Highlighted
Ollie8
Level 1: Cadet

Hackers posing as Telstra reps

Got several calls last evening from persons claiming to be Telstra reps and trying to get me to enter various commands in my laptop. They are not genuine Telstra calls. The following numbers displayed when they called and you  might want to be alert to them

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Hackers posing as Telstra reps

They change numbers with each call....So that it's pointless blocking them.
I have thankfully had a break from them by politely telling them I'm not a Telstra customer and that I don't own a computer.
Good luck!
A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. My motto: "Doing the right thing is never wrong".
Ollie8
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks for that. I guess they are trying to extort money by hijacking my laptop or trying to get access to bank details. Are the boys in blue taking an interest do you know?
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

There's not much they can do either as they aren't real phone numbers.
This scam has been going on for the best part of a decade now. It is next to impossible to stop as the culprits are overseas and if one is shut down, they just start up again the next day somewhere else.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Level 19: Deputy Director

Telstra will never call you from a mobile number
Kudos and thanks welcomed

If I have managed to outsmart myself and give a Solution please mark it as so. "button"
Support Team
Support Team

Hi @Ollie8,

Thanks for reaching out. Sorry to hear you have been receiving these calls, this was definitely a hoax rather than a call from one of our centres. You can report this scam call here: http://tel.st/rt9vg and find more information here: http://tel.st/l27ch

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Technical Support
Technical Support

@Ollie8 in addition to the replies before, if you are a residential customer you may want to look at the Call Guardian handset, it has an 'announce' mode, so any caller who is not in your safe list needs to say their name and press '#' for this to happen. As scammers (and some marketing calls) use auto -diallers' these calls should not even ring at your end, as there is no one to actually press the '#' key. If the Call Guardian is not of any appeal, then depending on where you are receiving these calls (eg home, work, mobile etc) there are also some blocking services we can help with. Please call into our Unwelcome Calls Centre and one of the team should be able to give you some more tips. Ultimately though, the least conversation that's had with scammers, the better.

I am a member of the Telstra Unwelcome Calls Team.
If you would like to contact us please call 1800805996 - 6am til midnight (7 days).

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out.

Level 19: Deputy Director

Many of these people are what you call social engineers they try to trick you into giving details
Kudos and thanks welcomed

If I have managed to outsmart myself and give a Solution please mark it as so. "button"
Support Team
Support Team

Hey Ollie8,

@o_0 is on the money, more often than note these are phishing ploys to get you to provide identifying information that can the be used to gain access to your other accounts and services.

Unfortunately is most cases they are operating from overseas, and using VoIP to spoof a local number. Setting up a replacement number is a matter of a couple of clicks if we perform a block - and in the event that they are spoofing a legitimate business's number we run the risk of stopping them receiving or making legitimate calls. Not an easy balance to strike.

You can report the numbers in question to Scam Watch here: http://tel.st/cx3zz. We've also published some information on Unwelcome Calls, here: http://tel.st/hsssf

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now