CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
serendipity19
Level 1: Cadet

Blackberry Priv

Hi - really wanting to purchase a Blackberry PRIV, it looks awesome and would be particularly good for security purposes (and my business).  Have been a loyal Telstra and Blackberry supporter for 20+ years, have purchased my last Blackberry phone overseas because Telstra hasn't supported.  This updated phone will be amazing, come on Telstra, give it a go!  surely there is room for this model????

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
14 REPLIES 14
eltonjc
Level 2: Rookie

Re: Blackberry Priv

I'm also keen to upgrade my Telstra Z30 to the Priv.

Multi-billion dollar companies like Apple have their fingers in the "Telstra Till" and have an uncanny ability to steer the Telstra ship - money is king!

I hope Telstra do get this product as I will be first in line to buy!

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi EltonJc

We haven't been advised that we will be stocking this new Blackberry phone as yet, however if you submit your details 

http://tel.st/stayinformed we'll let you know when we hear anything. 

Regards 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

jansen

Hello Moderator. You suggested registering for the "Keep Informed" section about the Blackberry priv, however there is no listing there for Blackberry, so it's effectively useless to us.

Please advise or update that Website to include Blackberry as a listed brand.

Thanks.

@Lindy wrote:

Hi EltonJc

We haven't been advised that we will be stocking this new Blackberry phone as yet, however if you submit your details 

http://tel.st/stayinformed we'll let you know when we hear anything. 

Regards 

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Jansen

That's really disappointing to see that the Blackberry is no longer in the Expression of Interest form. I'm really sorry to have lead you there. 

As we still  have not been advised if we will be stocking this device, I would suggest keeping an eye on our Telstra Facebook, and Telstra Exchange pages http://exchange.telstra.com.au/ in case any information becomes available. 

Regards 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

jansen

Any update on Telstra Stocking the Balckberry Priv please??

mitchduhig

Hi Jansen,

I was speaking to online Telstra support about a week ago, and they confirmed they would be stocking the Priv, with it most likely arriving in late January, early Feb.
This answer seems to vary on who you ask though...

Clancy04
Level 3: Gumshoe

According to PC World, Telstra has confirmed that they will NOT be stocking the Priv by BlackBerry.

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/review/blackberry/priv/590469/

RSM

This maybe a little too late, however I will make my comment, I have to say that currently I'm extremly dissappointed that the blackberry smart phones are not available for supply to telstra customers. I have never use any other carrier other than Telstra, In saying that I have had many a mobile phone since there introduction on grand scale, for the past 10 years I have had Blackberry phones and have never been disappointed in any of the blackberry phones that I have own. I just today had to go and order a new phone due to my Z30, through my own fault has stopped working. I run a small business so the mobile phone is a important tool.

I find the amount phones that telstra do have are basically more supply and demand type phones, however Blackberry smart phones have been very under rated mostly due to lack of understanding the blackberry phone and software systems. The lastest 2 blackberry phone I would have thought Telstra as retail outlet would stock the phone and have people trained to understand the operating systems that are a available via blackberry. Blackberry phones are extremely reliable and my Z30 after 2 years still works for and up 36 hrs without charging the phone and I'm on my phone a lot during business hrs. Unfortunately i tried to change my crack screen and buggered it.

The latest 2 blackberry phones The Passport & Priv have a lot more to offer users than what general people hear about. Businesses would most likely be one of biggest buyers if telstra understood the business advantages over other phones. Secruity should be everyone 1st priorty followed by quaility & relilablity and blackberry have one of the best privacy systems available so much so that they won't give any government access, so big brother is very restricted. Every person will have different perspecitive on the different phones on the market, however my point is telstra are being very selective and possibly very short sighted when supply and demand, is out weighed by media advertising as opposed to explaining to business the advanges to telecommunications phone and applications. I'm not saying that blackberry is for all, however they are many customers like myself that use the phones for other things than just the game apps, yes blackberry apps are more designed for US markets but that doesn't mean there not suitable for here either.

Today I ordered the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge + and I'm sure i will work just fine however if given the option today I would not have brought the phone without exploring the Blackberry passport or Priv first. Both of these phones are available here in Australia via the outlet in Sydney however 24 to 48 hrs cando a lot of damage to one business like myself when your customers can not contact you.

RIM - Blackberry are struggling with there phone sales and I do blame there marketing but it doesn't help when telcommunication outlets like Telstra don't support or supply the phones and are basically forcing people to change even if unintentionally hence wiping out any potential sales. Companies like T- Mobile are supporting and selling the new Priv phones. Telstra is like T- mobile a major communication supplier, so why is telstra not supplying.       

sas1

this is what telstra needs to be doing 

BlackBerry, once a dominant handset vendor in Australia, has its eyes set on regaining its position in the Australian market with the launch of PRIV through Optus.

The company had seen a decline in market share in Australia, as both big organisations as well as local telecom companies drifted away from the platform. The dwindling sales were reflected across the globe.

According to a report by The Australian, BlackBerry enjoyed a 19.9 percent share of the global smartphone market in Q4 2009, which dropped to 2.9 percent by Q1 2013.

An IDC report on global smartphone OS market share reveals that the BlackBerry OS continued to decline from the second quarter of 2012 to Q2 2015. The shipments fell from 4.9 percent in 2012 to just 0.3 percent in Q2, 2015.

The Canadian firm embraced the Android OS and launched BlackBerry PRIV in November 2015. Through Optus, the first Blackberry Android phone landed in Australia on Feb.3.

PRIV still runs on Android 5.1.1 Lollipop, but the company is expected to roll out the Android 6.0 Marshmallow in the first quarter of 2016, as reported by Tampa Bay Review.

Since its launch, Optus has doubled its projected sales of PRIV in Australia, clarified Matthew Ball, managing director, BlackBerry Australia. 

BlackBerry has also been on an "acquisition spree" over the last 18 months, with the company acquiring Secusmart and Movirtu in 2014; WatchDox, a file security firm; AtHoc, a leading provider of secure and networked crisis communication and Good Technology in 2015.

These acquisitions fall in the line with the firm's agenda of upgrading its security features and integrating all the services from the acquired companies. Meanwhile, the company also made an effort to upgrade its BlackBerry Enterprise Server.

On Optus, the BlackBerry PRIV price starts from AU$67 per month which includes unlimited calls, text messages and 500MB + 1GB bonus data.

In January 2016, BlackBerry PRIV was released in the Netherlands, Italy, Spain, India and France. In the U.K., Vodafone exclusively sells the smartphone with a sliding keyboard.

In the US, BlackBerry is now available on AT&T, TELUS, Rogers, Bell and recently on T-Mobile. From March onwards, Verizon is also scheduled to sell BlackBerry PRIV.

maybe telstra is not thinking very well?

Clancy04
Level 3: Gumshoe

Yup.  Optus actually sold out in the first week.  Priv devices are currently on back order.  Some of Telstra's own customers either jumped ship or purchased a device outright to use on Telstra's network.

McTodd

It is almost as if Apple are extorting Telstra.

Fashionistas seem to think Blackberries are old hat. Let me say, I have challenged many of my friends - who have poured scorn on my Blackberries - to a productivity race for typical phone uses such as creating a contact, calling a contact, looking up a contact, making an appointment, setting a reminder, texting, photographing, sending an email; the sorts of things a smart phone is design primarily to do.

ALL of them took at least twice the time I could do these things on my Passport.

They may have less applications than the iPod phones and the Android phones, but ownership is cheaper and the productivity is WAY ahead. They invariably get better reception than the competitors. Add to that the fact that the company is not an advertising business and you have a winner as far as I am concerned.

Pity the fashion conscious remainder of the community do not appear to see it that way.

McTodd

A quick search on Optus website and they are reported as out of stock.

Telstra should be offering it.

deedeedeedee11

Im bought a priv from optus outright and am using on telstra works great however non of the privs support all the bands on the telstra netowork which ive noticed when using with my huawei mate 8 which has faster data speeds apprently thats got something to do with the 700 frequence

i do wish telstra would stock its a cool phone 

Level 21: Augmented

see my comment here

Telstra customer 15+ yrs, I am not a Telstra employee and never have been

Kudos and thanks welcomed

If I have managed to outsmart myself and give a Solution please mark it as so.
Service Status in your area
Someone asked to check your ping but dont know how
Check all your connected programs

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about direct debit and the Telstra 24x7 App ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now