CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

enabling ipv6 on Biz broadband ADSL

Hi

The product page says that IPv6 is available on buisness broadband ADSL, which is what we have. We also have IPv6 capable CPE, however I cannot acquire an IPv6 ip address

Should I be using DHCPv6 or SLAAC? Or is there something I have to enable in custdata?

thanks

daniel

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Re: enabling ipv6 on Biz broadband ADSL

Unless you have an true ethernet connection with theexchange you won't be able to use IPV6. ADSL or even ADSL2+ is simply not fast enough to explor thebenefits of an IPv6 network.

The best way to increase your line speed is to tune the SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio) in your router. If you've got a Thompson router or some other Telstra supplied device it probably won't make a lot of difference but I've seen 40% line speed increase from cheap ISP supplied routers just by playing with the SNR.

You might find replacing the router with Billion brand or similar quality router you'll get some serious performance capabilities, It's possible get as much speed from your line as you would had you been able to get a genuine Ethernet connection. 

Yes... I know your router probably says you can obtain an IPv6 Address but your line speed will never reach the capabilities of an optical network so there is no point in trying to use it. The best you can do is obtain DNS via IPv6 for your internal network.

I'd try to measure the distance (around the streets) from your access point to the exchange you are connected to. Once you know the distance you are from there, you can -- by trial and error, gradually reduce the SNR number from it's normal 'safe' number (-1 or 6, depending on therouter brand) until your line speed starts to act up.

THere should be some how-to articles on doing this somewhere.

Good luck,

Highlighted

Wow what a thoroughly pointless post.

First up, my want of ipv6 has nothing to do with speed. Frankly I can't comprehend how you read into my post that I cared about increasing my line speed. It is utterly baffling.

I already run IPv6 internally at all my sites. This isn't babby's first time at the carnival. I have my reasons for wanting to utilise my own public /64 (should be /56 per the RFC, but I shan't push my luck) and the Telstra documentation says  it's supported on the plans I use, so I want to use it.

Internode support it, I believe iiNet at coming on board, Telstra say I should be able to use it. That's the bottom line.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey danielgo,

Have you had a chat to Business Tech Support on 132 999 about the problems you're having acquiring an IPv6 address? They would be the experts on this.

-Dylan

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Hi Daniel,

That first response you got is typical of responses to most IPv6 questions... everyone's an expert :-)

I'm trying to get IPv6 running on my network too and though I'm significantly further along, I have hit a brick wall right now.

There's three steps; let's call them admin, custdata and implementation.

Admin.

You need to get your Account Manager to (email?) tell the Network guys that you're OK to have IPv6. If you're a pipsqueak customer like me with no account manager, you should be making friends with your local Telstra Business Centre anyway, if only for these times when you need a useful human working on your side (though the North Ryde folks I deal with are generally very sharp and w-a-y more across the products than most customers could be). So, your AM or similar asks for your circuit to be enabled for IPv6 and then (I think) the ability to request one in Custdata appears amongst the other (IPv4) address requests... its been a while. It may already be there, but either way you need to both request it in Custdata and have had someone give the nod, else it just won't get actioned.

When I did this, there were options for /64 /56 /48, but I have it on good (Level3 Tech) that 'only /56' is allocated and routed for Business Broadband/Internet Direct ADSL, so *just* ask for a /56.

Custdata

Once you have made the request and the network folks have got the nod, you'll be sent your /56 details. I have been at this point and the next a while. You can then go in and ask the route to be added to the circuit, just like for a IPv4 range. If you have more than one... well, I'd start with one anyway. You'll get a confirmation email to OK, then once you have you'll see the route in Custdata... you'll also be able to setup your reverse and forward host names too (or maybe this happens earlier, when the range is allocated).

Implementation.

OK, you are all set. So, you get your IPv6 capable router, set it up for Dualstack (IPv6 PPPoE uses same login as IPv4). I'm stuck here. Reason? Routing doesn't work. I can't use full blown manual IPv6 as no commonly available CPE (including Telstra's) supports advertising/setting up DHCP for a /56 on the LAN side. If I setup 'auto everything', it 'works' in that one can browse from LAN devices, etc, but you can't assign specific addresses (by, e.g. MAC). The addresses assigned are also varaible (and wrong) per CPE... on my xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:4d::/56 I variously get advertised (remember... all auto, so no settings from me) 4d00::/64 (sb /56), 4d01::/64 (?), 4d02::/64 (??!!). Weird. I suspect all my actual routing is happening via link-local addresses.

So... hopefully... your's *just works*.

If not... a few musings/stuff I've noticed.

Now, in an IPv4 Telstra Business connection, RADIUS (LDAP) assigns a permanent IP to your PPP session... at the L3 access concentrator; the WAN address through which the Internet gets to you. If you have a routed range, the first usable address from that range lives on the LAN side of the router and that's the gateway/subnet (let's assume no/parallel NAT 10.x.x.x addressing for the moment) for your LAN. Been doing it that way for 20 years or more.

So... thinking out loud... as well as my 'LAN' 4d00::/56 range, there *should be* a WAN side address... the L3 access address allocated to my (Dualstack) PPPoE session (FNN/username/password). Right?

No. No WAN IP, provided. And bizarre behaviour.

So either... the routes allocated to the circuit/username via RADIUS are (slightly?) incorrect (big problem) OR: all DSL CPE (until you get up to Cisco 2000, 5000, etc,) are unable to route a /56 (also a big problem) OR; (worse) both.

If you've any suggestions Daniel, glad to har 'em... if you're in NSW, I'm happy to try help you get going, in the hope it either vindicates what I'm seeing, or shows me up as an inept fool but nonetheless solves my problem after all this.

Cheers,

Mike Sadler

Highlighted

Hey Mike

Hopefully you're still monitoring the thread. My problems are confounded by the fact that I am out in Central West NSW, so I can't schmooze with the Telstra NOC Smiley Happy

I may have had some progress - FYI I had already applied for and had a nice /56 allocated to my account, but was unable to route it in custdata since my service wasn't IPv6 enabled.

Eventually I got through to a level 2 in the NOC who told me that I needed to get billing to perform a web activation to add IPv6 to my account. So, a week of ringing 132000 later, I *finally* got someone who knew what they were doing and was able to put through an update order to my service to enable dual stack.

So, I am just waiting for that order to complete and all should be well.

Something to note along the way, you seem to require a static /64 to be assigned to your service (this is what the "web activation" does) before you can route your /56 correctly. This is the same as IPv4 land where you would have a static service IP and then a routed /28 or whatever.

Anyway, I'll keep this updated once the order goes through and let you know how I got on. PM me if you want to talk offlist.

thanks

daniel

Highlighted

Oh and also Mike, I'll be doing my routing on a VyOS box, which should give me Brocade/big Cisco like routing ability, so I hopefully wont be hindered by puny black box CPE

Highlighted

Hi all, going through the same thing. So back to the original question: is Telstra on an ADSL TID connection, expecting to allocate addresses by SLAAC or DHCP? Setting my router to SLAAC gives me a link local gateweay address but the connection is never made. (btw SLACC only ever works with /64's).

Apparently is was a RADIUS issue that was 'resovled' for me a week ago but it still won't connect as IPv6. 

Also I note the comment about the 4xxx address. Is that really what Telstra allocated? All globlally routable addresses are derived from 2000::/3.

Just curious about that.

Mike B.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Ekim,

The IPv6 should work with either SLAAC or DHCP.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

My Telstra

Manage your business services on your mobile with the My Telstra app.

Find out more