CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
JSP3
Level 1: Cadet

Where Am I - Google wrong location on NBN

Answered

Ever since we changed to the NBN we are getting wrong locations when searching "where am I" in Google.

Sometimes it is right - sometimes it shows different locations nowhere near us.

Why is that?

The issue is we are serving Google ads based on user locations. Is the NBN telling Google people arent in the correct location?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Where Am I - Google wrong location on NBN

The method that Google uses on a landline to determine location is based on where it thinks the IP address of the user is based. As IP addresses are dynamically allocated, these can change and the latest records in the system may not match the true physical location (never has).

The only true way to determine someone's location on a landline based service is if they have a GPS hooked up to their computer.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Accepted Solution

Re: Where Am I - Google wrong location on NBN

The method that Google uses on a landline to determine location is based on where it thinks the IP address of the user is based. As IP addresses are dynamically allocated, these can change and the latest records in the system may not match the true physical location (never has).

The only true way to determine someone's location on a landline based service is if they have a GPS hooked up to their computer.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your business services on your mobile with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now