CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
alice_l
Level 1: Cadet

Unauthorise third party charges - Snack Games (Digital Turbine)

Answered

Got the sms at 19th of August 8:01pm saying that I've subscribed to some kind of Snack Games and will charge $6.95/wk which I'm sure I DIDNOT authorised!!! Thought it was some kind of a scam, so I just ignore the sms, but received another same sms next day(Sunday) 8:02pm, so I contacted Telstra via online 24 chat and they asked me to call the billing team during business hours.

Received another 3 x same SMS from Snack Games and I called Telstra about this issue, the lady from Telstra asked me to text STOP and said she will credit back my $6.95 in the next bill and will set up barring Premium-SMS/third party purchase. (Why should I have to text the STOP and charge me $0.30 for "Mobile Enhanced SMS" as I did not authorise the subscription??)

Thought this issue will stop, but no.....got another SMS from Snack Games on the 26th 8:03pm and also last Saturday 8:02pm....

Checked my account details online and Telstra still charging me for the purchase that I have nothing to do with, another $6.95 x 2 = $13.90 !!!!

I have called Telstra this morning and they said my account didn't have barring (so I wasted my time calling 2 weeks ago??)
They will make sure the barring is in place this time and will credit me back. (will have to wait until next bill to know...?)

I'm very vigilant about the way of using my phone and have not authorise any subscriptions or payments from my mobile.
Checked from the "detailed usage" online at Telstra, you can tell by the time of those SMS subscriptions that it's all around the same time: 8:01pm. 8:03pm, 8:02pm....   it's clearly a big scam, and why should Telstra let this happened?? 

Has anyone have the same issues?? Really angry about this and thinking leaving the Telstra service....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Unauthorise third party charges - Snack Games (Digital Turbine)

The reason why you have to text STOP back to the message is because this is what the ACMA regulations state you must do.

As far as the refund and barring goes, that is a shame that the original consultant didn't do it correctly.

If you are still getting the messages after you have sent the SMS, you can complain to the TIO about the company that is sending them.

From early December 2017 it shouldn't be a problem as Telstra is stopping the third party billing on their network (about time - it has been abused for too long).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Accepted Solution

The reason why you have to text STOP back to the message is because this is what the ACMA regulations state you must do.

As far as the refund and barring goes, that is a shame that the original consultant didn't do it correctly.

If you are still getting the messages after you have sent the SMS, you can complain to the TIO about the company that is sending them.

From early December 2017 it shouldn't be a problem as Telstra is stopping the third party billing on their network (about time - it has been abused for too long).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
alice_l

After calling Telstra yesterday, not sure if they've installed the barring correctly....but I'm sure that they mucked up with my account as I received an email of "order estimate" which looks like they signed me up for a new 12 months contract with an early termination charge of $540, plus the Apply music subscription that I've cancelled long ago......Smiley Frustrated

dodgytelstra

Yes, same thing has recently happened to me. I remember receiving the text msg on a number of occasions and just thought they were dodgy and deleted them. Figured that if I had of replied to them they might have gotten more of my details or something, so just deleted. Then I receive my monthly bill, with an extra $30 added on for these so called 'third party purchases' which I definitely never agreed to!!! Can't believe telstra just let this happen to their customers. I pay, what I consider, to be a pretty hefty monthly phone plan for a decent phone and decent download and then they still let this happen to their customers!!

SallyF

I have had the same thing happen to me. I noticed an extra $89.90 on my monthly bill and queried it. It seems I have been subscribing to Mobilefun, which I did not authorise. Telstra tells me that this amount will be taken off my account balance so that I won't have to pay it. On further checking, I found that I paid an extra $59.90 last month, unknowingly by Direct Debit. I haven't been able to get back to Telstra to see whether I can do anything about that. What a scam and how can it happen?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey SallyF,

I can appreciate your concerns with these charges for this Third Party service and do apologise for any inconvenience that this has caused you Smiley Sad We only offer the carrier billing option for these premium content services to be charged too, and don't provide the service itself. Details on these services can be located at: 

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Accounts-Plans/Premium-SMS-and-Telstra-Carrier-Billing/ta-p/4...

If this service is continuing to be charged then there is an active subscription that needs to be cancelled with the third party directly. This link will have a table with the companies listed and what contact details can be used to contact them directly. Once cancelled you can dispute any charges that have been applied for this service as well with them. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now