Highlighted
christangey1
Level 1: Cadet

cancelling both mobile broadband services and landline, but can I keep number of latter?

Finally can't take it anymore, the appalling quailty of the service here on the edge of one of the most modern towns in Australia is infuriating when you are trying to run a business. Telstra outages (i.e. serious disruption to services), by their own admission last here for not hours, but weeks and yes even months! Promises of "escalation" time after time result in zilch, sometimes without even a call being returned.

I deal mostly with international clients in Tokyo, Los Angeles, New York, London, Paris etc. How embarassing it is to have skype calls continually cut off, to try and do a speedtest and wait 10 minutes for the webpage to load to only be told there is a "latency error", in other words there is not enough speed to even run the speedtest! I had to send some video to London a few months back that used my entire months data on both plans and took 48 hours to send! For tech-heads I recently recorded a ping of 2200, an upload speed of 0.3mb/s and a download of 0.03mb/s! My business has virtually been ruined, but has Telstra ever offered anything to "make good"?... nothing, ever... as far as I'm concerned I should be refunded the last 2 years for a service I didn't even receive.

Anyway, all too late now, as I mentioned I am now cancelling both my mobile broadband services, the ONLY service I was able to get until now, and was paying $180 a month for, for a total of 30gb. That's right, can't get ADSL here or NBN or anything else but they still made me pay that for a %$#^*&% "service".

My desire is now to rid myself of as many Telstra products as I can (i unfortunately I still have to have Telstra on my 2 iphones) so wish to have the landline disconnected too.(By the way I couldn't get NBN thanks to Telstra too, putting in a "cheapy" RIM landline system 25 years ago that makes it impossible to connect NBN) I am told that for a period anyway you can still keep your landline number after you cancel and have it redirected to your mobile. I can't find any information on this, can somebody advise?  Thanks

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: cancelling both mobile broadband services and landline, but can I keep number of latter?

Hi christangey1,

In order to have a disconnect arranged you would need to speak to the disconnection team - for business this is on 132000 and say "disconnection", they will be able to arrange the disconnection of those service for you.

As far as your RIM, based on your quoted 25 years, that RIM was installed before Telstra was privatised, so it was done when it was completely government owned, and it was done for the sole purpose of connecting landlines, because that was what its purpose was. It's purpose was not to connect the internet... That hasn't stopped you getting NBN, that might have delayed it, but the fact is that if you are right on a edge of a major town and they are not able to provide it via a fixed line service that NBNco should be investing in a Fixed Wireless solution, that is /their/ job, the NBN has nothing to do with Telstra except that the government is buying back the lines from Telstra Wholesale which it sold during privatisation....

You can arrange a number redirection on a landlines service - From the Telstra Wholesale website this is the information on the Number Redirection service:
What is it?
Number Redirection is a redirection service to assist customers in the transition to a new number,
when a new number is required for:
• Movers
• Making a technology change
• Downsizing - customers reducing the number of active services
• In certain circumstances when porting to Telstra
Callers to the old telephone number are redirected to, and/or advised of, the new telephone number.
What are the number redirection options?
The 3 service options that are available are:
• redirection plus announcement
• redirection only
• announcement only
Usage charges are applicable for calls redirected outside a charging zone (Call Usage charges do not
apply if selected service option is announcement only).
Services can be connected as Standard Monthly or Prepaid for 3 months, 6 months or 12 months
(https://www.telstrawholesale.com.au/download/document/number-redirection-2.pdf )

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

christangey1
Level 1: Cadet

Re: cancelling both mobile broadband services and landline, but can I keep number of latter?

Thanks, read through it all and would like to know who on earth could understand such gobbledegook? The definition of charging zone and SZU's is so obscure and open to interpretation to be meaningless unless you are "in the know".

And what does this mean? "usage charges are applicable for calls redirected outside a charging zone". WHO is charged the caller or me, and how much? Conveniently not elaborated on. But this is typical of Telstra, smoke and mirrors and trickery is its forte, the classic example being the "mobile data usage meter" that may be up to date or may not, you may have used 50% , 85% or 100% of your data but you guess which! Ha ha ha...Of course if you are wrong and it is the 100% then we will hit you with massive per gb charges and we wil have another little party for that extra billion bucks we just earned in being deceptive to customers

Love the little semantic dance you make about the difference between privatised Telstra and non-privatised, might work with your ex-PMG mates but doesn't hold water in the real world, and whoever they were knew RIM was a cheap and nasty way of delivering landlines without futureproofing, regardless of internet. And what do you mean we are getting NBN? They have already told us we are the ONLY suburb of Alice Springs that is not getting it!

But anyway I'm here to talk about Telstra not NBN and thankfully I won't have to do that much longer, I never knew that a corporation could cause me to hate and loathe it with all the passion I have, and I'm not alone. Anyway, looks like I better go down to the Telstra Shop, perhaps they can give me the detailed answers I need, I somehow doubt it though.

That document is based on Wholesale, so it is a little more open because it would apply to any reseller who uses the telstra network.. essentially they pay for a normal call to your landline number, and you pay to redirect that to your mobile phone.

My point was only that the RIMs were implemented because the government policy was and still is that every household is entitled to be connected to a phone service as a primary service right, but no, the entire network wasn't set up to be future proof because they didn't foresee it... no one did, even the biggest computer companies all underestimated the growth of technology in the last 20 years...

And what I was saying, is that if you read the NBN Co own policy, if you are just outside a major town or city, or in a major town or city you /should/ be in an NBN roll out plan, their own policy is that if they can't offer it over fibre then they use one of the two alternatives of Fixed Wireless or Satellite, that is their own policy...

The Telstra store may be able to help, however I believe that Business may be the same as residential now and that all disconnections are now centralised to ensure consistency.

Best of luck with getting it all sorted though Smiley Happy
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your business services on your mobile with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now