CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Cable connection has halved speed

I had a gateway max connected to Telstra HFC in the south east of Melbourne and a speed test would always show the connection speed over 100 Mbps download and 4 Mbps upload. I've replaced this today with a smart modem 2 with cable adapter. I've done a number of speed tests this evening and the download speed is now less than 50 Mbps download and the upload remains 4 Mbps.

I'm paying for the 100 Mbps connection and really not happy. I would appreciate learning why installing the "new" smart modem 2 would mean I lose half the download speed.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Cable connection has halved speed

Hi MarkAGregory,

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to Crowd Support!

That's very odd to find and I can appreciate this would be frustrating.

Since you've got the Smart Modem 2, does this mean you've recently migrated over to the NBN by chance? 

I'm aware this may seem trivial but I recommend unplugging the Modem completely and then reconnect it to see if this has any impact on your speed. If you're still finding the same issue, then I would recommend going through these troubleshooting steps as this can help restore a stronger connection.

Please let me know how you go.

- Matty

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

My Telstra

Manage your business services on your mobile with the My Telstra app.

Find out more