CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
gcs
Level 1: Cadet

Nokia Lumia 920 Red Issues - BE WARNED

This is not a question but rather a warning to anyone thinking of getting one of these new handsets.

My very strong advice don't....

Whether the Nokia Handset Hardware or Windows Phone 8 are an issue is debatable.

The problem is if you have one of these fail (which I did within 2 days) Telstra will not refund you, replace the phone, allow you out of contract etc, in fact they are less than helpful and the knowledge in stores regarding Windows Phone 8 as a system is very poor. It has to go to the National Repair Centre for assessment. It is supposed to have a turn around of 48 hours. Now that's a joke. Pay the extra premium for a Business Service and you still get stuffed around. It took my non-working Nokia Phone effectively 3 days to travel from the Eastern Suburbs to the City!

It is appreciated that this can happen with any SmartPhone purchased but if you look around user groups what I experienced is actually quite common with this new Nokia and yet Telstra keeps flogging it, and Telstra do not give a stuff. In fact what they really want to do is sign you up to a 24-Month Contract where you have a faulty phone for the duration; lock you in, forget about any customer service or satisfaction.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Nokia Lumia 920 Red Issues

The problem is if you have one of these fail (which I did within 2 days) Telstra will not refund you, replace the phone, allow you out of contract etc, in fact they are less than helpful and the knowledge in stores regarding Windows Phone 8 as a system is very poor. It has to go to the National Repair Centre for assessment.

That is the same process for any model of handset in an Early Life Failure (ELF) scenario. If the National Repair Centre verifies that the fault is not the result of misuse or damage after the handset was sold, then as with any good with a major defect, Australian Consumer law entitles you to a replacement, or a refund of the purchase price.

In fact what they really want to do is sign you up to a 24-Month Contract where you have a faulty phone for the duration; lock you in, forget about any customer service or satisfaction. 

http://www.telstra.com.au/help/download/document/things-you-need-to-know-about-telstra-services-c048...

REPAIRS AND FAULTS

Our phones come with statutory guarantees and other rights that can’t be excluded under consumer protection laws. Remedies are available for a breach of such guarantees or rights, including repairs or replacements and, in some circumstances, refunds. You won’t be required to pay the monthly spend for your service while your phone is being repaired or replaced, unless you have received a loan phone. 

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
gcs

All the usual catchchas only applied by Telstra.

If I purchase a device at **bleep** Smith and other places I can return it and get a replacement, refund etc. In fact I can change my mind and having opened it return it within 14 days.

Not so with Telstra.

Anything to make life difficult, costly, time-consuming, frustrating for customers has Telstra written all over it.

As for your implication that I may have damaged the phone within two days and this is somehow an acceptable reason is fatuotous at the very least.

I even had to fight, argue to get a loan phone. And to cap it off whilst I was waiting in a queue to be seen and having explained that I do not have a working phone (including receiving calls) the 'moron' asked me for my mobile number to call me when my appointment was due.

Your views may be personal, but the fact that you work for Telstra makes it all biased.

Level 22: Superhuman

If I purchase a device at **bleep** Smith and other places I can return it and get a replacement, refund etc.

Nobody has denied you a replacement yet for a good that has a major defect, as you are entitled under Australian Consumer Law. What you cannot have is an on-the-spot replacement prior to the handset being inspected by authorised, qualified staff at the NRC.

I have not tested it (as in the policy, not the handset) myself as a Telstra Mobile customer, but I have every reason to believe that if you acquired the handset by Mobile Repayment Option (MRO) and you wish to go the ‘refund’ path, the 24-month MRO contract can be cancelled, such that you will not need to repay the purchase price (which you wouldn't have paid, out of pocket, at the start of the MRO contract) back in monthly instalments; previously paid instalments can be credited back. Do bear in mind that the service contract (for the Every Day Connect plan) and the MRO contract are legally separate, and in the event that the MRO contract is cancelled, you may still be held to your commitment to have a post-paid mobile service with Telstra at the agreed minimum monthly spend level for 24 months; you're welcome to use a different handset to access the mobile service you'll be paying for.

In fact I can change my mind and having opened it return it within 14 days.

Australian Consumer Law does not require or encourage retailers to offer refunds in instances where customers simply change their minds.

A supplier does not have to give a refund when a consumer simply changes their mind about the goods or services.

But a supplier can have a store policy to offer a refund, replacement or credit note when this happens. If so, they must abide by this policy.

It is certainly not DS's published returns policy to allow it.

6. What should I do if I have changed my mind and want to return a product?
Please choose carefully as **bleep** Smith does not normally accept return of goods where you have simply changed your mind.

(As far as I'm aware, the 14-day no-questions-asked returns policy was abandoned well over 12 months ago. Maybe you should try harder at keeping up with changes in the marketplace.) 

As for your implication that I may have damaged the phone within two days and this is somehow an acceptable reason is fatuotous at the very least. 

Yes, you may have – it is a possibility, and one that no reasonable person can deny. (I'm not implying it is a possibility; I'm stating that it is a possibility.) It is the NRC's job, not mine, to assess whether there was any misuse or damage caused after the sale of the good; I neither qualified to do so, nor interested in doing so.

Your views may be personal, but the fact that you work for Telstra makes it all biased. 

You're welcome to see my views as biased; your opinion of such is entirely irrelevant and inconsequential to me personally. My only interest, as a fellow Telstra customer and Australian consumer, is that you get your entitlement under the law and under contractual terms, nothing more; it's not about what you want, prefer or expect.

The documents from which I quoted are published for all to see, and you're most welcome to read them yourself, and perhaps get a second or third or fourth opinion on their interpretation.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Tojo

I too have had two failures in about 7 weeks.

Love the phone and the windows OS - it all works well and is easy to use - I updated late December form a HTC with the previous windows OS.

First Nokia Lumia 920 only charges once out of the box, then refused to charge again.

Took it back to the Telstar shop who said they would need to keep it for several days to see if they could get it to charge.

A week later I followed them up and they said it was no good and replaced it with a new one.

Why they did not just change it over I dont know - it was 48 hours old!

Yesterday the new phone (approx 6 weeks old) just shut down in the middle of use and now wont boot or accept charge.  Took it into a totally un-customer focused Telstra shop and got messed around.  The phone is part of a business account and I have to get the "account owner" to return it themselves in person.  Well, I am the account owner, but when we ported another phone to this account a few years back the "account owner" name changed to the user we ported accross. That is a whole other story - I have lost many hours on the phone and even longer in Telstra shops trying have this recified - I gave up and have been living with it for a couple of years - just to keep my sanity.  However, it is times like these that Telstra takes it upon themselves to punish small business owner for their (Telstra's) mistakes.

Anyway, looks like I have to travel to melbourne (160km) with the "account owner" just have the phone looked at.

Bloody poor server Telstra - I dont know why I am surprised every time they treat customers as they do!

Tojo

Follow-up.

Just checking another Telco's web site about this problem - it appears it is a common problem that is being worked on by Nokia/Microsoft.

Just need to hold down the "down-Volume" button and the Power On button for 10sec to force a reboot.

Shame Telstra did not have technically competent people to tell me this at the shop.  Maybe they did, but it was obviously a higher priority to move me on that actually find out what the problem was and if a quick fix was know.

Unfortunately my blood pressure is not up to trying to fix the business account, so I will just have to live with it!

If only we could get acceptable coverage in country Victoria from anothetr carrier!  Would change all our phones in a blink.

MoWeb

Can you please pont me at another carrier that has issues with the Lumia 920? You say you found info somewhere that these are common problems. I am interested, that is all. As far as I am aware, Telstra has (or perhaps it's "had" by now) a launch exclusive on the Nokia Lumia 920 in Australia. Optus, Virgin, Vodafone, etc., do NOT sell the Lumia 920s. I know, because I've been hunting around everywhere to buy one - but can't go through Telstra due to a black spot where I live. All the other Australian carriers have the Lumia 820s, or otherwise have stuck with teh HTC 8X/S units. For those units, I've not seen any reports of issues, so would be interested to see any. I have a few freinds with the Telstra-modified Lumia 920s (all with the issues described here and elsewhere), and I'd love to help them get a resolution.

Don't get me wrong, there ARE confirmed wissues with the handset. Some initial issues existed (like any new smartphone), but have already been fixed by Nokia. The only remaining issues being reported are with the customised phones from Telstra (Australia, obviously), EE (in Europe), and AT&T (in America). Two of those three admitted to having problems either in their custom firmware on the handset and/or network configuration issues (incompatible settings). As far as I am aware, they worked with Nokia to get updates pushed out and are now pretty much fine. The remaining "bad press" about the 920 is purely a Telstra thing.

I have a red Nokia Lumia 920. I purchased it outright from AllPhones (without any carrier settings or modified firmware). I use an Optus SIM (via TPG). The handset is the best I have ever owned. It has not had a single blip. None of the issues reported by Telstra-920-users are present on my phone - or any other non-Telstra 920 (as far as I can tell).

The OP said to avoid the Lumia 920 (Red). I would narrow that down a bit further and say "Avoid the TELSTRA Lumia 920 (Red)".

And some food for thought: Another user on this forum has grabbed a perfect-working Lumia 920 (like mine) and inserted a Telstra SIM card. The phone then started to glitch and have issues as reported. The issues are:

1) Telstras network is not compatible with the handset, yet they are unwilling to change anything to accomodate it... even though they DID have the same issues with the original Telstra iPhone and DID change settings. Adding the SIM appears to cause the network to constantly switch between 3G and 4G and drop out. It can cause the handset to reboot. It does lead to missed calls, etc. Appears to be a Telstra NETWORK issue.

2) Telstra's custom firmware on the handset - identified by the Telstra splash screen on boot, and the preloaded Telstra One app, etc - which survives a "reset"- appears to be broken. It has added call dropping issues, reception issues, a dodgy SMS-to-MMS (at 160 characters) issue, and many more.

Please do NOT bad-mouth a handset just because a particular customised one, on a particular network, appears to be giving you issues. You can resolve a few issues by switching the SIM to another provider (though you'll have the firmware issues still). You can reduce some of the issues by using an unbranded Lumia 920 (not Telstra-modified), with you Telstra SIM (though you'll still get the network compatability issues). It's a double-whammy of bugs. The ONLY "stable" Lumia 920 is a non-Telstra one, using a non-Telstra SIM. Think about that and try to work out if it is a "Nokia/Microsoft" issue or a "Telstra" issue.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your business services on your mobile with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now