without authorisation or at least identification.  You wont speak to us about our accounts, let alone add extra charges without names, dates of birth etc, how it is therefore acceptable to charge our accounts just because another company said so.  My 5 year old clicked an advert on my phone which immediately set up the TV-pass subscription and did not ask for any identification.  Telstra should ask for permission to charge our accounts before accepting the charges. It is unethical and just plain wrong which I'm sure is why Telstra credit the amounts when asked.  I've now blocked all 3rd party payments but that should be standard unless I choose to change it.

Highlighted

I was charged 3 times with the TV-Pass scam, I pushed telstra for a refund and got 3 charges refunded.

I then noticed 2 more charges on my upcoming bill so requested a refund for that aswell.

It's worth noting both times I was told they could not refund me but I insisted and both times they refunded me.

Make sure to insist on a refund as clearly its their policy to not refund immediately.

Glad to be refunded but I'm totally shocked by this, and their are plenty of articles about it online 

https://thewest.com.au/news/australia/mobile-phone-billing-scam-hits-telstra-clients-ng-ya-104821?r=...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-26/optus-and-telstra-sharing-mobile-phone-numbers/6575424

Shame on you telstra for treating your customers this way

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit