Highlighted
Tcm9669
Level 2: Rookie

Business broadband if I have ABN?

Hi,

At the moment I am paying $49.95 on personal mobile broadband which I get 4GB, not I noticed that for the same price, if you apply under business you can get 8GB, for the SAME PRICE!

Now my question is, I do have an ABN (sole trader), does that mean I can change over to the 8GB business plan? Or is there more to it than just an ABN.

Thanks.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
nelly82
Level 16: Secret Agent

Re: Business broadband if I have ABN?

If your personal mobile broadband currently is a Bigpond and you want to go to a Telstra Mobile Broadband plan for business customers then you will need to start a new contract and get a new Telstra Mobile broadband device because the Bigpond devices do not accept normal Telstra sim cards from memory.

It is up to you if you want to keep the Bigpond service active or not however if you do decide to cancel you will be paying early termination fees if it is still in contract and you will lose the bigpond email address attached to the bigpond service and device which could be a hassle if you are using it.

Have I been helpful? Click that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Found a solution? Then mark the solution in the thread to help others find the answer!
Tcm9669

Well it is a bigpond service, and I dont really care about the bigpond email.. I dont use it.. as for termination fees, its not possible to change it (as an upgrade?) and why won't the Sierra AirCard accept telstra sims? It has the Telstra logo on it.. and im sure it can be easily unlocked.. if that is the issue.

As for my main question, there is no answer.. is an ABN number enough?

nelly82
Level 16: Secret Agent

@Tcm9669 wrote:

.As for my main question, there is no answer.. is an ABN number enough?

Yes your Sole Trader ABN is enough for you to be elgible to get Business Telstra Business Broadband.

@Tcm9669 wrote:

.. as for termination fees, its not possible to change it (as an upgrade?)  

No. Bigpond is a consumer product and cannot be updraded to a Business Telstra Mobile Broadband Plan. Also because your current personal bigpond account is more than likely in the consumer billing system ( starts with  2000xxxx 13 digit account number) And business customers are billed in a different system.  Hence why you will pay early cancellation fees.

@Tcm9669 wrote:

and why won't the Sierra AirCard accept telstra sims? It has the Telstra logo on it.. and im sure it can be easily unlocked.. if that is the issue. 

AFAIK, ( and correct me if I am wrong) The bigpond devices are locked to bigpond and only Bigpond sim cards will only work in them.  Not too sure why it is set up this way but when I used to work as a Telstra Store consultant, Any attempts to unlock these devices for customers proved to be fruitless endeavours.

Have I been helpful? Click that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Found a solution? Then mark the solution in the thread to help others find the answer!
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

Tcm9669 wrote: 

As for my main question, there is no answer.. is an ABN number enough?

To connect a New Telstra Mobile Broadband Service, Sure! However:

@Tcm9669 wrote:

as for termination fees, its not possible to change it (as an upgrade?) and why won't the Sierra AirCard accept telstra sims? It has the Telstra logo on it.. and im sure it can be easily unlocked.. if that is the issue.

The device is setup as a Bigpond Device and will only work with a Bigpond SIM. This is the way its been setup, and whilst it may be techincally possible to unlock it, its not supported by Telstra (AFAIK)

As for Termination Fees, you are not upgrading your service. You are changing from one product (Bigpond Mobile Broadband) to another Product (Telstra Mobile Broadband). Therefore, you are breaking one contract and entering into another. A call centre consultant may be willing to waive the Contract Cancellation Fees (Emphais added) however they are not obligated to do so.

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Tcm9669

Well, for me it is upgrading haha.. from 4GB to 8GB!

Okay thank you very much for all your help.. I'll look into it and see what is possible and what is not.

iFix-au
Level 4: Private Eye

Tcm9669 wrote: and why won't the Sierra AirCard accept telstra sims?

You should be all ok with the device you have, I have deployed a range of TMB with a variety of devices, including for example Maxon 3G BP-3 Modems.

Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

@iFix-au wrote:

Tcm9669 wrote: and why won't the Sierra AirCard accept telstra sims?

You should be all ok with the device you have, I have deployed a range of TMB with a variety of devices, including for example Maxon 3G BP-3 Modems.

Bigpond Devices may be locked to the Bigpond Network, and therefore cannot accept Telstra SIM's.

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Goodbye Excess Data Charges

Hello New Plans.

Find out more