sufood
Level 3: Gumshoe

Netgear NIGHTHAWK M1 Router

Answered
I just purchased a Netgear Nighthawk M1 on a sole trader account.  

The sales team said it could and would be configured with a public IP address.  

I got the router home, started and set it up and it has a private IP address (in range 10.*.*.*), not a public ip address. 

Is this something that will take a while to enable and I should just wait?  If so how long please?

Or do I need to call Telstra to activate it?

Or do I need to make a change in the setup?  Can't see anything obvious in the docs, admin tool or searching online...

Any help most gratefully appreciated.
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: Netgear NIGHTHAWK M1 Router

Is it a 'business' class service, or a personal/consumer class service? Sole Trader services may be setup to use one or the other.

I ask because on personal/consumer plans Telstra won't activate public IPs, aka GPTEXB3. It is reserved for business class services.

EDIT:
Confirmation - https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Mobile-Broadband-3G-4G/Public-IP-on-Telstra-Mobile-Broadband/...

If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Accepted Solution

Unfortunately sufood, the advise is incorrect.

If it's placed on a personal plan type, even as a sole trader with an ABN, rather than a business-class plan then you are unable to get the specific code added to the service which would provide a public-IP. Smiley Sad

If you get it on a business plan then you can request the GPTEXB3 code be added to your service. This allows the service to get a public routable IP. Then if I recall correctly you use the telstra.extranet APN rather than telstra.internet

If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
sufood
Accepted Solution

Thanks Kalak, all sorted.

Needed to be a business account and public Ip code applied to SIM.  All good now.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

It is an account level option that needs to be activated. I don't know if the sales people would be able to have actually do it but the Mobile Assurance team should be able to get it sorted on 132000 and say "mobile faults" - they should be able to get it activated for you if it isn't.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Accepted Solution

Is it a 'business' class service, or a personal/consumer class service? Sole Trader services may be setup to use one or the other.

I ask because on personal/consumer plans Telstra won't activate public IPs, aka GPTEXB3. It is reserved for business class services.

EDIT:
Confirmation - https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Mobile-Broadband-3G-4G/Public-IP-on-Telstra-Mobile-Broadband/...

sufood

Unfortunately the 132000 support line was no help.  They had trouble with the concept of public and private IP addresses and said they were only capable of basic support for connectivity issues with the Night Hawk router.  They also had no idea who else might be able to help and offered me the netgear support number.  Given this is a Telstra networking configuration issue I'm not sure how talking to Netgear is going to help.  

sufood

Thanks Kalak, when I purchased the router I asked this exact question.  I was told all I needed was an ABN.  I have two, one for a business and one as a sole trader.  I was told I could use the sole trader ABN and keep the router on my personal account, so all my Telstra billing items remain together.  To choose the business account would be to create an entirely separate bill cycle. A pain for me and Telstra.  

I was assured by the Bourke Rd store staff that the sole trader account could be configured with a public IP address.  You are saying this is incorrect advice?  So let's say I create a business account, then how do I get the public IP address configured please?

Accepted Solution

Unfortunately sufood, the advise is incorrect.

If it's placed on a personal plan type, even as a sole trader with an ABN, rather than a business-class plan then you are unable to get the specific code added to the service which would provide a public-IP. Smiley Sad

If you get it on a business plan then you can request the GPTEXB3 code be added to your service. This allows the service to get a public routable IP. Then if I recall correctly you use the telstra.extranet APN rather than telstra.internet

sufood

Thanks very much for your help Kalak.  I'll contact my store and get them to move the device to a business account.

sufood
Accepted Solution

Thanks Kalak, all sorted.

Needed to be a business account and public Ip code applied to SIM.  All good now.

Highlighted

Awesome. Glad they were able to get it sorted for you!

Goodbye Excess Data Charges

Hello New Plans.

Find out more