CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Beg181
Level 2: Rookie

Unsolicited browser messages

I RECEIVED THE BELOW MESSAGE IN A TAB, WHEN I OPENED MY CHROME BROWSER. I HAVE RECEIVED SIMILAR MESSAGES FROM OTHER COMPANIES, WHICH I TREATED AS HOAXES. ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO STOP THESE GUYS GETTING INTO MY COMPUTER? I HAVE TREND SECURITY.  THANK YOU.

(Telstra Logo) TELSTRA

Dear customer, congratulations!

We want to thank you for being a loyal Telstra customer! Your IP <removed> has been randomly selected for the chance to receive a FREE Iphone 7.

Once in a while, we randomly select a handful of Telstra customers for the chance to receive valuable prizes from our partners and sponsors. This is our way of thanking you for choosing Telstra as your Internet service provider.

Today is your lucky day! You are among 10 customers randomly selected to receive a FREE iPhone 7 from our partner APPLE.

In order to receive your free gift, just complete our short, anonymous survey. But hurry! There are only a few prizes available today!

How satisfied are you with Telstra?

Very Satisfied                Satisfied                         Not Satisfied

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Unsolicited browser messages

Trying running some anti-malware scans. E.g adwcleaner, malwarebytes, Junkware removal tool

Barring that reset chrome https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/3296214?hl=en

Other then that you can get a browser extension like adblockplus that may help and avoid dodgy websites as a lot of popup ads like that can also come from them. Note you will not be able to block All ads and a lot of legitmate sites use them for revenue to keep the site up and running

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
Beg181

Thanks Yastiandrie, will give your suggestions a go.
Beg181

(Telstra Logo) TELSTRA

Dear customer, congratulations!

We want to thank you for being a loyal Telstra customer! Your IP <removed> has been randomly selected for the chance to receive a FREE Iphone 7.

Once in a while, we randomly select a handful of Telstra customers for the chance to receive valuable prizes from our partners and sponsors. This is our way of thanking you for choosing Telstra as your Internet service provider.

Today is your lucky day! You are among 10 customers randomly selected to receive a FREE iPhone 7 from our partner APPLE.

In order to receive your free gift, just complete our short, anonymous survey. But hurry! There are only a few prizes available today!

How satisfied are you with Telstra?

Very Satisfied                Satisfied                         Not Satisfied

I received this message underneath a question I posted in CrowdSupport. I would like confirmation this is from Telstra. As there was no way to respond to "How satisfied are you with Telstra?" and there was no link to the iPhone survey, I feel it is a hoax.

Please advise

Lorraine McKirdy

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Lorraine,

That is a spam message and is not from Telstra. I recommend disregarding that and trying some of the suggestions Yastiandrie mentioned.

Let me know if there's anything else we can assist with.

-Chris

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about direct debit and the Telstra 24x7 App ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now