Highlighted
MobBB
Level 3: Gumshoe

What the hell is WAP?

Hi,

Well I have just received my first Telstra bill, and whilst I am over the moon with the speed and connection, not so much with the bill! I was expecting $43.00 and it was $302.00 from 20 sessions of  "mobile WAP/internet sessions. WTF?

Can someone please explain to me what this means and how it happened as I do not want the next bill to be the same. Why have I not had this problem with Optus or the other carrier I was with before them?

thanks in advance

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
MobBB
Level 3: Gumshoe

Re: What the hell is WAP?

To add some info to this, I have been reading about people having iphone issues with their data usage, i.e: using a  lot of data very quickly.

My daughter has an ipod touch which she accesses the internet through wifi, could the usage be from this or the optus mobile android phones we have had for 2 years?

I have just got an ipad too, but now am too worried to use any one them through wifi.

Please advise....somebody??

T-man
Level 9: Captain

Wireless Application Protocol (WAP) is a technical standard for accessing information over a mobile wireless network. A WAP browser is a web browser for mobile devices such asmobile phones that uses the protocol.

in this case., its just a generic description of accessing teh internet. All charges for the internet usage on your bill are described as such.

maybe because you suddenly have speed and connection that  you never used to have, you are using your internet more.

NB.
I am a Telstra employee. All comments are my own and based on my own knowledge. Any advice given is generic in nature and should be taken as a guideline only.

Please vote for my Video in the Smartphone Tips competition.
My kids will love you for it.
http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Videos-By-You-Telstra-Staff/March-smartphone-crowdsupport-comp...

Level 22: Superhuman

"

maybe because you suddenly have speed and connection that  you never used to have, you are using your internet more."

and with a new iPad, you are getting updates to the OS and facebook, email and other automatic updates also.

The iPod touch may be downloading music perhaps?

If I've helped in some way, a Kudos would be appreciated.
Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

RowanBoard
Level 1: Cadet

Mobile Internet Sessions

I have been a telstra mobile using for many years.  I have just received a bill with approx 90 mobile wap/internet sessions, some of which last for several hours.  Most are uncharged, however the last 20 or so have a volume kb of 119942 and a charge of $11.60 each.  Total bill for the month of approx $300 when it is usually nil.

The phone is an Iphone 5s.  the kids use the phone every now and then but i cant understand what has changed from 1 month to the next.

Any ideas?

Support Team
Support Team

Re: Mobile Internet Sessions

Hi RowanBoard,

In regards to usage, you can check detailed usage via My Account just click on service (I.E. Mobile) > Click recent charges > Click view detailed usage > Click download usage > Click download for current usage (or select & enter in the specific date range). 

This may help you pin point exactly what's causing your additional usage. 

If it's a smartphone, I'd recommend reading here https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Data-Usage/Increase-in-Mobile-Data-usage-with-Smartphones-and... for some tips on how to minimise your usage.

Also, how do you currently monitor your usage? I personally use My Account http://tel.st/cpyn & our 24x7 apphttp://www.telstra.com.au/my-account/telstra-24x7-app/ as it is updated within 48 hours however data is usually current as of about 6 hours ago. 

For example, I found my own usage increase with a recent Facebook update that had turned on an option to automatically play videos. This can be changed though & I switched it to auto play over Wi-Fi only in the settings. 

If you need a hand with the app or setting up My Account, please chat to us via http://tel.st/8qpr

-Shannon

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Bungeebingo
Level 2: Rookie

So, if someone like family or friends can access your internet via Thier mobiles is this a WAP useage?

Like a second hand or tail gate connection.?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Bungeebingo

Yes data usage from a mobile will show up as WAP

- Steve J

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Bungeebingo

I also have recieved yet another Bill from Telstra which has WAP charges.

I have contacted Telstra about this WAP, & was greeted by a Non English speaking person who they themselves had NO idea what WAP was.

I can only come to the conclusion that Telstra is yet again "Double Dipping"

We all (well most I have disconnected mine) have "Message Bank" WHY....... If you have a Mobile device of some sort with all your contacts in it, dose your mobile device not already show you who has rang you?

If you missed a call from somone you can SEE whom it was, just call them back.

Your are Charged for having this Message bank placed on your account.

The person that has just left you a message has been Charged for leaving it.

You are Charged for Recieving it or once you have accessed your message bank.

Hence "Double Dipping".

I feel this is what is happening with WAP. I have a Mobile phone, a Tablet & a Laptop. The laptop has it's own Telstra ultimate gateway internet device,  my other 2 phones also have thier own internet connection. If my Gateway internet is on my Tablet can also connect to this device, automatically as I have set it to do this, (I will be unsetting it, Today) so by me having the gateway on & allowing my tablet to connect to it this is where I think WAP charges are being applied.

Annoying really I pay for my gateway of 4G but can only access 3G, I pay for my mobile's which have thier own seperate access all the while being charged for being a 2nd party on my OWN internet devices...........

Bungeebingo

Thank you Steve_J

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Everyone,

Sounds like your bills needs to be looked into in more detail.

We can only access them via a secure connection, as you have been unsuccessful via the phone I would suggest trying our live chat service.

For Business accounts http://tel.st/e3xp

For Residential accounts http://tel.st/hsc3

Angela 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your business services on your mobile with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now