CrowdSupport®
Alienwasme
Level 1: Cadet

Getting ripped off on data prepaid - classism in action

To start out with, I'm a lower income Australian and forced to be on prepaid because apparently I don't qualify for a plan.

Yet I'm paying well over $50 a week just to get data on my phone. I cannot get home internet due to issues with NBN rollout and a cord apparently having been cut and my landlord refusing to fix anything in my house.

I am angry telstra that your company is classist. The poor are paying more to get the privilege of having access to internet than those who can satisfy Telstra's ridiculous demands.

You guys can SEE THAT I'VE BEEN PAYING well over $50 a week for over a year now, and yet won't allow me to have a plan. My internet data is running out within a day of recharging. And it's gotten worse recently since you lot unexpectantly changed prepaid service so that we get less data now for same price. Significantly less data.

Like don't you realize that people who are on prepaid are usually lower income? Why screw over poor people?

And you have people who live rurally over a barrel because often it is us who can't get any reception other than telstra.

Can't tell you how disgusted I am.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Getting ripped off on data prepaid - classism in action

Hi @Alienwasme

Very sorry to read about your frustrations around your Pre-Paid situation. This is certainly not what we like to hear at all.

I would suggest you raise a complaint and have a case manager assigned to your account. You can do so via the following link:

https://say.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/Email-Complaint 

Please copy what you write before hitting submit in case the form has any issues. You do not want to lose what you have written, thanks.

Please let us know how you go.

- Jimmy

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

Honestly, if I was you I would find another provider.
Hot pineapple donut and a cuppa.... Mmmmmm
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

You would be better off getting a prepaid modem and using a prepaid mobile broadband plan for you internet. For a $50 recharge, you currently get 10GB+10GB Bonus data (off valid until end of April) on a 28 day expiry. That is much better than the 7.5GB you get on Prepaid phone plans.

As far as your landlord goes, the rules vary from state to state, but you can lodge a complaint with your state's equivalent of the Tenancy Tribunal to get an order to get things fixed.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
SouthPark_CO
Level 2: Rookie

Maybe they can have a service where the pre-paid rate is the same as plan rates.
Level 24: Supreme Being

@SouthPark_CO for the most part prepaid is more competitive so actually can be cheaper, particularly at the cheaper end...

The BYO plans start at $39 with 2GB of data and $500 with of calls, compare that to the $30 Prepaid Extra has 2.5GB of data and unlimited calls... at the $60 mark the prepaid has less data but comes with international calls so depending on use will determine which is the better value...

They have them both there to meet different parts of the market and the expectations for those from their research. The same reason they have 3 different offers, Day2Day can be great for some people, so can Long Life Plus.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

SouthPark_CO
Level 2: Rookie

Thanks for those handy details DrQ! Appreciated.
Alienwasme

Found another company that has reception in my area (rural with limited reception), and fortunately huge amounts of data on a plan for minimum expense.

Feel like an idiot for sticking with Telstra for the last few years. Never again.

Thanks for the replies. Wish you all well.
Alienwasme

**Cough**

I'm now getting 50GB data for $60 a month - would be $30 a month BYO, on a plan (not prepaid) and NOT with Telstra.

Compare that with spending $50 a week prepaid with telstra and only getting 3GB data each time (and it disappearing within hours like magick???).

I actually never said it was always the way, just that particularly at the lower usage end it is cheaper on prepaid often...

Also, there are an array of providers who offer an array of different offers each to target different parts of the market, there are companies out there who have dirt cheap data but only say on 3G network or on a network with less coverage so it is a matter of finding what suits you best...

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now