TonyDrexel
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra closing 2g network

Telstra has decided to close it's 2G Network.

I have two problems with this.

1) Not fair that I have to purchase a new device just because Testra have decided to close a service. Why should I have to pay?

I puchased the device from them years ago in good faith. Different if it was my idea to change/upgrade.

2) My current 2G device fits into both hands free units in both of my vehicles, saving myslef from being fined or worse having an accident from using a mobile device whilst driving. Both handsfree units were puchased from Telstra once again in good faith., plus I have a full range of spares for both units, and two more 2G mobiles just in case of a fault.

Even if I did pay for an upgrade (which is not my fault), I lose my handsfree speaker and microphone which is much clearer than any bluetooth, and there is NO DEVICE on the market to replace it.

Do I have an car accident and curse the telco who make me get rid of my two handsfree setups or do I change to a different carrier such as Vodaphone who at this stage are keeping their 2G network. active...

Not happy.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Telstra closing 2g network

They haven't sold any 2G only phones in... years...

No service is going to be eternal, the 2G network is 20 years old and in order to provide newer technologies for future use they need to reuse the frequency used by 2G, replacing the old technology with new.

They have also had the information out that they planned to close it this year for over two years now (first announced officially in July 2014), it is hardly like they didn't give plenty of notice and clarity.

Vodafone is the only network yet to announce a switch off, but it would seem inefficient for them in the long run to continue to support and maintain outdated technology so I would be hardly surprised if they did follow suit at some point.

That being said, I would suggest if you feel it is unfair to discuss the situation with Telstra Support - since this is a public forum and not a Telstra contact method - either by phone or livechat.

If you are on prepaid, try 1258887
If you are on postpaid, try 132200
or try LiveChat here: https://livechat.telstra.com
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

Just be aware that if you do decide to stick with your GSM only handset and switch to Vodafone, the coverage will still be quite limited.  Where I live, Vodafone do not have a GSM Tower, they only have 3G/4G services.

You may also find it hard to call emergency services as you will only be able to dial 000 where there is a GSM signal.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
TonyDrexel
Level 1: Cadet

Since posting on this site I have received an SMS from Telstra advising they are now sending a new 3G Phone and Sim Free Of Charge.

That's half the problem fixed.

Now what to do about driving without a hands free kit in two vehicles, that I had for (what did the crowd leader say)? 20 Years!

Personally, in my Ute I use a portable hand free unit which clips to the sun visor.

It works incredibly well and has the advantage that I can use it as a handfree at my desk when the need arises (great for meetings where someone needs to dial in). Also has voice dialling (loads the contacts list from my phone) and can pair with 2 phones at once.

Mine also has the ability to stream to the FM radio as well, so I can play the music that is stored on my phone in the car.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
abthomp
Level 9: Captain

Whatever you do, do not try to sort this out with Telstra over the phone. You'll just get messed around for hours and end up having to go into one of their stores in any case
abthomp

Nice, now why don't they offer that to all customers

@abthomp, if you have a 2G only SIM card (and most likely a 2G only phone), then you should be eligible for a care package. Many of these have already been sent out (based on the SIM card registered info).

If you are in that situation, and haven't received one, then call 132200 and speak to the consultants to see if you are eligible.

As far as accessories go, they are not covered.

abthomp

No my phone is 3g capable but on the wrong band and as for a care package no mention made when I rang up to enquire about what to do - just the usual $'s in their eyes

If it's 3G capable, but the wrong band then not eligible I'm afraid. The care package is only for people who have a 2G only service.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now