Smithers1
Level 1: Cadet

Possible phone scam

Had an overseas call today claiming to work for a company employed by Telstra to provide long and valued customers with a 30% discount on their bill. As he did not provide an employee number and asked my monthly account spend I requested he assess my account for that information. He could not access my account details when asked so I smelt a scam and hung up.

Subsequent calls to Telstra and ACCC indicated they had not heard of such a scam .

Is Telstra actually offering such a discount and I'm missing out or is it a scam

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Possible phone scam

It's a scam, we have had several similar calls during the past week from someonme supposedly for another Telco, which of course we aren't subscribers too, assuring us that we would get the discount if we updated all our details with the caller..

The daughter also got a similar call for her electricity, so she played along, but again they couldn't access her elec. account details and wanted her to supply all the details.

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Possible phone scam

Agree with everything DEANJA has posted, definitely a scam. I am, however, surprised that you were told that both the ACCC and Telstra were not aware as this is a common one that has been around for a few years now.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now