Punjab
Level 1: Cadet

There was an error opening this document. The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is

Error: Adobe Reader There was an error opening this document.  The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is

incorrect

Problem: We have a network of about 50 users, all logging on to one of 3 Terminal Servers. We use Internet Explorer 10 and Telstra's T-Suite Share Point service. We have the occassional user that goes to the Share Point site, attempts to open a PDF document, they get the above error. HOWEVER, they can Save As the document and open it. The can also open any PDF from any location - except for Share Point. Other users on the same Terminal Server can open any pdf on the Share Point site. Clearly it's a setting (in Internet Explorer?) but no idea. Since it's all a virtual desktop, I don't think it's Adobe Reader otherwise everyone would have the problem.

Thanking you

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: There was an error opening this document. The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is

Hi Punjab,

Please make sure of the following. From Office 365 blog.

• Check the Keep me signed in box when you log in to a SharePoint Online site

Please let me know how it goes.

Regards

T-om

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted
Punjab
Level 1: Cadet

Re: There was an error opening this document. The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax

Hi Tom,

I thank you for replying so quickly.

Here's what got it working for me:

Launch IE -> Click on Gear (settings) -> Manage Add-ons -> Show: All Add-ons ->
There are 2 Adobe Add-ons:
Adobe PDF Reader  &  Adobe Acrobat Sharepoint Open Document
Double-click both and be sure to click the button "ALLOW ON ALL SITES"
(An * will appear in the field)

Thanking you