CrowdSupport®
keithatpda
Level 4: Private Eye

NBN and RSPs Slow speeds who's to blame?

I have a range of questions and observations I would like comments on.

I notice that the words speed and highspeed have vanished from everyones advertising.
- are we finally getting close to a reality check and honesty???
- ACCC thinking about taking action, is that the reason???

Telstra, Aussie Broad Band and NBNco still try and blame the other party for speed issues.
* Communication with NBNco is nearly impossible, I have tried on line complaints several times. The email responses have ranged from, talk to your rsp and amazingly also an abject apology saying they were investigating and were sincerely sorry the service was unacceptable. NBNco do not acknowledge "congestion" exists. AMAZING.

* Communications with Telstra are easier, previously business broadband was supported by Australian staff recently I have finished up with PI staff, I think because of the Residential nature of NBNFW.
The PI complaints management staff are excellent but they do not seem to have access to any facts regarding the network and upgrades.
Telstra say the the less than 5% speed situation at peak times is congestion.
They also say it is NOT A CVC issue. (bandwidth?) Are they telling the truth???

Telstra cleared one of my complaints earlier this year because there was a tower upgrade.
Nothing happened to my service!
I am a concerned, Telstra quiet generously credited me for 2 months.
They also gave me a free upgrade from 25/5 to 50/20 because they said it would help a little.

* To prove a point I signed up with Aussie Broadband 50/20 to see if they had the same issues.
Their communications and customer service are Australian and excellent.
They do seem to be able to find out a little more re what is happening at NBNco.

* The Ballarat area seems unique in that it has NBNFTTP, NBNFTTN, NBNFW, AND people with zero NBN service.
NBNco are now installing 3.4GHz services despite it's likely poorer service area.
Are they installing it to reduce congestion or to add more customers???

*Everyone says NBNFW is a crap service and the client should not expect anything decent.
That fact is my location is borderline on signal strength.
(we did have some technical issues last year and six months ago, sorted by Telstra and NBNco)
(Telstra account confusion and NBNco two towers inline causing some sort of interference)
BUT it now almost never drops out
SPEED varies from 5% to 95% of that purchased
SPEED VARIATION is purely congestion, time of day, damn "netflix".
I deal with Europe, China and the USA, Time of day congestion wrecks the service.

* As you can tell from this, I hope, I am a reasonable person.
I would just like NBNco and Telstra to give consumers the Truth and the facts.
We know NBNco have totally underestimated the demand.

They need double the number of FW towers for a start.
We think someone is not being honest, is it the RSPs or NBNco
Can anyone PLEASE give me a truthful answer.???

There is a lot lot more to this, the comments by contractors are frightening, the RSP/NBN administrative systems problems I went through last year are still happening according to new recent examples.

Sorry about any typos.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
keithatpda
Level 4: Private Eye

NBN and RSP Responsibility for slow speeds who is to blame?

I have a range of questions and observations I would like comments on.

I notice that the words speed and highspeed have vanished from everyones advertising.
- are we finally getting close to a reality check and honesty???
- ACCC thinking about taking action, is that the reason???

Telstra, Aussie Broad Band and NBNco still try and blame the other party for speed issues.
* Communication with NBNco is nearly impossible, I have tried on line complaints several times. The email responses have ranged from, talk to your rsp and amazingly also an abject apology saying they were investigating and were sincerely sorry the service was unacceptable. NBNco do not acknowledge "congestion" exists. AMAZING.

* Communications with Telstra are easier, previously business broadband was supported by Australian staff recently I have finished up with PI staff, I think because of the Residential nature of NBNFW.
The PI complaints management staff are excellent but they do not seem to have access to any facts regarding the network and upgrades.
Telstra say the the less than 5% speed situation at peak times is congestion.
They also say it is NOT A CVC issue. (bandwidth?) Are they telling the truth???

Telstra cleared one of my complaints earlier this year because there was a tower upgrade.
Nothing happened to my service!
I am a concerned, Telstra quiet generously credited me for 2 months.
They also gave me a free upgrade from 25/5 to 50/20 because they said it would help a little.

* To prove a point I signed up with Aussie Broadband 50/20 to see if they had the same issues.
Their communications and customer service are Australian and excellent.
They do seem to be able to find out a little more re what is happening at NBNco.

* The Ballarat area seems unique in that it has NBNFTTP, NBNFTTN, NBNFW, AND people with zero NBN service.
NBNco are now installing 3.4GHz services despite it's likely poorer service area.
Are they installing it to reduce congestion or to add more customers???

*Everyone says NBNFW is a crap service and the client should not expect anything decent.
That fact is my location is borderline on signal strength.
(we did have some technical issues last year and six months ago, sorted by Telstra and NBNco)
(Telstra account confusion and NBNco two towers inline causing some sort of interference)
BUT it now almost never drops out
SPEED varies from 5% to 95% of that purchased
SPEED VARIATION is purely congestion, time of day, damn "netflix".
I deal with Europe, China and the USA, Time of day congestion wrecks the service.

* As you can tell from this, I hope, I am a reasonable person.
I would just like NBNco and Telstra to give consumers the Truth and the facts.
We know NBNco have totally underestimated the demand.

They need double the number of FW towers for a start.
We think someone is not being honest, is it the RSPs or NBNco
Can anyone PLEASE give me a truthful answer.???

There is a lot lot more to this, the comments by contractors are frightening, the RSP/NBN administrative systems problems I went through last year are still happening according to new recent examples.

Sorry about any typos.

Highlighted
semaj2
Level 1: Cadet

Re: NBN and RSP Responsibility for slow speeds who is to blame?

I connected to the NBN and saw my speeds drop from 60 down/40 up on wireless to just 23 down/0.8 up.  The router supplied had a wireless backup in case the power went down and when I simulated this low and behold my speeds returned to what I was getting with my 4GX modem.  I signed up for a free 3 month trial of 100/40 but this never eventuated.  I have been advised that to get reasonable service one needs to be within 0.8km of the node.  I was 1.6km and this is what the problem was.  Getting someone to admit this is impossible.  Isn't NBN Co admitting this is a problem in rolling out its Fibre to the Kerb? So where does that leave us poor soles?

I complained to the ACCC, Telstra and wrote to my local member with the details.  The response that came back from Mitch Fifield was lacking any credibility in the area.

I had the NBN disconnected and am now back on Wireless.  It took me 4 months of regular emails and phone calls after first being told it wasn't possible to go back.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your business services on your mobile with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now