Adsl_at_last
Level 1: Cadet

Unreasonable charges

I swapped to NBN when it became available in my area in mid November. I’ve been a Telstra broadband customer for a number of years and felt confident there would be benefit in sticking with Telstra. My mistake!

When the hardware arrived I received a text saying I could connect. I set up the connection box and gen 2 smart hub as per instructions and tested download - happy with 45mbps. Within 24 hours it stopped working. Waited 45 mins on phone to be told I was an ADSL customer and they couldn’t help me. Waited a week for nbn connection with sporadic access via 4G. Since connection have had multiple dropouts per day, swaps to 4G at least once per day and often doesn’t switch back unless I unplug everything. Made contact with Telstra 4 times in the last 2 days mostly via 24/7 chat as wait time for phone is too long. Apparently they now need to charge me $240 to come and check the equipment they supplied. Was told if the modem is a fault they will replace but I still need to pay the $240 fee. I am appalled, how can they charge me to check and replace faulty Telstra equipment.

At a loss right now. Asked to speak to a Manager/ Supervisor and was obstructed with statements like - no one available/ they will just tell you the same thing as me. I am trying to lodge a formal complaint with little success.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thank you

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Unreasonable charges

If there is a fault with the modem or the line into your first phone point you will not be charged the $240. If there is a fault with the internal wiring of your house you will be charged for a callout.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Adsl_at_last
Level 1: Cadet

That would be fine but it is not what I was told during my discussion with support. I was told clearly, and confirmed, that the only situation in which I would not be charged is if the problem cannot be fixed and is therefore a problem with the nbn - which has already been checked. If the problem turns out to be an issue with the Telstra supplied modem, connection device or my wiring I will be charged $240. I find this unintelligible and believe me I did double check what he was saying. I am still waiting for any kind of response from Telstra and currently have no internet, fixed line or 4G backup.
Support Team
Support Team

HI Adsl_at_last -  while we're not able to access accounts via posts on these forums for privacy reasons, I can contact the consultant assigned to any complaints which have been lodged if you can let me know any case reference numbers from your recent contacts. (These would usually begin with 'SR-1').

If you haven't been able to submit a complaint in your recent calls, one can also be submitted online through the secure link at  https://tel.st/9hke5

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra 24x7®

View your current bill summary and pay your bill with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now