Highlighted
JimJ
Level 3: Gumshoe

Hoax Calls and Call Number Display

Answered
I posted the following on "Home Phones" with not much result.

I have received a phone call from a Telstra customer on Victoria who claims that he recieved a call from Telstra stating that his phone service would be disconnected.

My number in Qld came up on his CND as the number that had called him.

I have had the reverse where I have recieved hoax calls from "Telstra" or "Microsoft" that call number display indicated business numbers around Melbourne.

How are these hoax callers able to display my number?

I am on a plan that gives me no-cost calls in Australia as part of the plan. If my number is coming up on CND for these hoax calls, are these calls debited against my plan?

So far I have recieved about 12 calls from people who claim that they have had a missed call from my number.

What can Telstra do about this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: Hoax Calls and Call Number Display

Same as with spoofed e-mails... There is no real solution to this unless all the protocols change etc... Which is not going to happen...
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 22: Superhuman

Good evening Jim
Telstra have a department called ....Unwelcome Calls ....you can search for the dedicated phone number and have a chstvwith them.
Hope that helps you
PP
A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".

@JimJ wrote:
1. How are these hoax callers able to display my number?

2. I am on a plan that gives me no-cost calls in Australia as part of the plan. If my number is coming up on CND for these hoax calls, are these calls debited against my plan?

3. What can Telstra do about this?

I can answer only the pars of your post above:

1. It is extremely easy to spoof caller id and to pretend to be someone else - you are just an innocent victim. Two weeks ago, I was explaining similar to someone else. This is similar to spoofing e-mails where scammers/hoaxers pretend to be from different e-mail address than they in the reality are.
  2. NO
  3. Telstra cannot do much about this, unfortunately, because it is out of their hands.

Sorry that I could not give you more satisfactory answer.

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

JimJ

Called "Unwelcome Calls" However being a long weekend I wont hear anything until Monday. Phone off the hook today because of the volume of calls from people who have missed calls from my number.
iRyan
Level 2: Rookie

Too many spoof calls these days Smiley Sad
Wish some other ways to control it..?
Ryan

Kudos and solutions are appreciated!!! Smiley Happy
Accepted Solution

Same as with spoofed e-mails... There is no real solution to this unless all the protocols change etc... Which is not going to happen...

JimJ

Welcome phone call from the Unwelcome Calls unit. Hopefully their endeavours will result in a fix.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now