CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
CubeOver
Level 3: Gumshoe

Velocity and ISDN S0

Hello All

could someone clarify to me what is Telstra Velocity?

What ITU.T protocols are run on the fiber? What device is used for ONT and what it does exactly on the protocol level?

I have called Telstra Smart Community and I was "told there are up to 4 phone ports on the ONT box" and "we can only provide Velocity in your area", but I have a requirement to have ISDN S0 line in the office in order to comply with our global business requirements for fixed phones.

I cannot stack one to other myself - would you enlighten me what is Velocity exactly, and whether Telstra can provide ISDN S0 to Rowville VIC 3178.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Velocity and ISDN S0

CubeOver

I have been able to find the following information regarding the Velocity service:

ITU-T = H.248

Equipment used depends on location:
- Customers in South Brisban Exchange, will have an Internal Alcatel ONT that has 2 voice ports.
- All other services will have an Alcatel External ONT, with 4 voice ports

The service is considered to be VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) however is still delivered to a standard PSTN phone via the ONT

I am unable to find any information on ISDN SO.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

CubeOver

Thanks Shelley

I understand that ITU-T H.248 describes the way calls are provided to subscribers (separate signalling and voice curcuits/equipment).

My question was about the lower-level protocol that sits directly on the fiber going to customer premises, on OSI Level 2.

Is it Ethernet 802.3 or something else (SDLC, ATM, ISDN, Frame Relay)?

In other words, is Velocity a MetroEthernet network with IP on top or what?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey CubeOver, 

I believe it is Ethernet 802.3;

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

CubeOver

Hi All

just for the record, the Telstra Velocity is an SDH over the fibre network, compliant ITU-T G.707, G.708.

http://everything.explained.at/Synchronous_optical_networking/

It runs IP/Ethernet on top, of course.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your business services on your mobile with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now