Highlighted
michaelvuletic
Level 1: Cadet

Scam exe file posing as Telstra

Answered

Possible scam email in outlook inbox today - no message with zip folder attached containing Telstra-MMS.jpeg.exe. Ok when scanned Norton and Malwarebytes but suspicious. Deleted.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Accepted Solution

Re: Email scam?

This is currently under investigation. Please DO NOT open the attachment.

You can report scam email to Telstra at: https://service.telstra.com.au/customer/general/surveys/Report_misuse_of_service

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES
Nigel1500
Level 2: Rookie

Trojan received after posting here

Hello,

A short time after posting my first question in this forum I received an email from mms@telstra.com.au.  That email contained a zip file that contained an executable called Telstra-MMS.jpeg.exe.  A threat was immediately reported by my virus checking software:  IDP.Trojan.59E2A6A8.

I have retained the email with full message header.  If you would like it forwarded to you for investigation please let me know.

Thanks

Nigel

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Trojan received after posting here

thankyou for the heads up , ive now forwarded to my shop guys and girls.

Need additional help? Book a Telstra Tech Bar appointment.

Although I am Telstra staff, any views express are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

I have sent you a private message for additioanli infomation when you have a chance can you please respond. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

CJ67

Re: Scam exe file posing as Telstra

i too have had similar email from mms@telstra.com.au in fact another user on our work network received same x 4 messages. each email refers to a different mobile number when we call the number it has permanaent engaged signal so no luck there. out AV says the zip attachments are fine and when we extract them ther is a file called Telstra-MMS.jpeg.exe.

we have isolated this file to an old computer and executed it with no visible effects to the computer other than the .exe file dissapearing. run AV scans find nothing.

I guess we just wait and see what the payload is ?

SemiConscious
Level 2: Rookie

also just got one, moblie number (edited) is unknown to me. 

You have received a picture message from mobile number +614blahblah

To save this picture, please save attached file.

seems suspect to me...

bwss
Level 8: Inspector

Pure coincidence, I got the same as well, no doubt so did millions of of others! Trojans and scams are getting better and better, you need to be so street smart today, if in any doubt, delete, you won't die because you did not reat a particular email. 

topcatau

Already had about six of these since yesterday You have received a picture message from mobile number +61431347623
To save this picture, please save attached file.

I have just been deleting them !

crowd

Email scam?

I received this email to my work address. Is it a genuine telstra email because if it isn't I dont want to open the zip fille attached. I have never provided my work email address to telstra.

Thanks,

PS The 'Select Board' Show all... option (when creating a post) does not work and I had to pick the most general option as none of the others were suitable.

You have received a picture     message from mobile number +61416153835     To save this     picture, please save attached file.

You can     reply once to this message via MMS for free!     To send a reply containing pictures, audio or video, click here to visit our on-line     composer.     Alternatively, you can send a text-only reply (limited to 500 characters),     simply by clicking your usual reply button. By replying to this message you     agree to our terms and conditions. Please see our Website Terms and     Conditions at http://www.telstra.com.au/terms-of-use/     for full details.     Only one reply is possible until 20/11/2011.

Accepted Solution

This is currently under investigation. Please DO NOT open the attachment.

You can report scam email to Telstra at: https://service.telstra.com.au/customer/general/surveys/Report_misuse_of_service

Asquared

Is this a hoax MMS Email?

I have received the following email on two occassions today.  Each email refers to a different mobile phone number and I don't recognise either.  Is this a hoax or genuine email?

You have received a picture message from mobile number +61435507873 To save this picture, please save attached file.
You can reply once to this message via MMS for free!To send a reply containing pictures, audio or video, click here to visit our on-line composer.Alternatively, you can send a text-only reply (limited to 500 characters), simply by clicking your usual reply button. By replying to this message you agree to our terms and conditions. Please see our Website Terms and Conditions at http://www.telstra.com.au/terms-of-use/ for full details.Only one reply is possible until 20/11/2011.

UNQUOTE

__pjau

Loving my first day with Telstra...your systems have had my email address for all of 24 hours and I receive this garbage.

Level 22: Superhuman

Been with Telstra for decades (the day ADSL became available) and haven't had the email yet.

I wonder if it's related to recent transactions.

If I've helped in some way, a Kudos would be appreciated.
Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

@__pjau wrote:

Loving my first day with Telstra...your systems have had my email address for all of 24 hours and I receive this garbage.

I've been a Telstra customer and a CrowdSupport Member for some time, and I have yet to get these messages.

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Goodbye Excess Data Charges

Hello New Plans.

Find out more