zottles
Level 3: Gumshoe

Two NBN connections to one address

I have a business that currently has two ADSL Connections and two phone numbers. We have two connections for redundancy. For 8 hours each month we have a “mission critical” activity which uses the internet. If one line goes down or becomes unreliable we can quickly switch to the other line. Remember, the equipment that fails could be ours or it could be Telstra’s. Having two lines means any interruption for whatever reason can be be dealt with quickly.

One of those lines is now NBN. We would like another line for the same reason but have been told that there can only be one NBN connection per address. 

NOBODY can give a reason for this. It seems a bit like being told I can only have one car at an address. It seems completely arbitrary. 

Further, no one has had any suggestion as to how we maintain two phone lines once the second ADSL service is disconnected. 

Therefore I’m asking the “crowd”, because Telstra has been no help so far, why, and how do we maintain two phone lines. And what about the business downstairs, completely unrelated to us, but at the same address. We have NBN. They currently have no Internet. So what happens when they are forced to change to phone line provided by the NBN?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Two NBN connections to one address

From my understanding with how NBN works at one address that isnt fttp (you can have 4 active services on fttp as it has 4 uni-d ports) it needs to be subdivided. In the you have 4a smith street and 4b smith street or unit/shop 1 4 smith street and unit/shop 2 smith street. NBN from my understanding dont like having 2 services at the same address unless its fttp.
I personally use NBN FTTP 100/40 on the Smart Modem Gen 2 with Smart Home and the Telstra TV 2
On the go and at home my Mobile connects to Telstras 4G network.

I am a Telstra Employee working for Telstra Platinum in Consumer, Small Business & Smart Home

I'm not here in an official capacity. My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's.

For official support, start a secure chat here or you can raise a complaint here.
zottles

“NBN doesn’t like”, while it may be true, is not a reason, but thanks for your input.

Any other ideas?
Level 24: Supreme Being

From what I have read in NBN Co explanations it is restricted under the preparation guidelines for FTTx connections and the justification was a lot because it was meant to minimise the network becoming overloaded. 

I can't say I agree with with the logic, but, it has been their justification... There has been debate around it in the Senate though. 

The guide can be found here, but it is like 70 pages though. https://www.nbnco.com.au/content/dam/nbnco/documents/preparation-and-installation-guide-for-sdus-and...

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

zottles

Again, thanks for your input, but that document refers to residential single and multi dwelling units, not business.

So I’m still at a loss to understand the logic. And I still don’t know how to have two phone numbers after my second ADSL line is turned off.

With the DOT and business bundles, you can have multiple lines set via the VoIP system that will allow you to keep both numbers active as a group. But they would have to run off a single line, not off two lines. Unless you want to pay the price to have a choice of technology request done to get moved to FTTP...

Honestly, your best bet if you want additional information about nbnco logic, I do wish you best but your only hope (and I am afraid to say it is a lot of hope) would be to try speaking to NBN Co directly since they are the ones who set the restrictions, your local MP, or the communication department/ministers office...
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

zottles

Thanks DrQ.

It seems we have to battle on through with a second-rate internet with crazy unexplained restrictions.

But you'd think that Telstra, with it's share price tanking, would be falling over itself to assist (and therefore retain) an existing customer move smoothly to the NBN, offering services that allow us to keep doing what we're doing, only better (after all, that's the promise of the NBN).

Instead, Telstra just seems to sit on its hands and wait to be asked what's possible.

I guess it's time to close this thread - thanks for all input.

Highlighted

Oh no disagreement about them actually due to do what their CEO keeps talking about with regards to experience based outcomes and they have so much room to improve, but honestly in this case, I don't actually think that other than suggesting you look at a change of technology request that there is much they can do... If they could have two connections instead of one I am sure that they would be first to allow it but NBN Co determine what can and can't be done not the RSPs with NBN. 

Helpful Links

Goodbye Excess Data Charges

Hello New Plans.

Find out more