CrowdSupport®
mjnoone
Level 3: Gumshoe

Bandwidth issues

Please help. For several years I have suffered severe speed fluctuations on my now excellent copper. Speed tests are errattic with wild fluctuations from 130k up to 10.6 Mbps. I'm 2.7 cable km from exchange and get mostly 9Mbps up to 10.6Mbps.

I have cert 2 data cabling, have wired my home from lead in with cat 5 cable. I am a "work from home" computer technician, slow Internet speed is rather frustrating when trying to download software possibly on 2-3 systems simultaneously.  The cabling here is all cat 5 from entry to premisis. Cabling runs to first point (In kitchen) local phone there; then approx 30 m to dedicated rj11 socket in office where modem is. To minimise any possible interference; is it advisable to re move the dedicated cable to office from the first point and joint it directly to entry point to premesis?

Thanks for any definate advice.

Mike Noone

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Bandwidth issues

Eliminating the point in hte kitchen might get you a very small increase in the maximum speed.

Being on ADSL and having those large fluctuations, it is going to be a case of congestion at the exchange. Your internal wiring isn't going to cause fluctuations like that unless you have run the cable through your microwave.

There isn't really anything that can be done to solve that problem. The NBN will alleviate the problem to some extent, although congestion still exists (just not to the same degree).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
mjnoone

So. What are Telstra doing about these "congestion issues"? Via TIO complaints, I get the "nothing can be done" answer. Clearly these issues of congestion will keep escalating. Even my customers on NBN already are complaining bitterly about Australian internet; almost every customer I speak with has something to say about their internet. I accept the copper network is in serious decay and will be responsible in many cases, yet there seems major money should be spent on the copper from node etc to maximise the performance of our "decaying" copper. Any comments?
Highlighted

The congestion issue has nothing to do with the copper from the exchange to your premises. That is cause by a lack of backhaul capacity from the exchange to the major Point of Interconnects. Telstra isn't going to the the large sums of money required to increase the backhaul to their remaining exchanges due to the NBN rollout and the lack of ability for them to recoup the costs (they are a publicly listed company and technically the law would prevent them from such a wasteful investment - Australian Corporations Law is all about protecting the shareholder investment).

The congestion issue on the NBN is different. There is plenty of backhaul available from the Nodes to the NBN Points of Interconnect, but NBN Co's pricing policy makes it so expensive that RSPs have to balance the amount of CVC (backhaul) that they purchase, against what average usage is and then apply the cost considerations. If an RSP was to provide you with a connection that guaranteed that you would be able to use your connection at the maximum rate that your line was physically able to cope with, then you would be paying a fortune.

FTTN does have the limitation of distance as to what the maximum speed that an individual connection can achieve, but the only company to blame about those limitations is NBN Co. I am just over 1250m from the node and can only get a maximum of 17Mbps, luckily I don't have the problem of network congestion in my area 90% of the time, so we scrape by. There is nothing that my RSP can do in order to assist in getting this fixed, it is purely NBN poor network planning and cost cutting.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
mjnoone

Thank you kindly for this info. I did establish "backhaul " is  probably the issue, after doing further research on the issue. 

I have heard this term used, yet was unsure what it meant.  So clearly Australia is destined for 3rd world internet services for a long time. I really needed someone to explain just what and where the problem lies. Now I "think" I understand much better after your detailed explanation. Take care and I BIG THANK YOU. :-)

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your business services on your mobile with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now