CrowdSupport®
Level 1: Cadet

Scam emails - undelivered

Answered

So I just got a heap of emails sent to my email account.

Was only sent to my secondary email not my main one, the second mail account

I use mainly for buying things on ebay or other stores online so i am guessing someone

has stolen my email and is using it spam. Now I am getting emails sent to me saying undelivered or

some people have replied saying what's the deal.. The scam looks to be a virus or something "a downloader"

that is saying that a invoice wasn't paid. I got maybe 20 in a few seconds and now that they have my email I'm guessing I'll get 10000's of undelivered emails or worse people thinking I'm the one doing it.

Is there anyway to stop this attack?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: Scam emails - undelivered

Hey @canarisa,

Ouch. It looks like they have used your email address as a "respond to". IOW, they have spoofed. Not to worry, they probably haven't hijacked your account.

Make sure you change the password on your secondary account to something almost impossible to figure out (I iuse pass PHRASES now, not pass WORDS). Something even you would have to look up on your own laptop for instance..

Your best bet is to setup a rule that deletes anything that looks like a bounce or has the words undeliverable on your secondary account

Unfortunately, the low-life scumbag theives will always be with us.

If you can identify the actual scammer by the website etc, you might get their ISP to close their webserver account, but these days it's unlikley.

If I've helped in some way, a Kudos would be appreciated.
Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: Scam emails - undelivered

Hey @canarisa,

Ouch. It looks like they have used your email address as a "respond to". IOW, they have spoofed. Not to worry, they probably haven't hijacked your account.

Make sure you change the password on your secondary account to something almost impossible to figure out (I iuse pass PHRASES now, not pass WORDS). Something even you would have to look up on your own laptop for instance..

Your best bet is to setup a rule that deletes anything that looks like a bounce or has the words undeliverable on your secondary account

Unfortunately, the low-life scumbag theives will always be with us.

If you can identify the actual scammer by the website etc, you might get their ISP to close their webserver account, but these days it's unlikley.

If I've helped in some way, a Kudos would be appreciated.
Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit