Highlighted
zseries
Level 5: Eagle Eye

NBN speed

We have had the NBN connected now for more than 1 year, we signed up for the fastest speed offered 100mb/sec. We are approx. 100metres from the node, yet even with speed boost,,,, whatever that is, we are at BEST 33mb/sec. and upload 15mb/sec. I have heard many excuses as to why it is so slow, but no definitive answer has been given. My question is, if someone waived a magic wand and did the unthinkable and replaced the last 100metres of old copper wiring with fibre optic cable as I expected that it would have been, to our internal connection point, would we get 100mb/sec or very close? If not, why not?

Thank you.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
47 REPLIES 47
Level 21: Augmented

Re: NBN speed

Are you sure you're just 100m from the node? Copper travels in mysterious ways...

Can you post your modem stats?

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
zseries

Hi and thank you for your interest, What stats would you like? BTW, the 100 metres or thereabouts was verified by NBN or Telstra.
Level 21: Augmented

Connection stats from the modem... 100m or thereabouts verified by either NBN or Telstra does not matter as much as your modem/router stats...
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

Post your modem stats:
On a Premium Home Network Gateway, T-Gateway, Gateway Max, or Gateway Max 2
(TG587, TG797, TG799, TG800):
http://10.0.0.138/ > Advanced > Broadband

On a Telstra Gateway
(Sagemcom F@st 5355):
http://10.0.0.138/ > Advanced > Gateway Settings > Device Info > General > xDSL (Bottom of Page)

On a Frontier Gateway
(DJN2130):
http://192.168.0.1/ > Advanced > Broadband

Default password is generally 'admin'
You're looking for line rates, power levels, attenuation etc

Are the tests being run over Ethernet or WiFi?
Are they being run during peak times (3PM-12AM)?
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

zseries

Sorry, I am in there now, but don't see anything showing connection stats.
Level 24: Supreme Being

Yes barring network faults you woul get 100/40 but that 100 Meters of optical fibre would have cost the taxpayers a lot more to provide and you might still be waiting for the NBN to become available in your area.

If you want fiber you can apply to NBN for a fiber connection.

https://www.nbnco.com.au/learn-about-the-nbn/network-technology/technology-choice-program/individual...

zseries

Sorry, I should have mentioned the modem is Netgear.
zseries

Regarding waiting longer for the wiring to be replaced, not an issue, I would have waited.

Which model Netgear?
zseries

Gateway Pro

If you log into the gateway http://192.168.15.1
Default username and password is admin/telstra.
Go to Advance > Home > Internet port > Connection status
The sync speed and maximum link speed should be displayed.
zseries

Sorry, I don't see these , I see.......DSL speed upstream 23 and downstream 39 approx.

Those speeds indicate the cable distance to the node must be about 800 Meters or there is a cable fault somewhere. If the cable distance was 100 to node was 100 Meters the DSL speed would be close to 100/40.

The cable in some cases does not take a direct route to the node.

The link below is a unofficial site showing the location of street cable from a property and the location of the connecting pillar, If you click on your property it will show the street cable and the distance to the connecting pillar.
http://nbnmtm.australiaeast.cloudapp.azure.com/
Level 25: The Singularity

Actually, it "might" show you the information. When I click on my house it says that it has no information.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
zseries

That is very interesting information, I found our property, and it seems we should be getting 59-99 and 23-40, way different to the actual speed.
zseries

Ok, now I understand what speed I should be getting, the next thing is what should I do to achieve it? We have had 2 different techs here to check things, one said wiring was poor and needs replacing. The second said it was acceptable and nothing needed to be done.

Does the map show your street cabling going directly to the Node if not is the total distance from your house to the connection pillar and then to the Node less than 600M then there might be some benefit in rewiring the house, but the low speed could also be due to a fault in the street cabling.

If your house used have a back to base alarm system or there are several phone wall sockets rewiring house could increase the speed.

If you have any extensions wired in off of the main socket, get them disconnected. It will make it easier to find any future problems and could give you a boost in speeds.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
zseries

Thank you for the responses, it helps a lot. This is what is showing.....
Technology: FTTN
Distance Premise-Pillar: 351m
Distance Node-Pillar: 181m
Estimated Download Rate: 58-99 Mbps
Estimated Upload Rate: 23-40 Mbps
# of Premise: 1 

On this line we have only the one socket, it runs a fax phone and the internet, nothing else.

We have a completely separate line for the house with 3 points off of the first one.

Is it only the Telstra Gateway that is plugged into the phone socket?

zseries

Yes it is, nothing else.

zseries

zseries

Ok, now I understand things a little better. Telstra has already signed off on the house cable as being fine, so would my next step be to contact Telstra,  my provider, and get them to contact NBN to look at the street wiring?

That is correct. But they will have to go through troubleshooting again and nbn co will only take it on usually if it has a line fault detected or the like.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

zseries

Ok, so if I'm getting 1/3 to possibly 1/2 the speed I should, and I am paying for the highest speed, is that not a fault? 

Not always. If your area is still in the first 18 months when people are on both the ADSL and NBN network they consider things differently or if it is CVC related then it isn't going to be a fault... but they will have to do the troubleshooting and it has to meet the NBN guidelines or NBN just bounce it back.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

zseries

Thank you for that, but I can see where this is going, we may be able to get someone out to check things, but they will find no fault, and nothing will be done. The way I see it, if we are not getting anywhere the speed we should be, there must be a fault in the line, it's simple.

Out of curiousity, what makes you think you're not getting the speed you should be?

If you're basing it on the unofficial estimator site, it also advises that it is best estimate only and is to be used just a guide.

FTTN speeds are inversely proportional to cable distance and it is an exponential drop. Also the node that is approx 100 meters from you, is not necessarily the one you are connected to it or that your copper run goes directly to it
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
zseries

Well I guess the fact that I was offered 100MB/sec, I pay for that, and I receive MUCH less, not to mention that my modem stats say 49.9, and the Very best I have ever noted was 39Mb/sec....generally in the 20's. I am as I mentioned, and have been told by an attending tech that I am a little over 100metres from the node, as mentioned earlier. Looking at the estimated "unofficial" speed, I should be getting between 59-99 Mb/sec, I understand that this is a guide only, but it would have to be a complete waste of time compiling it if you think it could be SO far removed from the real speed. If it is that far out, is there a better one? As I mentioned previously, I have had it with the never ending run around, lies etc, what I was hoping for, and til now I thought I was finally getting some truth to all of this BS. On another topic how can users trust anything, I have very little faith in the Telstra speed test, it is generally higher than any other, to make them look better I suspect?

Just for interest, if you went to your shop and bought a 2 litre milk and returned home, opened it and you only had 1/2 litre, would you be happy with that or return it for a refund?

zseries

Now getting back to my original question, if the copper was replaced with fibre optic to my outlet here, could I in fact expect to be receiving close to the 100Mb/sec? If not could someone please explain why not?

Thank you.

On FTTP then the line is capable of 1000Mbps, so you would get as close to 100Mbps as possible but the speed would still be impacted by the amount of CVC the RSP has at the time and how many people are connected at any time. During peak hours you should get roughly the speed listed as the ‘premium evening speed’, Telstra currently list these as roughly 80/30 during peak times, and 90/30 outside of those times. As an example, I currently am getting 93/36. 100 is the maximum, but you will always have a slight lose for the VoIP/NGC Phone Service and the like.

Also, the Telstra speed test is usually slightly faster due to the fact that it is connecting to the nearest Telstra server, whereas other tests can use servers in different places and usually the rule is the further away the server the greater the loss of speed.
Helpful Links

zseries

Thank you for that confirmation, it helps a lot, and I appreciate it. Clarity is a rare thing these days it seems. I would have to conclude then that there are issues with the underground copper wiring, and the house wiring as the first tech we had concluded nearly a year ago. We have always had issues with the ADSL constantly going out, we would get guys here in our street at the pit going nuts at the state of it all and when I mentioned this to the guys connecting us to the NBN, they assured us that that would be the thing of the past with this "new technology", a false promise I'm afraid, we are still running on it, or trying to. I was told by the first tech that NBN now own the cabling to the first point in the house, and at worst from the eave line to that first point would be replaced by them, since he measured a large speed difference between these 2 points, and he booked in for the following day. When no-one showed the next day, we called to see what was happening, and were told nothing needed to be done, our speed was fine. Telstra sent another guy a few weeks later, he confirmed that all was ok, and nothing was going to be replaced. Noting all of this, where do I go from here, any ideas? Am I "allowed" to replace the house cable since I do not own it?

Thank you for your time again.

zseries

Just for interest at the moment I am on 16/12 and 12 is good compared to the 6 upload I had over the weekend. Uploading photos is painfully slow.

The wiring in the house can be modified by a licenced cabler, but if the issue is out of the front of the house then it would be unlikely to help.

If you aren't getting the support you expect from the standard support team the only real way to escalate it is to lodge an official complaint if you haven't done so already. They will be able to work with you and the relevant teams to investigate for you. But it depends on what the line is capable as to when NBN would be willing to step in. If the line is capable of only around the 50Mbps mark, they will not step in for speeds at or above 25 and only if it isn't capacity caused from my understanding.
Helpful Links

zseries

Thank you again for the information DrQ, very helpful. As you have possibly noted I have the speed at the modem as 49/22, I believed that this was constant, but looking at it just then it is now 40/22, I have not noted it that low before, interesting. I am unsure how all of this works, is there a reason why I am not getting this on a speed test, if this is the speed at the modem? Since I built the house and understand where things are, I will run new cable to the eave line junction I think, then have it connected as you mentioned, at least then there should be no doubt where the issue lies, and it will be interesting if anything changes. At least no one can say that I haven't tried to do my bit.

Thanks again for your input.

It should in theory have two speeds listed. One listed as current line speed and one as Max line speed. The max line speed shouldn’t normally change much but the current line speed will.

The current line speed is the speed the modem is syncing to the network at, there will almost always be some loss from that speed, particularly during peak time because that is when the CVC capacity limitations are at their worst.

With nothing else at play the actual speed should be relatively close to the current line speed (say within 10%) when there is no CVC issues, and nothing else impacting the connection.

If the tech is saying the line fault is in the line in and that this is where there is the dramatic drop in speed then fixing that may be enough to make it work better. The problem is that there is so many factors there is no exact best answer.
Helpful Links

zseries

Ok, and be assured, I appreciate your time helping me with this. I have the Netgear gateway Pro, and I am looking in the advanced section and then connection status, I get this... is this not correct?Connection Status

Default Gateway

Lease Obtained
2 days, 10 hours, 40 minutes
Lease Expires
0 days, 4 hours, 0 minutes
DSL Speed Upstream
22480kbps
DSL Speed Downstream
40580kbps

@Yastiandrie I haven’t used the pro gateway, I am not sure if you have one in the office or have used one, but do you know how the stats are listed in it and where?
Helpful Links

We don't but I know where one is. I should know tomorrow morning sometime where to find it in the GUI
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

Cheers. Much appreciated. Smiley Happy
Helpful Links

Advanced > Internet Port > Statistics

zseries

Thank you guys, I have this....

Gateway stats.png

zseries

We are having a bad morning, this is our speed...NBN speed 6_20am 13_3_2018.png

That would appear to mean that you have a congestion problem. More CVC required for your area with those figures.
zseries

Any ideas who I can contact to get this to happen without spending several hours on the phone?
Support Team
Support Team

The best thing to do zseries would be to contact our NBN Assurance Team directly via 1800 834 273. I appreciate you are not wanting to be stuck on the phone for a length of time however, our NBN Assurance Team are the best and only one able to assist with this for you.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

zseries

Thank you for your help, but I believe I have already tried this number before and I was told nothing needed to be done, I don't hold out much hope that will be different this time.

Thank you.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your business services on your mobile with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more