CrowdSupport®
restricted
Level 2: Rookie

restricted incorrectly & can't call Telstra

I moved house. Used Telstra moving service. It did not work. Billing was messed up. Old house stayed connected. Called Telstra. Assured me it would be fixed. Got overdue notice attached to an email informing me I was in credit. I called Telstra to check what was true. I was assured I was in credit and the overdue was system generated, therefore ignore it. Now my services are restricted. Called Telstra billing. Asked if I want to report a payment or make a payment. I chose "other enquiry" so it put through to a phone number. Message says the voicemail inbox for that number is full so Telstra suggests I try calling later. Meanwhile my services are restricted (I was notified today). Why is it so difficult to speak to someone at Telstra about billing? Why does the moving service not work? Why do I get overdue notices attached to credit notices? Why do Telstra staff assure me by phone that everything is OK and I do not need to do anything? Why is my service restricted automatically without clear warning when the mistake is Telstra's? What amount of financial compensation should I require from Telstra for the time and restrictions to my service (home cable, 4 family mobile phones, 1 laptop data sim, 2 iPad data sims). I have been with Telstra since I moved to Melbourne in 2009. My bills are paid on time every time, automatically, charged to my credit card. This is crazy!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: restricted incorrectly & can't call Telstra

Even if you service is restricted, you should still be able to call the 132200 number.

If you can't get through, try livechat.telstra.com instead. They should be able to assist (plus you get to keep a copy of the transcript as a bonus). If they can't fix the issue, then lodging a formal complaint would be in order (which in this case, might be an idea anyway).
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
restricted

I got through to a person on that number 132200 this time, again through "Other Enquiry" (last time I got the voicemail inbox is full message) and he asked if I wanted to pay my bill as my account is restricted... so I read out my complaint and he said he will read the notes on my account and put me through to someone in another department who can help me. I was put on hold, then the phone started ringing and then I was cut off. I will try again.
restricted

Got through to a human on live chat (referred by Codi the virtual assistant). Chatted with one agent, put me through to another. 2 mobile phone services have been restored, working on others. Gave me phone number for requesting compensation.
Highlighted
restricted

Here is the summary of what happened: 1. Long time valuable customer for Telstra. We use auto direct debit to pay all our bills on time. Booked Moving House service, moved house. 2. Called Telstra as disconnection failed (however new modem arrived). Person informed me that the Moving House service failed. Credit from old service would be added to my account. 3. Got email notification of credit plus a monthly bill. Called Telstra to see if I was in credit or if I owed money. I asked this question since all of our bills are paid by direct debit. They assured me my account was in credit. What they did not tell me is that direct debits are cancelled when you move house - they are not transferred. Plus I was issued a new account number. 4. Started noticing slow down and failure of data on mobile phones (we have broadband, 3 mobiles, 1 laptop sim and 2 iPad sims on this account). I called Telstra. I get 3 options - pay your bill, prove you paid your bill or "other". I tried "other." First person removed the restrictions from my Telstra services. That was good. Passed me to second person. $15 late payment fee has been charged to my new account. They agreed to get that reversed. Learned that the debt from old account was added to my new account (this is due to the system ending the existing direct debit). No direct debit on my new account. Discovered that the debt is from our old account. Paid that bill (from old account) over phone and got receipt number. Asked for financial compensation. They asked how much I was expecting. I said $10-20 (I don't care about the amount, I just want to see some small action). They agree to check with their supervisor and call me within 48 hours with the answer. 4. I take my family to the cinema. (My wife is delayed arriving. My 16 year old is managing costume design at her school play. I try to contact my wife. I am not allowed to call or text her work Telstra mobile from my mobile as restrictions have been added again to my Telstra account. I cant use FB Messenger or email or iMessage. My daughter cannot text to advise us when she needs picking up due to the restrictions added again by Telstra.) I call Telstra. Again i can only call billing and I get the same 3 options - pay your bill, prove you paid your bill or "other". I tried proving that I had paid my bill but I was unable.I won't bore you with the rest but I can say now that I can understand how I got to where I am today and it was not a pleasant journey. My bill is showing as paid and up to date but I still cannot as of 12:42pm Friday make phone calls. My $15 overdue fine was reversed though.

Geez, all the holes in the Swiss cheese lined up on you, didn't they?

The big one that has caused the whole thing to go haywire would appear to be the new Account Number. The system would have a hard time with reconciling that without intervention.

Thanks for letting us know how you're getting on with it and what caused the issue, it will help us in helping others if that sort of thing happens again, as it isn't the sort of compounding issue that we'd think of off the top of our heads.

Hopefully they'll get your service up and running fully ASAP.

@Yastiandrie, @DrQ, @cf4, @Ozmoz, @ForensicsGuru - a situation that we could probably all learn from. I certainly hadn't thought of that combination of events occurring in a single instance.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Yeah a new account number would of been the root cause. Not sure why that would of been required
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
restricted

All sorted now thank you. Payment I made by phone yesterday was less than the full amount of debt so that left a residual of $17.99 still owing which triggered the restrictions being re-added. I paid an extra $50 online today to get ahead of the charges (I did not realise until afterwards, during a long online chat with Telstra just now, that I what I was asked to pay was less than was needed to solve the problem). Special mention to a manager named Shivali (Salman Dharani at 14:20, Aug 3) for taking my problems seriously and working them through until they were resolved.
restricted

You asked me to let you know how I get on so... I am on the chatline again as my services were still restricted as of 8:30am Saturday morning. (I did lodge a complaint last night) and Telstra will get back to me within 5 business days. However this person today is removing the restrictions (there is no money overdue on my account) and placing a hold on my account for 7 days so the problem cannot reoccur. (I am unsure what the effect or ramifications will be of having my account on hold for 7 days). He is "manually activating" the mobile plans one by one. He is also submitting a complaint (including the summary information I provided to this crowd support) setting out the process of what happened. I am now able to make calls from my phone, though today was my 4th day with 3 mobile phones and 3 data sims restricted. The key learnings for me is that auto payment can be cancelled by the system and that a new account number can cause unforeseen complications. Also the notes that are added to an account after each call are patchy. That is, as the story unfolds and is understood, it is likely that it will have been retold several times to several people before a lasting solution is implemented.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi restricted, 

I'm really sorry to read about this situation, my apologies for the trouble that you've had with your services. 

It sounds like this has been addressed already, but if you need any assistance from here please let me know - more than happy to help follow this up if necessary. 

Have a great day, 
Jesse

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra 24x7®

View your current bill summary and pay your bill with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now