CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
dougjh
Level 2: Rookie

Phone scammers getting access to phone numbers in Australia

So this page, "https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Broadband-nbn/Active-Scams/ta-p/791114"

outlines many current phone scams perpetrated by what seem to be overseas criminals. Based on the languages spoken when 'real' people talk.

So my question is, ' how is it they can access what are ever changing Australian numbers, and in times, very localised numbers from small country areas, I assume to try to hide their real origin. And more importantly, how is it our own telco's with all the technology behind them, can't track down and block these asses (polite!) from accessing our phone systems.

I and friends around my small country area, are getting sick and tired of hearing 'Nicole' and her threats, or equivalents, sometimes three or four times a day, no matter if you hang up or not.

I can only assume these scammers are getting some success or they wouldn't be doing it, so real fraud is being done and not a thing is being done about it!!

So how about some answers and explanations why this is allowed to happen?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Phone scammers getting access to phone numbers in Australia

Hi @dougjh

You've done well to be aware & I apologise for any concern caused by the calls received.

I've heard of customers receiving calls from people impersonating representatives from well-known government departments & private companies.

You can find information about whether it's really Telstra calling here

If these calls continue, please complete the form here 

Customers can also find information about different types of scams & what to do here

If you'd ever like us to confirm if a call, sms or email did come from Telstra, you can speak with us securely online here 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now