JSP3
Level 1: Cadet

Where Am I - Google wrong location on NBN

Answered

Ever since we changed to the NBN we are getting wrong locations when searching "where am I" in Google.

Sometimes it is right - sometimes it shows different locations nowhere near us.

Why is that?

The issue is we are serving Google ads based on user locations. Is the NBN telling Google people arent in the correct location?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Where Am I - Google wrong location on NBN

The method that Google uses on a landline to determine location is based on where it thinks the IP address of the user is based. As IP addresses are dynamically allocated, these can change and the latest records in the system may not match the true physical location (never has).

The only true way to determine someone's location on a landline based service is if they have a GPS hooked up to their computer.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY
Accepted Solution

Re: Where Am I - Google wrong location on NBN

The method that Google uses on a landline to determine location is based on where it thinks the IP address of the user is based. As IP addresses are dynamically allocated, these can change and the latest records in the system may not match the true physical location (never has).

The only true way to determine someone's location on a landline based service is if they have a GPS hooked up to their computer.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Goodbye Excess Data Charges

Hello New Plans.

Find out more