Highlighted
destino
Level 1: Cadet

Dodgy Overseas Calls

Answered

I've been at home lately and I've received sometimes 2-3 calls per day from dodgy Indian call centres purporting to be from Telstra and offering to help me fix up major issues that i am having with my internet.

They attempt to direct me to eventvwr show me all the errors and then attempt to log onto my pc using teamviewer

I'm just wondering if Telstra is doing anything to stop these calls. Block these numbers or attempt to find those responsible.

These calls are coming through on my Telstra account so there must be a record of the call and the source of the call.

Being on the no call register obviously doesn't work.

What can we do to get these calls stopped.

I work in IT so these calls don't propose a risk to me but I wonder about those not so savvy.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Dodgy Overseas Calls

They are using IP based local numbers. These are usually held by companies like Skype as an example with whom you can make calls out from an ID without a number or can register a number that requires nothing but a couple dollar payment.

They are almost impossible to trace and would take a giant leap in international regulation to really curtail it. The only way to really trace the calls would be to get their IP details which would mean getting legal authority to force the IP voice service provider to release the details and then being able to have the resources to actually trace it back.

This is far above the power of the telcos as it needs legal powers that dont already exist. But that being said, they do close lots of these scammers and numbers down constantly but it is so easy for them to just get a new number and boom they are back up.

Then on top of that there is also software that can mask numbers to make it look like a local number when it isn't as well so they can also use that.

Overall it isn't something with a simple fix, even a national fix. It is an international problem that needs a global fix.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8

Once reported to Telstra or to the Govt Scam Watch team they can try and get the number closed but as they are typically just IP-based phone services they are back up and running in no time at all and because they are typically overseas based it makes it hard if not impossible to stop them completely because the govt have to work with international authorities who don't always want to stop it or aren't always resourced.

It is a problem that has been existing for a while, either saying they are Telstra, Microsoft or even the Govt and people do give their details but there is only so much you can do to prevent it other than trying to educate people.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Support Team
Support Team

Have to back DrQ, bang on the money as usual.

Even products like the Call Guardian 301 will only work once the identified number is in the black list, and as has been pointed out above, new numbers are easy enough to come by. Even a silent line is no defence, sequential auto-diallers will find every active service number in an area code and spit out a report for the humans to then use.

Let your friends, family, everyone know that Telstra, Bigpond, Microsoft...any big name company really, will not make unsolicited calls for technical support.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

destino

How do you get the number that has called you to report?

I would have thought that if the telcos made a concerted effort to try and sort this issue out they could make it very difficult for these folks to prey on Australia.

Relying on customers to report numbers is one thing but even if you do report numbers you dont get any feedback that the regulators including the do not call register really do anything.  I reported one number to the donot call registry and it was two weeks before they got back to me and the response just seemed like they were saying it was all just too hard.

There needs to be a more proactive response from the Telcos and a quicker way to alert them to instances of this and it needs to be proactively advertised so that people know about it. 

Actively fighting these folks is the only way they can be stopped.

If the Telcos tried i'msure it wouldn't take too long before they could curtail their activities.

Peter

SimonTemplar

You are obviously receiving a lot of complaints about the "Technical Department of Telstra" scam.   I receive at least two of these calls per day.   If you say you are not with Telstra they ask who you are with.  If you say you have a Mac then they transfer you to a team leader.  Clearly many young, old and disabled people are going to fall for this.  The scammers aim to get you to download a virus and then ask for payment to remove it.  I noted similar complaints from many people on online forums and I made a rough calculation and realized that this requires some considerable resources for the scammers to implement given the numbers I came up with.  Clearly it is cyber crime but I would suggest that it is close to cyber warfare.  It is creating a definite amount of fear in the community, and clearly has a cost to those scammed and to Telstra.  I also suggest that apart from stealing banking and personal details the scammers are also looking to steal documents and could be linked to organizations and possibly governments conducting cyber warfare.  Ok a bit farfetched but not impossible!   If the next step was to use native English speakers and use information obtained from data mining the threat could take on dangerous new form.  

I noticed that the caller ID numbers are different when the scammers call.  Also with differing area codes.   There must be a way of tracking these calls to the source and asking for government intervention at both ends.  From the accents the calls seem to be originating in India so one brute force approach might be to filter all calls from India.  I am also interested in the way in which they generate local numbers on the caller ID.  Are they doing this from the call point of origin or are they doing it via an Australian entity that has registered a block of numbers?   Looking forward to your solution.

You are obviously receiving a lot of complaints about the "Technical Department of Telstra" scam.   I receive at least two of these calls per day.   If you say you are not with Telstra they ask who you are with.  If you say you have a Mac then they transfer you to a team leader.  Clearly many young, old and disabled people are going to fall for this.  The scammers aim to get you to download a virus and then ask for payment to remove it.  I noted similar complaints from many people on online forums and I made a rough calculation and realized that this requires some considerable resources for the scammers to implement given the numbers I came up with.  Clearly it is cyber crime but I would suggest that it is close to cyber warfare.  It is creating a definite amount of fear in the community, and clearly has a cost to those scammed and to Telstra.  I also suggest that apart from stealing banking and personal details the scammers are also looking to steal documents and could be linked to organizations and possibly governments conducting cyber warfare.  Ok a bit far fetched but not impossible!   If the next step was to use native English speakers and use information obtained from data mining the threat could take on dangerous new form.  

I noticed that the caller ID numbers are different when the scammers call.  Also with differing area codes.   There must be a way of tracking these calls to the source and asking for government intervention at both ends.  From the accents the calls seem to be originating in India so one brute force approach might be to filter all calls from India.  I am also interested in the way in which they generate local numbers on the caller ID.  Are they doing this from the call point of origin or are they doing it via an Australian entity that has registered a block of numbers?   Looking forward to your solution.

You are obviously receiving a lot of complaints about the "Technical Department of Telstra" scam.   I receive at least two of these calls per day.   If you say you are not with Telstra they ask who you are with.  If you say you have a Mac then they transfer you to a team leader.  Clearly many young, old and disabled people are going to fall for this.  The scammers aim to get you to download a virus and then ask for payment to remove it.  I noted similar complaints from many people on online forums and I made a rough calculation and realized that this requires some considerable resources for the scammers to implement given the numbers I came up with.  Clearly it is cyber crime but I would suggest that it is close to cyber warfare.  It is creating a definite amount of fear in the community, and clearly has a cost to those scammed and to Telstra.  I also suggest that apart from stealing banking and personal details the scammers are also looking to steal documents and could be linked to organizations and possibly governments conducting cyber warfare.  Ok a bit far fetched but not impossible!   If the next step was to use native English speakers and use information obtained from data mining the threat could take on dangerous new form.  

I noticed that the caller ID numbers are different when the scammers call.  Also with differing area codes.   There must be a way of tracking these calls to the source and asking for government intervention at both ends.  From the accents the calls seem to be originating in India so one brute force approach might be to filter all calls from India.  I am also interested in the way in which they generate local numbers on the caller ID.  Are they doing this from the call point of origin or are they doing it via an Australian entity that has registered a block of numbers?   

I reported the scam to the AFP, ACORN, SCMWatch and the ACMA.  I like to try and solve these problems so I would welcome suggestions from IT and communications professionals.  Note that the first reports of the scam date back to 2009 and as it is Ransomware I thoght that the authorities would have dealt with it by now! 

Accepted Solution

They are using IP based local numbers. These are usually held by companies like Skype as an example with whom you can make calls out from an ID without a number or can register a number that requires nothing but a couple dollar payment.

They are almost impossible to trace and would take a giant leap in international regulation to really curtail it. The only way to really trace the calls would be to get their IP details which would mean getting legal authority to force the IP voice service provider to release the details and then being able to have the resources to actually trace it back.

This is far above the power of the telcos as it needs legal powers that dont already exist. But that being said, they do close lots of these scammers and numbers down constantly but it is so easy for them to just get a new number and boom they are back up.

Then on top of that there is also software that can mask numbers to make it look like a local number when it isn't as well so they can also use that.

Overall it isn't something with a simple fix, even a national fix. It is an international problem that needs a global fix.
Helpful Links

Level 19: Deputy Director
Level 19: Deputy Director

There is another variation on this when an Indian accented caller asks you about your car accident and wants your details. Except I had not had an accident. They then hung up.

Some just want you to answer "yes" so that they can record it and use it on your phone bank.
Lclack46

I have been getting numerous phone calls on my home phone saying they are from Telstra, telling me I have problems on my computer with the internet. The caller id is showing 0344896523 or private. The caller is calling from a call centre and has a foreign accent. I am assuming these are a scam and hanging up on them
Support Team
Support Team

Hey Lclack46,

You are correct these are a scam call trying to steal your online identity and gain access to your computer as well, so hanging up on them is a good action to take. Further details on these scam calls can be located on the ACCC's site as well at:

https://www.scamwatch.gov.au/news/scammers-pretending-to-be-from-telstra-technical-support-continue-...

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now