CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Milly4700
Level 1: Cadet

suspect phone calls

HI,

I have been receiving calls from Rockland MA, USA +1 (781) 4233457. I am assuming it is a prank/fraud caller as I do not know anyone in the USA. I have not answered any calls and I have now blocked this caller on my mobile phone. Who should I advise and how?

TIA

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: suspect phone calls

The reverse number look up shows that AT&T is the service provider of that phone number. If you are wanting to report the unwelcome calls to their provider, you could see if there is a way to contact them via their website. The only other alternative is to block the number. You can find out more about how to manage nuisance calls via: https://www.telstra.com.au/consumer-advice/unwelcome-calls

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Level 19: Deputy Director
Level 19: Deputy Director

Actually I've been receiving regular calls from an 08 code. When I pick up there is no-one on the phone they hang up or they don't answer. The number does not show up if I then press call recall or *10#. It is to my landline.

The web page just lists this as a nuisance call but does not say how to deal with it. I will try to write the number down next time, but what can be done? My phone number is unlisted.
Level 21: Augmented

@Milly4700and @mazinoz,

unfortunately, not much can be done about these... Since they are illegitimate "businesses" they do not follow any rules or even regulations and it is also way so easy to spoof the caller ID... Law enforcement will not do anything about it either, because you are too small fish to trigger any investigation and because the above - in most cases the caller IDs are spoofed...

My advice is always like this:

• if they claim your computer has virus and they want to fix it for you, tell them that you do not have any computers in your household - they will usually hang up
  • if they are offering you solar panels under Australian government refund scheme, tell them politely that your roof cannot handle any more of them - they will usually hang up
  • if they are doing market research, they are usually pretty good accepting, "sorry, I am not interested"...

BTW, I had a new type recently and still don't know what to think about it... Came from private number (unfortunately, my in-laws have it so I need to pick these up 😁 or rather 😪?). Indian accent speaking person knew my first name and surname and was very polite... Then he started claiming that we know each other because we used to play cricket (nope), basketball (nope), oh, we were surfing together (nope)… Hang up on him after while, but I am bit curious why such a call... If it was to the mobile, I would think it was to get my geolocation, but fix link?

Oh, got carried away...

My mantra is - NEVER EVER be rude to these people - or you might have a hell of phone calls during nights etc...

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
Support Team
Support Team

Hi @mazinoz It's very frustrating to receive such calls, I apologise for any concerns. We do provide some helpful information and resources on what you can do to identify these and protect yourself here: https://www.telstra.com.au/help/contact-us/scams which may help Smiley Happy

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now