Highlighted
loftgroup
Level 1: Cadet

DNS Propagation

HI

Hoping you can give me some information. Recently we have changed over many of our websites from one hosing provider to another (not with Telstra/bigpond) however there always seems to be a lag in when then change in name servers takes effect on bigpond services.

Eg: we change the name servers over and can access the website through a phone, through my home connection (not with Telstra), but not through the office connection (Bigpond). Clients that are also on Bigpond also experience this problem at their end, but it is not a problem on any other isp.

Can you please explain to me how this occurs and what we can do to fix it?

Thank you

Vicki

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
16 REPLIES 16
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

Re: DNS Propagation

I can't comment on Bigpond (no info I could find) however Telstra Internet Direct provides two resolvers or forwarding DNS servers, which are recursive, caching only nameservers.

As for the update time, I'll leave that to a Mod (or Gareth might know?)

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Airman

Hi ,

I have the same problem

Our domain expired (forgot to renew)

It has been nearly 60 hrs sinced i renewed the domain and you cant view the Domain or send and recieve emails whilist on telstra 3G in the NT

All other states seem to be ok

It seems the DNS sever for the Telstra NT hasnt updated

I have just spendt 3.5 hrs on the phone to telstra and spoke to 10 different people none of which could help or knew what i was talking about

Can anyone help ?

Thanks

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Airman,

It can take a specific amount of hours for DNS to renew. Is the Domain hosted by us?

Brodie

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

doylehouse

I am also having this issue. Our website was launched on Monday. All other service providers in Australia can see the website except for Telstra customers. When I check www.whatsmydns.net it seems that Telstra have not propagated the domain yet. How long does it take?
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Doylehouse,

It depends on what you set your TTL to, as Telstra can only go off what you set for your domain. If you have made changes during that timeframe our servers will not update their records until such time as the previous TTL expires.

Brodie

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

doylehouse

The TTL is set to one hour and the changes were made on Monday!! Every other isp can see the website except for Telstra customers.

I can see the website on mobile broadband but not on fixed line broadband. I have tested it with friends around the country and anyone on telstra gets the server cannot be found error.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Doylehouse, 

Thanks for the PM Smiley Happy

I've had a domains contact look through the website DNS and our records are showing the same as everyone else. From our records there shouldn't be any issue connecting. The only advice I have is to check over the settings for the website.

Brodie

Joshua1237

so a few years down the track since this original posters problem, yet here we are again.

Issue: Telstra's ISP Caching

Symptom: every broadband connection in Australia using Telstra ADSL receives an error message for a website I am working on that I have just switched the DNS for.

Checked: every non-telstra customer I know who uses another ISP for their ADSL, and they are vieweing the website perfectly.

Checked: multiple 3g and 4g connections (telstra and non-telstra) and they also view the website perfectly.

Call placed to telstra support, took a long time to have her finally understand that I was not experiencing 'browser issues' or 'cookie related problems', until she finally admitted that she had no idea. 

I was offered a business hours only service, with additional fees to have an 'expert' help me with my browser related problem. 

Found this support thread, and realise that this may actually be a very long lasting problem.

Just how long does telstra's ISP Caching last?

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Joshua1237,

Did you see Brodie_Telstra's post over here: https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet/Telstra-DNS-cache-is-SUPER-slow-to-update/td... What is your Time to Live set at?

Kabibottle

Hi there, 

I just changed my DNS servers after transferring the hosting of my domain www.kabibottle.com to godaddy and there appears to be an issue with Telstra propagating. 

For some reason the website is coming up just find from my 3G/4G Vodafone network, but once I try it from my home internet (Telstra), it keeps comngu up with an error message saying:

DNS Can't be reach

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Kabibottle, 

I've just checked your website on an BigPond ADSL connection and your website can be reached and can be viewed.  I'm thinking the reason this happened was because you just changed your DNS servers.  I believe that the cause is your Time To Live (TTL) settings.  Telstra's website caching process goes by your domains TTL settings, and if you have made changes during that timeframe our servers will not update their records until such time as the previous TTL expires.

Hope that helps.
- Ben

LuckySpoon

Hi,

We are having problems with DNS propogation for a domain we pushed last night.

The nameservers were changed nearly 24 hours ago, on 1 hour TTLs, but it is still not showing.

Please advise?

Thanks

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi LuckySpoon,

Are you still having difficulties with this domain, or has it resolved itself?

- Shelly

bigfish1
Level 2: Rookie

Same for me,

i can get the website to work on other devices even on a VPN but not through my testra cable, firefox, chrombe, torch

www.solomonpacific.com just shows a blank page after 24 hours.

everyone else can see it except me on telstra crap cable service, that i am paying too much for.

Why deos telstra insist on doing this and having staff that you can hardly understand WTF they
are saying because they #know 2 tenths of F all about anything.

Indians and singporiens with a mouth full of marbles is impossible to comprehnd WTF they are saying.

Why does telstra subject its cutomers to this kind of service?

seriously pissed off

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi bigfish1, 

I've tested www.solomonpacific.com on our BigPond connection and can view the website.  

You may like to check your domains Time To Live (TTL) settings, as Telstra can only go off what you've set. If you have made changes within that timeframe our servers will not update their records until the previous TTL expires. 

itbeyond

I am right in the middle of this exact problem and have two zones in issue:

If you do a lookup on any DNS around the whole world or any online service you can see all the records for triathlonoz.com. Jump onto any Telstra residential DNS server and they all work perfectly however jump onto the business resolvers at 139.130.4.4 and NUP - all queries SOA, A, NS, MX all state:

*** No start of authority (SOA) records available for triathlonoz.com

I was up all noght working on our other site exploroz.com and no matter what I did I could not get the Telstra server to find the update - i had and still have the TTL's on this domain set for 60 seconds as I want to try to move again but after 9 hours of downtime I am not sure I want to. What I ended up doing was revert back to the old hosting location by rekeying the zone file.

What is also intersting with the 60 sec TTL is that the Telstra server now is showing that the NS records are set for 1 days but clearly they are 60 secs.  

This is very clearly a Telstra issue and seems to have nothing to do with TTL as the triathlonoz.com zone is not even loaded into the DNS server so why the heck will it not go and pull the zone from the current servers that the rest of the world can see?

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your business services on your mobile with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now