pissedoff69
Level 1: Cadet

why do i have to pay the last month on a mobile contract when its already in advance

I have just ended a 24 month phone contract with Telstra. I switched providers on the day my contract ended but still threatened by telstra to pay up another month for the contract. 

Isn't the first month in advance should pay for the last month on the contract or is it a way of telstra ripping people off blackmailing people to get more money or is it the 3rd party people putting money in their own pocket or even to fund terrorism 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: why do i have to pay the last month on a mobile contract when its already in advance

Your final bill will have your charges for the service up to the day it was disconnected. If that was part way through the month, generally you will receive a pro-rata refund back on the service after any applicable additional fees.

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Level 22: Superhuman

Re: why do i have to pay the last month on a mobile contract when its already in advance

Your initial payment was from the day of connection or purchase pro rated to a common date......as is the end as Dr Q explained
A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. My motto: "Doing the right thing is never wrong".
pissedoff69
Level 1: Cadet

yes i accept if it was half way through the month and i understand that , but it was disconnected and the number ported to another supplier on the very start day of the supply period so the billing cycle started on the 19th of the month and it was disconnected and the number ported to another telco on the 19th of the month and thats what i cant understand
I relize if it was halfway through the billing cycle fair enough , but it was on the start date of the billing cycle exactly the date the contract finished and thats why im so wound up about it
Highlighted

If you disconnected on the first day of the new cycle then it would have generated the billing details likely before the order completed. Which would mean that the next bill would have a prorata credit for the same amount or just under (may be a charge for the one day depending on the system calculation and when the port completed).
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now