CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

ADSL Running at 4Mbs down and 0.3 up (when lucky)

Hi all, 

We have a Telstra ADSL business connection for work that is running really poorly. It has fallen to me to see if I can do anything to figure the problem out. 

We had a problem in the past with the modem dropping out constantly or resetting and we tried to get a firmware upgrade that could not be pushed through for some reason. 

We moved the DNS and DHCP services for the LAN off to a seperate small server and disabled them on the modem. This did help with local issues but the modem kept dropping out. So we replaced the modem with a different one, left the DNS/DHCP disabled on the new one and over the last few days that we have been getting lots of timeouts when trying to connect to places. 

After some playing around and some diagnosis we found we were getting around 4Mbs down and only 0.1 - 0.3 Mbs on the uplink. 

We don't think anything has changed on the network, we scanned for things sucking up the upload and can't find anything on the network. 

We do know there was a telstra line profile applied in the past to help deal with connection issues in the past. So we were wondering if this might be the culprint. 

Anyway, i'm at a bit of a loss. Any ideas? Should I keep hunting for a local problem or is it worth bugging Telstra?

Jason

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: ADSL Running at 4Mbs down and 0.3 up (when lucky)

The upstream is running at a screaming 0.03 Mbps today according to speedtest.net

So even worse that I thought. 

Highlighted

An additional thought on the off chance anybody can suggest what to do. 

We think the crashing of the speed of the connection may have started during the most recent bout of rain in sydney. 

It was running alright a week ago and we noticed the problem Monday. 

Also, just ran a test, unplugged the whole network from the router. Just 1 laptop and the router, speed test came back the same. So at least I don't think it is our network that is doing anything to use all the bandwidth. 

Jason

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Jasonr,

Do you have a Telstra Business service, or a Bigpond service? For Bigpond (residential customers) uploads are capped at a maximum of 0.3-0.4mbps. Where as Telstra Business services have the ability for higher uploads. 

In regards to the speed, I would suggest giving us a call to troubleshoot this one. There may be a fault with the service that requires looking into.

Brodie

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Thanks Brodie

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

@jasonr wrote:

An additional thought on the off chance anybody can suggest what to do. 

We think the crashing of the speed of the connection may have started during the most recent bout of rain in sydney. 

It was running alright a week ago and we noticed the problem Monday. 

Also, just ran a test, unplugged the whole network from the router. Just 1 laptop and the router, speed test came back the same. So at least I don't think it is our network that is doing anything to use all the bandwidth. 

Jason

Dont think the problem is with the rain in Sydney - I have been getting these download and upload speeds and I'm in Adelaide and we aint had any rain.  I've also been getting a dozen or so drop outs since December last year (2013), and untold problems getting access to Custdata - now their telstra.net website has been down for last hour or so (just came up in last minnute), but the /custdata page still wonr load.

Good luck with your problem solving with Telstra

My Telstra

Manage your business services on your mobile with the My Telstra app.

Find out more