U3962521
Level 2: Rookie

Has anyone had any luck to sue for damages for negligence from Telstra?

Hi
I’ve been a customer of Telstra 7 years paying my bills on time. 9 months ago signed up to a plan on a s9 for 130/month, since then new plans have come out costing less and offering unlimited data under their peace of mind plan.
So I get all these sms come through while watching a movie on the weekend auto recharge 10 dollar fee for 1 gb. Racked up 14 of theses sms in one weekend. We’re telstra expecting me to pay 140 dollars for 14 gb of data when I pay 130 a month for 45 gb of data,unlimited calls and texts and the cost of handset?
So I put a call into Telstra , the 13 number , say complaints a dozen times until eventually the robot voice goes away. This person was nice we have a good chat and he agrees to reverse the exces data charges and also increase my monthly data to 100gb a month for every month from then on.
Thing is this person said this, I got the extra data but there is no notes on their system of the other stuff being said and they are refusing to go back and listen to the recorded call.
So wind the clock forwards and I get this automated harassing calls from Telstra saying this is an important message from Telstra, trying to force me pay these extra charges they already agreed to drop, because the credit team are a different team on a different system.
So a few months of this and I have had it, call Telstra again, reference the previous call, and he is all apologetic saying yes reverse the excess data fees he will sort it all out. Again there are no notes made on the interaction by the Telstra staff....
A few days later, after it was agreed I just keep paying the 130 month bill Telstra suspend all my services. No call, no email, just cut them off.

I couldn’t call them on my mobile because it had been cut off. Luckily I had a work mobile on vodafone. So I use this and spend the next 8 hours in 2 days trying to get someone to listen to the old calls and agree that the excess charges were to be reversed. But no one wants to, they just keep trying to get me to pay.

This morning I had two police officers turn up on my door because I asked the question of whether I should go buy myself a gun on Twitter. Telstra jumped all over that and got two police out to chat to me. Total waste of their time.
I have them lodged a complaint with the TIO at which point Telstra phone centre in the Phillipines are refusing to help me at all saying someone will contact me in 3-5 days! Well what about my bloody mobile services?

I find it incredible the lengths they will go to to not help, or to push you somewhere else, their lying and dishonesty in the Phillipines call centre is a joke
Has anyone had any success sueing Telstra for damages? I must have burnt at least 24 hours of time to date and I get 150 an hour for my job. So I am thinking I might be entitled to claim for damages equal to the amount of time multiplied by my hourly rate.

Any comments would be great

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Has anyone had any luck to sue for damages for negligence from Telstra?

As you feel aggrieved.......Have you lodged an official complaint?
Here is a link: https://say.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/Email-Complaint
A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".
Harjoy
Level 1: Cadet

For what it is worth ( a bit late for you) I now do all my contacts with Telstra via Live Chat. At the end of your chat they will email you the complete transcription. File it in a special folder for future use. Oddly, I have never had to refer back to one.

If you wish to continue speaking via phone, it may help to politely say you are unable to understand the agent and ask for an English speaking Australian. It ts my understanding that these requests are directed to one of every few Aussie sites.

Persevere, because you will require Telstra's service directly or indirectly and it is still the best on overall coverage.

Good luck

U3962521
Level 2: Rookie

Hey thanks for replies

So yes I have lodged a complaint with Telstra and got a SR number
They were no help at all. They kept trying to make me pay for charges that have been agreed will be reversed. I keep asking them to just go listen to the calls made and give them the interaction numbers but they refuse to saying all the detail of the call is in the interaction notes.

I've also lodged a complaint with the TIO and spoke to them. TIO say Telstra by law must reinstate my mobile services if I am disputing any charges. Try telling that to Telstra. They have said for two days they will reconnect my mobile then today said they wouldn't reconnect it. Its crazy because I've been paying my bill on time for 7 years and the excess data charges have already been agreed to be reversed by Telstra! I said I would just walk into a Telstra shop and get a new phone on a new plan. They out notes on my account to try stop me.
Hilariously the Telstra store over rided it and sold me a new phone and new plan. So Telstra can keep the old phone and plane as far as I'm concerned

I've also written to the office of the CEO. Its amazing how bad this experience has been
Highlighted
Level 22: Superhuman

If the TIO gives a ruling, Telstra would have observed it. Period.
A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now