CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
animalmad
Level 1: Cadet

NBN suggestions for 90yr old mother with dementia to use for internet safety cameras and home phone.

Our very elderly mother who suffers with Alzheimers still lives in her own unit. We recently bought her new phone handsets specifically for the elderly, Vtech DECT 6.0 before we realised that she HAS to change to the NBN next year! What we want to do with with the change is to get her internet so we can run 2 safety cameras at each door and also attach it to the wifi controller so we can control  her heating and cooling from a distance. The prices I have seen to install and use NBN seem very expensive for what she needs, and I don't think there is a pensioner plan so to speak, so I was wondering if any tech savvy people out there can give us any advice please on best plans or best ways to do it. She never makes calls only receives them and she cant seem to use a mobile phone anymore unfortunately!

Thanks a lot.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: NBN suggestions for 90yr old mother with dementia to use for internet safety cameras and home ph

What type of NBN is your mother getting?

The V-tech phone should still work, the base unit's phone cable would need to be plugged into the green port on the NBN modem

If you the bundles you see online aren't feasible, there may be some 'under-the-table' plans that can be organised (not guaranteed) by sales after you explain your needs. That being said NBN themselves are making it harder to go on a base speed tier plan with their pricing changes.

Are you looking for camera's and heating and cooling being able to be managed remotely? Telstra Smart Home may be a viable solution in that case as you can get camera's + a zen thermostat which hooks into it as well and allows remote control. Other then that you could look at other smart home type systems that do what you need
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale

Re: NBN suggestions for 90yr old mother with dementia to use for internet safety cameras and home ph

I would suggest looking into and asking them specifically about this offer based on what you have said it might be the best option.

https://www.telstra.com.au/bundles/starterbundle
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

animalmad
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks Yastiandrie,
Great to hear the phone will still be useable. It’s difficult to change things for people with a memory loss, it’s best to try to keep things the same!
We do want to be able to control things remotely as far as heating/cooling and safety. The new controller is already on the wall as we had to renew her evaporative cooling recently and we are waiting to have a new heating system installed and attached to the same controller. The installer said it can be run through wifi.. but for the life of me, I can’t remember the brand it is!! I will certainly look into home smart type of systems though so thank you for the advice.
I had wondered whether it would be cheaper getting a dongle and pay for a years worth of internet rather than connecting to the nbn and paying for something she is not really going to get full use from. She certainly isn’t going to be browsing the web lol but the home phone is the worry. We need her to have a point of contact and I know she has lost the ability to use a mobile phone sadly. She pays about $30.00 a month now for line rental/ phone bill so to have to pay upwards of $59.00 for nbn is going to be an expense she could do without!
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

A dongle would work for controlling the temperature fine, but the cameras would chew through it depending how much you use it and prepaid you run the risk of running out of credit. Where as a fixed line service, generally come with a 4G backup on the new smart modem which would allow you to remotely view the cameras and environmental controls if there was an outage with the fixed line service.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Level 19: Deputy Director
Level 19: Deputy Director

This is a bit old fashioned but the Red Cross used to provide a service for people living on their own by phoning them everyday to make sure they are ok. Another possibility is to provide free accommodation and food for a nurse / nursing student / medical student to keep an eye on her and cook a meal for them both.
These are not high tech solutions but may be better.
The $59 plan for an ADSL type connection includes the needed phone line rental.
You may want to look into what medical alarms are compatible with the NBN.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now