CrowdSupport®
Doddsie
Level 4: Private Eye

BlackBerry KEYone?

Hi everyone, just curious how we can find out if Telstra will be stocking the new BlackBerry KEYone and when it will be released in Australia?
Was revealed at mobile world congress. Runs android nougat, has a qwerty capacitive keyboard that doubles as a trackpad, has a space key fingerprint scanner, has a 4.5 inch rectangular screen that provides a bigger viewing area than a galaxy note or iphone 7+ (while typing), has the same camera as the google pixel, a universal inbox and each key can be programmed to perform up to two tasks within apps after only a single touch from the home screen. Has two days battery life, charges to 50% in 36 minutes, loudest speakers and an impact resistant screen. Will Telstra be stocking this upon april release? Stocking it late compared to a global release or not stocking it at all? From what I can tell they had at least one rep at barcelona. Would be nice to see some variety in their stores as almost all phones look and perform the same these days. Cheers.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
43 REPLIES 43
Clancy04
Level 3: Gumshoe

KEYone

Hi,

Overnight at MWC17 in Barcelona, TCL now known as BlackBerry Mobile officially annoucned their new device the BlackBerry KEYone.  I'm wonding if Telstra has plans to release this device to it's customers as it goes on sale globally in April?

http://blackberrymobile.com/

Cheers

Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: KEYone

Usually they are only officially announced a couple weeks before release if they are going to have presale or little less if they aren't going to have preorder, so end of march is likely the earliest you would actually know.

You can register to be alerted about all new Android device and that would include that device if it is added - https://www.telstra.com.au/eoi/keep-informed/
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Wayne_G
Level 1: Cadet

I am also eagerly awaiting release of the BlackBerry KEYone.

Re: BlackBerry KEYone?

Generally speaking they do not announce new phones and if they are going to be stocked or not until a couple weeks out from the release, so it is likely that it will not be until either the end of march or the start of april that we actually have an announcement if they are going to stock it. You can register to get alerts about new Android devices and that would alert you if that device is announced as one going to be stocked.

https://www.telstra.com.au/eoi/keep-informed/
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Doddsie

Righton. Thanks for your response. Not very reassuring that theres no BlackBerry checkbox. Not like they almost invented the smartphone, have over 38,000 patents and offer features from 10 years ago that ios and other android providers are still missing.

Slightly disgraceful

Remember looking at a classic and being told by Telstra staff not to buy it, pulled out a BlackBerry passport and blew their mind. They're new to android but seem to be leading the way in productivity already. pixel vs dtek 60 demo here https://youtu.be/26mpL4z7OqI

They did have a Blackberry option but they hadn't had a couple of the last ones and a couple of them haven't been officially released in Aus either so they seem to have removed it.
Helpful Links

mitchduhig
Level 2: Rookie

I am also interested in this phone, would be great if Telstra can get it, even if I need to special order it.

Fawad

I'm on the same boat. Looking forward for the device.
etherspin

This device would keep my wife and I both on Telstra (plans) as we want for the physical controls and battery life. - camera seems great too as well as Blackberry Hub - would have thought that with encryption this one was a must have for Telstra , exclusivity even.
etherspin

What do you mean by special order?
Fawad

Seems like the phone will be released in early May. No word of it from local Telcos. This means I have to order it from overseas.
The Telcos generally have no idea till the very end about such phones and by the time they do release them nobody knows that they have them. Most of the people in the market for such devices have already imported thus they don't see the sales number.

It's quite a frustrating experience
notbadday

Good see Keyone available in phone plan. A phone for a truly serious user.

etherspin

the hands on previews and initial impressions by reviewers with Production models are saying the phone is fantastic and great for power users - get it done Telstra ! people want a robust phone on a network with great reception.

etherspin

no hint of it being available yet but tech reviewers are loving this thing so far (too soon for full reviews) - great battery, same camera as google Pixel but more importantly,decent post processing so it gets similar results, fully QWERTY full of keyboard shortcuts to apps. swipe up on an app icon to open that apps widget, user defined function key on side of phone, grippy rubberised back - if this appears on Telstra Im finally moving on from my Galaxy S5 with removable battery rotation setup! 

Doddsie

I purchased the KEYone yesterday from selfridges in the uk. They opened at 9:30. Had none listed on their website at around 10am. Checked again close to 11am, it was listed as in stock so I bought one. Told a mate in adelaide immediately afterwards. He responded a few minutes later saying they were sold out. Apparently they had 900 in stock. So selling out within a couple of hours seems like a fairly good sign. Don't think they can come back properly without carrier support. Anyway i'll probably get 6 more for my staff if they're on contract at a reasonable price that doesn't effect our data allowance.
mitchduhig

Any update on this one Telstra? Phone is starting to release all over the world at the moment.

georgette
Level 1: Cadet

A friend of mine at telstra said the tech guys had looked at it, but he wasnt sure if they would go ahead with it.... blackberrys are not big sellers and supposedly the classic was a dud for them..... samsungs and iphones unfortunately.

notbadday

It is good to hear that at least tech guys are considering it. Cheers!
Doddsie

Well thats slightly annoying, because this device is different to to their legacy devices. While BlackBerry's have always been the best at performing a phones primary tasks theres always been a sacrifice being that they havent had the app ecosystem on android and iphones, their most profuctive devices were generally always too short also. The KEYone has all the apps because it's running android, a taller screen, the original productive form factor and A LOT more productivity shortcuts and features than BlackBerrys of old. Short press and long press shortcuts. Eg if I shortpress s it texts simon, if I long press s it calls simon.

Has a great camera and the battery life is epic. I've stopped charging mine overnight, plug it in when i'm at my desk for about half an hour.

There are a lot of people who don't like touch screen keyboards and the keyone is the only serious option.
notbadday

@Doddsie: I could not agree with you more. Physical keyboard is really helpful for people with extensive emailing for their work. Autocorrection does not work if you have so many acronyms in text. I have to turn it off. Without autocorrection, physical kb is much superior than the virtual one. It is quite shame that there is phone just right for our need but we cannot buy it in Australia.

notbadday

Looks like we are abandoned Smiley Frustrated

AdamBoy64

A lot of reports saying this phone is selling out all over the place, and that there's unprecedented demand for it.

Would be great to see Telstra pick it up. There's really nothing like it on the market.

Otherwise, hopefully the phone is import-friendly - it's good to be able to have a place here to discuss how it runs on the Telstra network.‎
Doddsie

Got the uk version. Works fine in aussieland with a Telstra sim.

Quick demo of how i've set It up here ..

https://youtu.be/KRloNzAngII

Thanks.

If you want hope that it might still be possible, TLC/BlackBerryMobile have confirmed that it will go on sale officially here next month. They have started a preregistration process and have so far confirmed that JB Hi-Fi will be stocking it. I believe the RRP is set at $900 from what I read.
Helpful Links

notbadday

Yes, JB Hi-fi will stock it at $899. Why are Australians always ripped off?

Particularly with this phone, the market size is going to be playing a part... but in general, our market is small, and we have people willing to pay higher prices so we get charged higher prices.

Also once you convert the UK price in pound into dollar it is only about $20 difference in price which isn't as bad as some device, the US prices is a bit cheaper again though working out about $150 cheaper than the Aussie price

Helpful Links

BlackBerryUser

AFAIK no Australian operators are yet offering the KEYone.

However, as the last BlackBerry Telstra offered to the consumer was the Classic, and the last offered to Business customers was the Passport, I fear I'm going to have to change carriers for the KEYone 

Doddsie

Back in stock at selfridges now. About $700 landed.
Doddsie

Link to selfridges is here...
http://www.selfridges.com/GB/en/cat/blackberry-keyone-smartphone_659-10099-KEYONE/
Real shame we're always so far behind in aussieland (and self righteous about it).
notbadday

Thanks a lot Doddsie.

Itswilla

So it seems Telstra will be stocking the Keyone. A source inside Telstra informed me that this was communicated internally last week. Looking forward to getting one soon!
notbadday

Great! Hope this is true Smiley Happy. I will wait another month for this. Otherwise, I will go with Selfridges as many others do.

notbadday

Fawad

Hope it works out for BlackBerry in Australia despite late release and hefty price tag.
I got mine from Selfridges since end of April and rocking it ever since.
AdamBoy64

If Telstra pick it up, that will be fantastic. Here's hoping we hear more about it from them soon.‎
If not, Selfridges sounds like a good option.

I'd need to be on the ball though - seems like their stock goes pretty quick.

Thanks for all the responses guys.‎
Clancy10

I've heard from some inside sources regarding previous BlackBerry devices which ended up with nothing.  The only rumour I've had substantiated was the Classic.

Until you get a solid announcement and see it on the website, I would be skeptical from the get-go.

Doddsie

Pretty reasonable reviews popping up now people have had some serious time with it. http://www.zdnet.com/article/one-month-with-the-blackberry-keyone-productivity-and-battery-life-trum...
Doddsie
AdamBoy64

Interesting to note that the BlackBerry KEYone listing at JB Hi-Fi now indicates that it is a 'Best Seller'.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/phones/Outright-Mobile-Handsets/blackberry/blackberry-keyone-32gb-handset-...

I'm reading more about the all-black variant of the KEYone, with additional memory/storage (4Gb/64Gb rather than 3Gb/32Gb).. it'd be nice to see this model released worldwide.

http://www.gsmarena.com/teaser_suggests_blackberry_could_show_off_allblack_keyone_at_ifa-news-26659....

This coming to a carrier here in Australia is more wishful thinking than anything at this point.

AdamBoy64

Searching through the JB Hi-Fi website.. it looks like it is no longer available.

I didn't see it ever drop below $899, which is a shame.

Looks like it's no longer available at Selfridges either.

If anyone did want to share details on where / how they can pick up the KEYone, that would be great.

AdamBoy64

Okay, so the upgraded Black Edition is available from JB Hi-Fi.
That's good news.

https://www.gsmarena.com/blackberry_keyone_black_edition_now_available_in_australia-news-27926.php
Clancy10

Also guys, be weary about who you're buying your devices from.  BlackBerrystore are being sued by BlackBerry for selling fraudulent devices.  

https://utbblogs.com/blackberry-protect-trademark-australian-retailer/

Highlighted
Doddsie

Yep. Acquired a couple of devices from them. Received all the updates etc and they worked well. Pity they were so useless at repairs.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now