bwss
Level 8: Inspector

A debate on 'community Leaders' please

It's about time I think we had a debate on community leaders, most who seem knowledgable but on occasion put themselves on a pedestal and then cry foul if criticised. Yes I know there are guidlines and policies but it seems when it does not suit a minority they cry foul and and complain to Telstra so that posts are removed - boo hoo, how sad it can be. so, I ask all none community leaders to voice their opinion on have you had bad dealings here, had you posts removed, I agree if you swear or you use obscene language then you not only should have your posts removed but banned for life, what I am talking about is critising Telstra or the community leaders when you feel justified, after all we in a democratic society, freedom of speech etc. what do you none comunity leaders think?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
18 REPLIES 18
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: A debate on 'community Leaders' please

I had one post removed IRRC (I didn't think it was a bad comment), but I haven't lost any sleep over it.

Not sure why you think Telsra doesn't get criticised, nor the community leaders. Look around the crowdsupport site and there are criticisms all over the place.

Not sure how one gets to be a community leader, btw.

If I've helped in some way, a Kudos would be appreciated.
Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

Level 23: Superhero

Any post which breaches the guidelines should be removed.

There are ways to have a debate and attack an argument/idea without attacking the person.

There are PLENTY of posts/threads on here that are negative towards Tesltra. The most recent thread I started was about my poor signup experience recently with Bigpond Cable.

As a side note, we have no 'freedom of speech'. This is a private website, and the owner (in this case Telstra) gets to choose who can use the site and under what circumstances.

Also, there are members who have more experience with Telstra than others, and some who look at things from different viewpoints to most. This means that sometimes if someone posts something negative, they will post the reasons they feel differently. It doesn't mean that Telstra stifle 'negative' posts. In fact Telstra don't get involved in most of the threads at all.

I say the above as a 'non community leader'.

If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Level 21: Augmented

I've had posts removed, don't think there are different rules here for different people as there is not
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

Afternoon, I'll try to answer most of the questions I can at least from my experience.

Firstly, all users of CrowdSupport are required to comply with the Community Guidelines and the Terms of UseThis includes Community Leaders. I have had many of my posts moderated, and I've had some rather foul arguments with the Moderation Team. Some I won, some they won, and we all move along and keep the site going. I try not to get stuck on moderation where I can help it.

If you have a problem with any member here (Community Leader to Newbie) your first course of action should be to report the post, detailing what problem you have with it. If the Moderators agree, then it will be moderated accordingly. If you remain disatisfied with a Moderation Decision, then you need to contact a Community Manager. The Community Managers that are currently active are StephenD, DanK and Yannick. I have a great deal of respect for each of the Managers (I've spoken with them all personally) and they aren't afraid to tell me when I'm wrong or out of line.

The posts you are referring to bwss relate to your personal insults towards individuals. There is a difference between having a go at someones viewpoint and going on to bag them out personally, and thats the line that should be drawn (IMHO, I'm not a Moderator but expressing my view).

To answer the questions about how one becomes a Community Leader, its the same way that someone moves up the ranking structure. Its a combination of Time Spent on the forum, Kudos, and post quality. The easiest way for someone to be removed from being a Community Leader is for people to stop giving Kudos to posts. I used to be an Honoured Contributor and then the Community Leader status was introduced (exactly the same permissions).

I'll now move onto what a Community Leader can and can't do. Community Leaders:

• Have the ability to Moderate Images (It should be noted that they cannot modify your posts, just images posted to CrowdSupport).
  • Have the ability to post pictures without requiring approval (Images can be revoked later however)
  • Have the ability to post video without requiring approval (videos can be revoked later however)
  • Have the ability to Create and Modify Community Knowledgebase articles
  • Have the same level of Kudos as others within the community
  • Are required to follow the same rules as others in the community

I trust that answers a majority of the questions raised. If you have any other questions, feel free to post below.

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Level 18: Intelligence Chief

I have personally seen many posts on Crowd Support that are constructive negative feedback about Telstra Services and products that have had posts from an array of different members with different standings within the community i.e community leaders that have not been moderated. 

I think when the feedback is constructive it alerts the problem to Telstra so that it get be investigated with the hope for a fix to be created

The most recent example was in this thread: http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/T-Hub/Totally-useless-on-line-ordereing-procedure-for-a-t-hub-...

As per the community guidelines it states: 

"We acknowledge criticism of Telstra products, services, policies and performance, but will not publish persistent misrepresentation of the Telstra Corporation, our Board, our shareholders or our staff. For the sake of robust debate, we will distinguish between constructive, focused argument and propaganda or smear tactics."

I see many posts that I would in my personal opinion consider propaganda/smear tactics and most of those threads turn to back and forth arguments and even sometimes personal attacks that serve no benefit to the community. I think in those situations I agree that posts should be moderated so the argument becomes focused to address the key issues.

One thing that annoys me is when people use Crowd Support as a "blog", than get upset when there "blog" is broken into parts by a contributor at any rank to address key issues that would hopefully serve a benefit.

I think at the end of the day if one believes that there post has been unfairly moderated to alert a "community manger" and ask for a reason, but as the community guidelines states they are not obliged too, so there may be times when your not provided with a response.

Also what would you like to see this debate achive? better moderation guidlines?

- C

If you've found a  then don't forget to mark that post accordingly

Kudos  Recognise someone for their help by clicking this button on their post

Stick around great things are happening in Moderator

if anyone, of any standing, sees a post that that they feel is out of place then the correct thing to do is bring it to the moderators attention, the option is there for everyone on all posts
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bwss wrote:

what I am talking about is critising Telstra or the community leaders when you feel justified,

Are you suggesting that some people actually bother to take the time, and compose and publish posts on CrowdSupport in which they criticise Telstra or the community leaders, even when they feel their criticism is not justified? Robot wink

after all we in a democratic society, freedom of speech etc. what do you none comunity leaders think?

Last I checked, I'm not a Community Leader, so I'll tell you exactly what I think.

CrowdSupport is not owned and run by a publicly funded agency or organisation, and it is not the site's charter to be an environment that is representative of Australian society at large and/or reflect it's values, so “we [live] in a democratic society” is quite irrelevant if you're trying to argue from the perspective of one's rights.

By the way, freedom of speech is not a constitutional or legal right in Australia, and feeling justified does not make one's actions lawful and/or permissible. Put bluntly, your feelings (or mine, for that matter) have no standing, in the determination of whether a post should be allowed to stand from an administrative standpoint.

Since you obviously believe in democracy, however, I'm confident you'll give your full moral support when your fellow members – regardless of community standing – weigh in en masse to express opinions contrary to your own, even if/when that frames yours as the minority view that has little or no community support.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.

@Drat wrote:

Last I checked, I'm not a Community Leader, so I'll tell you exactly what I think.

Last I checked there were only two with that title, in my mind it makes this thread a quite focused complaint (have no idea if there is any justification or not and am not buying into that anyway) at quite a small target audience

if someone has a problem with someone else (it can't be a lot broader than that) then perhaps take it offline or discuss it with an admin, I don't see every post here but really don't see a lot to complain about, I flag anything I find inappropriate and I'd encourage anyone else to do the same, including any posts of mine if there's any issue

Ben_F

@jokiin wrote:

@Drat wrote:

Last I checked there were only two with that title, in my mind it makes this thread a quite focused complaint (have no idea if there is any justification or not and am not buying into that anyway) at quite a small target audience

Your Correct Jokiin, According to http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/user?q=Community+Leader there is just you and me Smiley Happy. Don't you love being the centre of an entire tread (I'm singing "Just the two of us" in my head at the moment).

New Users - Click Here!

Ben_F

Slightly OT, but there are only 2 Leaders, 2 Honoured Contributors and 1 Trusted Contributor....... Which makes up the top 5

New Users - Click Here!

Ben, if I recall correctly, Valued Contributor is a more advanced rank than Trusted Contributor.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Ben_F

@Drat wrote:

Ben, if I recall correctly, Valued Contributor is a more advanced rank than Trusted Contributor.

But none of the Top 5 are comprised of Valued Contributors, and there are more of them then there are of the Trusted...... hmmmmmm

New Users - Click Here!

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Just to be clear there is no preferential treatment based on rank in the Crowdsupport, there are community leaders who are advocates and those who are detractors but all moderation is based around the community guidelines. The community is open to all feedback and suggestions but when a thread mentions any individual member the moderation team will act on the request of the members involved and their best jusdgement.  

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

@Ben_F wrote:

@Drat wrote:

But none of the Top 5 are comprised of Valued Contributors, and there are more of them then there are of the Trusted...... hmmmmmm

I went from Valued to Trusted so I'm assuming that Trusted is higher. Otherwise. WHAT DID I DOO? =(

Lathania

Trusted Contributor is definately a higher rank than Valued Contributor interestingly you are the first to attain this ranking in the community based on your interaction in the community. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

@Lathania wrote:

I went from Valued to Trusted so I'm assuming that Trusted is higher. Otherwise. WHAT DID I DOO? =(

My mistake, then. I recall going from Valued Contributor to Honoured Contributor, so I (incorrectly) assumed there is no other rank between those two.

——

Well according to the rank page it's done via a multitude of things so I'm assuming this might be a Kudos in a certain amount of time thing. I remember going from 25* to 50* just by waiting a week so *Shrug* anyway I think this might be all a little OT.
Lathania

wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now