CrowdSupport®
brunocerous
Level 3: Gumshoe

Really poor customer experience in Telstra store Hobart (cat & fiddle)

Answered
When my iPhone contract was ready for upgrade, I went into the Telstra store to get the One XL of the $59 freedom connect. I have two landlines, two broadband services, a mobile and a mobile broadband service, so naturally I asked what kind of deal she could do for me. She said that she could(would) not do anything other than the standard offer. In the same shopping complex, both JB HIFI and Next Byte T-Life were offering a $10 MRO bonus without even asking for a good offer. When I mentioned this, she said that the offer was fixed and that my additional services made no difference. She then proceeded to tell me (the customer) about her services and that she didn't get a discount as an employee. As a former Telstra employee, I know better. The underlying issue for me, is that I was made to feel like my tenure and loyalty as a customer, was completely worthless and that she really wasn't bothered if Telstra kept my business or not. Quite frankly, that's appalling and she is hurting your business. Long story short Alison was a shining example of how not to treat a loyal customer. At nearly $420 a month total spend, I certainly feel like I should be worth something as a private customer, she didn't. Sorry for the rant, but it certainly left a bad taste in the mouth. -B
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
brunocerous
Accepted Solution

Re: Really poor customer experience in Telstra store Hobart (cat & fiddle)

Of course I referred to the discount, it was the catalyst for the rude response of the store attendant. I've made no assumptions of your intent at all, rather observations of your comments about how people should behave as customers. In my OP, I used the term rant as a tool of modest comedy. You could hardly call my post a genuine "rant". I posted because I had an experience that, I felt, didn't do Telstra justice and I was keen to engage with other people who believe in being treated civilly as a customer. What particular need you feel to challenge my "motivations" (motives) is entirely your own and speaks far more about your motivations, than mine. You are definitely just as entitled to an opinion as me or any other person, that is the absolute truth. What you need to avoid, is preaching your opinions as facts that others should take as gospel (read through your first two posts for clarity) I applaud your conviction Ben, I honestly do. Your indignation and sense of righteousness, much less so. Much as I hate to admit it, i've enjoyed our little debate. You've made me smile Ben, thanks.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
15 REPLIES 15
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

@brunocerous wrote:
When my iPhone contract was ready for upgrade, I went into the Telstra store to get the One XL of the $59 freedom connect. I have two landlines, two broadband services, a mobile and a mobile broadband service, so naturally I asked what kind of deal she could do for me. She said that she could(would) not do anything other than the standard offer.

I can assure you, having worked in Telstra Retail and in Telstra Call Centres, that the offers are fixed and are not able to be customised, with the exception of specific channels.

@brunocerous wrote:
 She then proceeded to tell me (the customer) about her services and that she didn't get a discount as an employee. As a former Telstra employee, I know better.

The Telstra Store Hobart Cat and Fiddle is a Licenced store, so she is 100% correct. As an employee of that business, she is not entitled to any discounts from Telstra off her services. As a former Telstra employee, you are respectfully incorrect Smiley Happy

It could be an attempt at empathy perhaps, or a case of "I know how you feel, I'm in the same boat as you"?

@brunocerous wrote:
The underlying issue for me, is that I was made to feel like my tenure and loyalty as a customer, was completely worthless and that she really wasn't bothered if Telstra kept my business or not.

Your Loyalty, perceived or otherwise, is irrelevant when you are discussing a commercial transaction for the provision of services. It is up to you to decide if the offer meets your specific needs as a consumer, and if you wish to continue to do business with that supplier.

Providing credits on accounts or discounts is something that a Telco should not have to do to keep your Loyalty.

@brunocerous wrote:
Quite frankly, that's appalling and she is hurting your business. Long story short Alison was a shining example of how not to treat a loyal customer. At nearly $420 a month total spend, I certainly feel like I should be worth something as a private customer, she didn't.

My employer's account is nearly $50,000 a month, doesn't mean I should be entitled to anything over and above what Telstra is willing to commercially offer. It is then up to the customer to make a decision if that suits you.

To repeat, providing credits on accounts or discounts is something that a Telco should not have to do to keep your Loyalty. Your Loyalty should be based on the quality of the product you receive, vs. the cost of the product, not used as a gun to demand discounts to which you are not contractually entitled to.

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

brunocerous

Having worked in the C42 Hobart call centre for multiple years, as well as training sales and customer service agents in other Telcos and ISP's, I can assure you that nothing is fixed. Having also had non-standard offers applied previously, I am doubly certain of this. Regarding the possibility of an attempt at empathy on the part of the employee, the key variable in this is tone. There is a marked difference between genuine empathy, condescension and derision. A price is merely an invitation, a starting point of a conversation. You're correct, a telco should not have to provide credits to a customer account, but in a competitive market, recognizing and rewarding customer loyalty sets businesses apart. My loyalty is absolutely relevant to me as the paying customer and therefore, should be doubly relevant to any party receiving my money. If you fail to recognize the significance of a customer's perceived loyalty, the you shouldn't be dealing with customers. You're also correct that the size of your employer's account should have no bearing on your personal phone plan. You won't port out your employer's account over the value of your own personal proposition. My services are all in my name, meaning I choose to stay or go based on the value I receive and more so on the quality of service. To say that value should be decided solely on the product quality v. cost is ridiculous. There's a reason some people still choose to shop at a local store instead of a supermarket. Value is equally based on emotion as it is on logic, any successful sales person will tell you as much. I believe you may have missed my point in this. My objection is not based on price, if money was the case, I would have chosen to be with a budget provider. My objection is based on the manner in which I was treated whilst in the store. I appreciate you taking the time to reply, though I do find it mildly offensive that you feel you have a mandate to tell me how I should feel about an experience that you were not a part of and how I should behave as a paying customer. Thanks anyway. -B
RoganJosh
Level 6: Bloodhound

Holy Hell !! You are spending that much a month with Telstra and they can't or won't give you any discount?

Vote with your feet Mr  brunocerous

I just joined T and they offerred me a $70 "Welcome Credit"  because I asked and I am spending 1/4 of what you per month.  Maybe you should try their call centre and see if they offer you a better deal. I suspect different areas have different rules. Also maybe call T and say you are cancelling all your services, they may sing a different tune.  Appears this store person/sales person doesn't know what "Customer Goodwill" is.  Also if you spoke to you in a demeaning manner then I would be lodging a  formal complaint against her, not just posting here on Crowd Support which isn't an official complaint channel. (13 22 00 say "Complaint" )  If it was me in her shoes, even if I wasn't "authorised" I would be calling my manager and getting override authority to get a better deal for you than the competitors.

Ben_F

Having worked for a Licenced Telstra Store, they are in effect a small business dressed up to look like Telstra. They don't have the ability to make decisions like the one you are referring to such as "Customer Goodwill" without it coming out of that stores profits.

Put simply, if there is not an offer in place, then she cannot offer it. Her Manager would be the owner of said small business, who again needs to think about the profitability of that store. The profitability of Telstra is not relevant if they give away their entire margin on a sale, what bloody point is there of them selling a product to you!!

People need to get over this idea that customers are in some way entitled to $$$ for their loyalty. Loyalty is something you (should) give a company because you support their products. As an example, I am loyal to Apple as a consumer, because I genuinely believe their products are better, not because I can demand a discount as and when I see fit. I am similarily loyal to a specific beverage company, because I believe their beverage tastes better, not because I can demand they give me a cash refund every so often.

I agree that demeaning and condecending tone and manner is unacceptable, however lets be reasonable here, the OP wouldn't have accepted "No" as an answer, even if it was dressed up and sugar coated.

B.

New Users - Click Here!

brunocerous

Any small business owner will assure you that loyal customers are their life blood. If two other stores in the same centre are selling the same product, from the same provider at a discounted price (a standard MRO bonus, no less), then it's in the stores interest to match that price to secure the customer's purchase! (they certainly aren't going to win any business for their attitude to customers or their response times) Don't presume to know me or what motivates me as a customer. You are fixing on the price and ability to discount, and proclaiming that people should not exercise their right to ASK for a better deal. I'll explain to you again, that my issue was the attitude of the girl in the store. Are you saying its better for that store to lose a sale altogether, then secure the sale at the loss of a couple of dollars of their margin? Have you ever run a successful business? YOU, Ben, need to get over the idea that the business is more important than their customers. I don't doubt that you are a smart person and I'm sure that you believe in receiving good customer service when you purchase something. I too, buy from Apple based on the quality of their products AND their exceptional customer care. I still purchased the phone (with the $10 MRO) at a FOneZone store nearby. The service was excellent, they even walked me through some important advice about switching to Android. The result of their approach to me as a customer, is that I will choose to spend my money with them again and again, for as long as they offer to spend time with me in the store and ensure I have everything I need to get the most from my new phone/plan. You express yourself well and you're obviously ok at communicating with people, you just need to stop stating your personal opinions as facts of a small business should operate. Cheers, -B
brunocerous

Thanks Towle, I prefer to get my phones from a retail store because I like the feeling of walking away with a new phone. Every time I call Telstra, I am impressed by the service that I get, which is why I am happy to have all of my services with them and will continue to do so. It is also why I was appalled at the attitude of the girl in the store and felt compelled to share my experience. I'm a huge fan of Telstra, the have been very good to me for the last 10 years and I don't hesitate to recommend them. You're spot on about customer goodwill, it's a tangible commodity in business! (Hey Ben, that's why it makes up part of the cost of buying an existing business. You're buying the reputation of the business and the perceived experience of its customers) Cheers, -B
Ben_F

I have to question the OP, would you really have accepted anything other then a discount.

If the discount isn't the issue, tell us if you would have accepted "No" as an answer in another way?

B.

New Users - Click Here!

brunocerous

I've been told no many times in my life, as has everybody else and I'm perfectly happy to accept that as an answer. The discount wasn't the issue because I knew I could walk into a shop that is literally downstairs and save $240 off the exact same product, no worries. I won't bother to try and help you understand my issue again, you have clearly formed a concrete opinion of how a customer should behave. I really have to ask you if you sincerely believe that people shouldn't go into a shop and ask for something? Rather, that we should all walk in and blindly hand over money. It seems like you're projecting YOUR opinions of customers that YOU'VE dealt with in the past, onto everyone else. Of course I could be wrong, as I know you as well as you know me... O_o The mistake that you're making is in your assumptions. YOU assume it's about money, YOU assume I made a fuss in the store and YOU assume that I'm being un-reasonable for trying to get the best offer I can. I went into that store because I wanted to buy something from them at the same price I could get it anywhere else, they simply didn't want my money. Had the shop assistant TRIED to make me feel like she wanted my business and not glared at me for asking to match the offer at all other re-sellers in Hobart, if she had been sincere and polite, I would have happily accepted her answer and left the store. Would you pay $240 more for the same product, in the same shopping centre? or is that simply what you're suggesting that the rest of us do? -B
Ben_F

I was looking at your statement saying it "wasn't about the discount" and then see comments that ask why the store didn't subsidise its margins to meet your expecations.

Getting the best offer is fine, don't get me wrong. Just as long as we can agree that you can ask and the store can say no.

If there was an issue with the specific service you received, then feel free to raise it as feedback directly to someone who can do something about it. Such as at this link.

I wouldn't pay $240 more for the same product elsewhere, however I also wouldn't get upset if someone told me they couldn't match an offer. I would just toddle down to the store and let it lie.

B.

New Users - Click Here!

Highlighted
brunocerous

You seem to be struggling to grasp the concept that I'm not upset about the discount, nor was I upset in the store. I was, however, disgusted by the attitude of the sales assistant. The reason that we keep discussing the discount, is because you have made it a focal point of your replies. I asked them to match the $10 MRO offer because I would have preferred to purchase from that store, she spoke to me like I'd just insulted her mother, I thanked her for her time, left and spent my money elsewhere. I absolutely agree that I can ask and the store can say no. What they shouldn't do, is be rude, unhelpful and abrupt with people when representing a brand. What's very clear from you comments, is that you refuse to accept anything other than the version of events you have pictured in your mind(possibly based on a memory of a difficult customer of your own?) I appreciate you taking so much of your time to tell me how it happened and what I shouldn't have done. Somehow this is becoming a conversation about how you are right and anyone who has a different opinion is wrong, rather than a thread about a customer walking into a store plastered with theTelstra logo and being spoken to very poorly. I also appreciate you, very politely, telling me to go elsewhere. I posted here because it's a Telstra forum for Telstra customers to discuss Telstra, their products and services. I was merely sharing an experience and up you pop, like I asked you to do something for me. I guess I'm just lucky that I got the blessing of your opinions (unrequited as they may be). Having you tell me all about an experience that were not a part of, has been a truly enlightening experience. -B
Ben_F

@brunocerous wrote:
You seem to be struggling to grasp the concept that I'm not upset about the discount, nor was I upset in the store.

However you said earlier:

@brunocerous wrote:
If two other stores in the same centre are selling the same product, from the same provider at a discounted price (a standard MRO bonus, no less), then it's in the stores interest to match that price to secure the customer's purchase!
You are fixing on the price and ability to discount, and proclaiming that people should not exercise their right to ASK for a better deal.
Are you saying its better for that store to lose a sale altogether, then secure the sale at the loss of a couple of dollars of their margin? Have you ever run a successful business? 

So you are referring to the discount. I've at no point alleged or otherwise inferred that you were anything but polite, nor have I said you were upset. You just seem to be full of hypocricy.

@brunocerous wrote:
she spoke to me like I'd just insulted her mother, I thanked her for her time, left and spent my money elsewhere.

Which I would have done. Thanks, and left.

@brunocerous wrote:
What's very clear from you comments, is that you refuse to accept anything other than the version of events you have pictured in your mind

You are welcome to express or hold that view, however its not the case. I said at no point that you had done anything whilst in the store, so what is "very clear" is that you are making up assumptions about my intent.

@brunocerous wrote:
I appreciate you taking so much of your time to tell me how it happened and what I shouldn't have done. Somehow this is becoming a conversation about how you are right and anyone who has a different opinion is wrong, rather than a thread about a customer walking into a store plastered with theTelstra logo and being spoken to very poorly.

I'm simply trying to offer a differing perspective to yours? Did you want empathy here? You said it yourself, you came here for a rant, I doubt you wanted to engage in discussion about your experience and I doubt you wanted someone to question your motivations.

@brunocerous wrote:
I posted here because it's a Telstra forum for Telstra customers to discuss Telstra, their products and services.

Simply Put - CrowdSupport is not (in my eyes at least) a blog. Its a place of Discussion. And if you have a problem with the discussion, you have a few options. Report it, or put up with it. Simple. I'm just as entitled as you are to put an opinion into what is everyones discussion.

B.

New Users - Click Here!

brunocerous
Accepted Solution

Of course I referred to the discount, it was the catalyst for the rude response of the store attendant. I've made no assumptions of your intent at all, rather observations of your comments about how people should behave as customers. In my OP, I used the term rant as a tool of modest comedy. You could hardly call my post a genuine "rant". I posted because I had an experience that, I felt, didn't do Telstra justice and I was keen to engage with other people who believe in being treated civilly as a customer. What particular need you feel to challenge my "motivations" (motives) is entirely your own and speaks far more about your motivations, than mine. You are definitely just as entitled to an opinion as me or any other person, that is the absolute truth. What you need to avoid, is preaching your opinions as facts that others should take as gospel (read through your first two posts for clarity) I applaud your conviction Ben, I honestly do. Your indignation and sense of righteousness, much less so. Much as I hate to admit it, i've enjoyed our little debate. You've made me smile Ben, thanks.

View solution in original post

Boggles
Level 15: Special Agent

I think you will find the $10 MRO bonus you were offered bu JB and Next byte is also offered by licensed stores. It is built into the plan (Everyday Connect Plans & old Freedom Connect Plans).

The plans are all fixed and cannot be altered individually for every customer.

Cost of handsets and accessories my be altered but that 'discount' comes straight out of their profit.

They are in business to make a profit, not provided a profit free service to the public.

Loyalty is no reason for discounts, I have been with Telstra for a long time and spend a lot of money with them but why should I get priveledges for spending more. (I only spend more because I consume more services!, so therefore get what I paid for.)

Windows Phone Enthusiast, Nokia Lumia 920, 1020 & 520, Microsoft Surface. Windows 8.1. Employed in Telecommunications industry.

I DO NOT work for Telstra, all views and opinions are my own and I do not represent any company whilst in this forum. Follow any advice I give at your own risk as I hold no liability if my advice is wrong.
mda1
Level 1: Cadet

Its really a case of cultural ignorance when it comes to service......in australia we are nothing more than a self serving hedonistic race of dimwits....strutting the world stage.....quite frankly we really are an ignorant bunch when it just comes to understanding our or eachothers needs.........telstra have been in business for a long time and they have lost nearly all their market share because the still think they are the best.....they have the best network and rub it in  our faces......but down the road......others like amaysim off unlimited calls and texts for just $40 a month. I don't care whether telstra go bust!!!!!

Ben_F

What is with reviving dead threads today :/

Telstra have acquired 1.6 Million new Mobile Customers, seen an increase of 30% in Bundles customers. There has been growth in the 2012 FY in almost every segment (the exception being PSTN).

They have to be doing something right Smiley Happy

B

New Users - Click Here!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now