DingoSpirit
Level 1: Cadet

Reverse DNS on our static IP address

Please assist, I am desperately trying to get hold of the DNS Team, to have a PTR Record created for my static IP address.

I have been stuck in a 'transfer to another team' loop since Friday, and nobody at Telstra seems to have a clue on who to put me through to.

Without the PTR Record, the Email Server I host is unable to send emails out. This is critical and has now taken me offline for a full week.

I am not the only one struggling with this, as we have had similar issues getting our clients Telstra NBN set up correctly, for their email servers.

We do not have access to a console to do this ourselves. Telstra Business Support seems to have no idea about it (they referred me to Billing, who referred me to Support). I need to speak to a Level 3 Engineer, in Australia about this, as I am stuck dealing with the Phillipines, where they don't have a procedure for it.

HELP!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES
Technical Support
Technical Support

Re: Reverse DNS on our static IP address

If this is for a business grade service, can you confirm if you have tried configuring the PTR in Custdata

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

DingoSpirit

*We do not have access to a console to do this ourselves.*

This includes CustData.

After 6 days of bouncing around teams, I have been told that this is not available for Personal/Small Business Plans. I'm very disappointed in this. This is a basic feature for any ISP that has customers with their own mail servers. Please raise this as an urgent feature request.

Technical Support
Technical Support

As you have a consumer grade service, it isn't intended to be used to host a mail server so I do not believe that this feature is going to be available for you. 

Have you looked into the business grade services that we offer which provides this feature that you need for your business?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

DingoSpirit

It was signed up as a Small Business Service, not a consumer service. It was explained during sign up that I ran my own email server.

What I don't understand, is why all other Australian ISP's offer this service, but Telstra do not. It's a real shame.

As I said, please raise this as an urgent feature request.

IPMan
Level 2: Rookie

Hi DingoSpirit,

I'm not sure if you're still experiencing this issue, but if you are can you please confirm your IP address up to the third octet? eg. 101.178.45.x. The rDNS for some IP addresses has been missed recently but is expected to be rectified within the next few weeks.

Thanks.

DingoSpirit

Hi IPMan,
110.141.231.x
I really hope they do implement a reverse DNS record. Even when I was on a consumer service with another ISP, I was able to have a PTR Record set.

Please let me know as things progress.

Cheers,
Dingo

Goodbye Excess Data Charges

Hello New Plans.

Find out more