CrowdSupport®
Housie
Level 2: Rookie

scammers on home phone saying someone is using my internet

For 3 days in a row, I have had calls from an asian call centre (can hear lots of people in th background) on my home number saying that they are from Telstra and that they have detected someone using my internet (other than me).  they have my name but an address I have not lived at for 22 yrs and at which I did not have the internet.  They want me to sit at my computer - I assume to go to a website they will then use to access my computer.  Is that what their plan is?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: scammers on home phone saying someone is using my internet

Hey @Housie,  yep they want to take control of your PC.  As soon as they do, they put in a back door virus and they have you on a hook.  Sometimes it's about identity theft, but mostly it's about extortion by getting you to pay to remove a virus, which they never do, of course.

Best to hang up on them.

Of course, if you want to have fun with them, keep them online, as I have done, pretend to be a novice, and after you have had fun, let them know that you know they are a scammer.  Wastes their time.

Of course, make sure you aren't worried about your email account being spammed or signed up to multiple p0rn sites, because they will take revenge, so I have really good anti-spam controls Smiley LOL

Best fun I ever had to poison the well was to let them think I was the manager of Telstra Internet Support.  Then they told me there was no such department (after they had rung me claiming to be from Telstra Internet Support!)Smiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOL

If I've helped in some way, a Kudos would be appreciated.
Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

Housie

Thanks Wanglese

Thanks for your insight. I did think of playing with them but as they have my home phone number, they could ring more than once a day!!!!

They must be very organised - the background sound for one of the calls was clearly a call centre as I could hear the same spiel being given to other people. I assume they only have to find one dummy in 100 calls to make money.

All the best to you and your family for a safe and happy 2018.

Jo
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

@Housie wrote:
 I assume they only have to find one dummy in 100 calls to make money.

They get the ill-informed and the elderly. And even having an unlisted number doesn't help as they call a sequence of numbers.

I have had calls from Telstra over the years on certain things. But I've always asked them for the last 4 digits of my account number before I go any further. I don't give them nothing until then. Some will even say they have a Telstra ID number, reality is we wouldn't know if they are legitimate or made up. I always tell them I've very happy to talk to them, I just need to confirm who they say they are is correct.

The ones you have to watch are the scam emails looking like they come from Telstra. I never click on links in emails. If the email looks authentic I will go to the website directly and check (Regardless of who they are from, including family and friends).

Hot pineapple donut and a cuppa.... Mmmmmm
Housie

thanks for the response Ozmoz

sadly so many people get caught.  I get emails allegedly from my electricity company and they look so authentic - only the domain address reveals they are from scammers.

KerryJayneMulho
Level 1: Cadet

Do you Hear orange voicesa?
Smile
Housie

orange voicesa??????

I hear indian accents in a call centre in the background

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now