CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
ManFromOz
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Confusing CrowdSupport site surfing

Answered

Could someone explain some of the apparent anomalies I'm discovering on this site?

If while logged in, I click on the "Community" section, it tells me that there are 3,502 posts (as of a short while ago). But if I do the same thing while not logged in, it tells me there are only 2,605 posts. Why the huge discrepancy?

By contrast, when viewing a  subsection of "Mobile & Tablet", I'm told that there are the same number of posts (4,751) whether or not I'm logged in.

I've bookmarked (created a Windows shortcut to) a post that I created here. When I use that shortcut I'm not allowed to view my post unless I first log in. But a similar shortcut for a post I created in a different section (Mobile & Tablet) has no such restriction.

If I search for my Community post by its title, it is not found if I am not logged in, but comes up as expected if I am. (Guess that post is one of the 900 or so that are "hidden".)

Huh?

PS - Before someone suggests that the "solution" is to always log in first, might I suggest that many users (myself included) surf for answers without logging in unless required for a new post or a reply?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Clyne
Level 11: Detective
Accepted Solution

Re: Confusing CrowdSupport site surfing

Checking the sub-categories for Community logged in vs logged out, it looks like the "Community Feedback & Discussion" and "CrowdSupport Insiders" are not included when logged out. Smiley Frustrated

I eat cookies and kudos! Happy thoughts!

Cheers!
Clyne

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Level 20: Director

I hear ya mate and I have noticed things like this although it is not a issue for me but would like someone to explain this.

What I see at times is that the CS site doesn't load properly with Firefox and comes up with jargon everywhere with links to sites a user should not see or have access to within the CS site / forums.

Level 23: Superhero

Hi guys, a simple explanation for you regarding this, and in particular the Community section.

The reason you see a variance is, that there are several threads and topics included in that area which are only accessible to Telstra Mods, Community Leaders etc. ... which are used for inter communications with regards to site management, etc.

sig

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.
ManFromOz

Thank you Jeff, but that doesn't really explain my findings.

I'm not a Telstra Mod, Community Leader, etc., yet when I log in an additional 900 or so posts become accessible?

Nor does it explain why some shortcuts to posts of mine allow immediate access, while others can't be viewed or even found in a search unless I sign in first.

Clyne
Level 11: Detective
Accepted Solution

Checking the sub-categories for Community logged in vs logged out, it looks like the "Community Feedback & Discussion" and "CrowdSupport Insiders" are not included when logged out. Smiley Frustrated

I eat cookies and kudos! Happy thoughts!

Cheers!
Clyne

View solution in original post

ManFromOz

Thank you, Clyne. You've helped shed some light on the issue.

Your reply prompted me to do further checking, and yes - the "Community Feedback & Discussion" subsection is not present unless one is logged in. That accounts for the discrepancy of over 900 posts in the section totals. I assume that it also explains why my post in that section is neither visible nor searchable unless logged in.

I checked further, and "CF&D" is the only subsection across all nine top-level sections that exhibits this behaviour. (I found that "CrowdSupport Insiders" appears whether or not I'm logged in, but shows zero posts either way.)

Which begs the question: Why?

It also may help explain the low number of views my CF&D post has received, and the fact that it has so far received no replies.

All of which makes me think that I should re-post in a different subsection, and not use the CF&D section in future.

Thanks again.

Level 23: Superhero

Plus te other sub-sections and sections that I also said previously of the Community section, which are not available to the general public.

sig

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.
ManFromOz

I'll now be marking this as solved, given the above information, but with a couple of parting comments...

The question remains as to why that one Community sub-section is invisible until one logs in.

As previously mentioned, a post that I had in that section received very few views and no replies. As soon as I moved the same post to another section, a reply appeared (and significantly more views). Moral of the story? I won't post in CF&D again.

To Jeff: Thanks, but with the exception of CF&D I can't find other sections that behave in this manner. As for sections not available to the general public, if they are not there whether or not one is logged in I can't see the relevance.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now