Gnome1
Level 2: Rookie

Call diversion on DOT

Answered

I have recently been swithed over to the NBN for our phone lines and have 5 lines on a DOT package.

The 5 lines appear on an analogue adaptor that then connects to our phone system.

These 5 lines are in a hunt group just as they were before being cutover to the NBN.

After hours we divert the phone to one of two different mobiles depending on who is taking the calls after hours, used to be a simple task as we had two speed dials set up to dial *21 mobile number #.  Whoever arrived first in the morning simply picked up line 1 and dialed #21# to turn it off.

Now we have a DOT package and I have been told the only way I can divert the calls to the mobile is to log into Commpilot, fiind the main business number in the list, go into the settings for incoming calls and then change the number the calls get sent to and the save it and log out again.

Surely there has to be another way, this method means I have to give the login details to all of the staff to be able to divert and undivert the phones and there are a lot of settings available that if messed with can disable the whole setup.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Gnome1
Accepted Solution

Re: Call diversion on DOT

Hi Cory,

Why didn't i think of this?

Setup call forward on busy from line 1 to line 2.

Setup call forward on busy from lne 2 to line 3.

Etc for all 5 lines.

Had to untick the send all calls to voice mail, send busy calls to voice mail and send unanswered call to voice mail in the third party voice mail menu to make the forward on busy work correctly otherwise they went to voice mail instead of forwarding to the next line.

Edit Do not turn off third party voice mail support all together, when setting this up a few calls inadvertantly ended up in the voice mail boxes of two of the lines and with thirdy party voice mail turned off you cant get rid of the warble dial tone that indicates a message is there, even with *99#

Went into compilot and forwarded our main business number to the core number instead of the hunt group.

Now I can dial *72-phone number #  and the calls divert to the mobile, but it has to be done on the first incomming line same as before.

*73# turns it back off again, but still leaves the call forward on busy active.

Apart from not having the warble dial tone to let you know the line is on diversion, it works like a charm, you are a legend.

So now I see no reason why I am paying the extra fee every month for the hunt group as it is uneccessary and also takes away the convenience of being able to divert the number from a handset.  Someone needs to educate the rest of the support staff there about this, I can't be the only one with this issue.

And if needed I can still log in remotely with compilot and turn it on and off that way, best of both worlds.

Thank you very much you have solved my problem and even saved me a few $$ each month.

Second edit,  I was also told to acess voicemail I needed to dial 125102#  then the phone number 4577#### and #, and then finally the 6 digit password follwed by the hatch, I can tell you that with thirdy party party voice mail turned on all you have to dial *62# and get the same result.  that will save me wearing out the keypad on the phone.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Gnome1

With DOT there are different call feature codes. 

The one you would now use for call forwarding is *72 (phone number)#

You also have the ability to use commpilot which is a program that allows you to change the way you use your phone lines.

If you want to set up commpilot you can call our faults team on 132000 and say digitial business. This is a free call from any Telstra supplied landline or mobile.

Thanks - Cory

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Gnome1

Hi Cory,

Thanks for the reply, this code doesnt work either.  My understanding now after spending quite a bit of time on this is that our main listed number is now overlaid onto new NBN phone numbers. 

Our listed phone number number 4587 XXXX is essentially diverted to a new number 4577 XXXX  which is a hunt group, if you look into the feature codes there is not a diversion code for a hunt group number.  I found this out by looking through the many screens on compilot.  We also have another number which is our core number, if we have our listed number diverted to this in compilot then *72 (phone No) works but we lose our hunt group. 

So to make the diversion work I have to log into compilot and divert our listed number 4587 xxxx directly from there, before it hits the hunt group number.

Hope that makes sense.

I have spent hours on this and contacted a few people and most don't seem to know what settings / features are available for different types of lines.   

To explain.

If you log in with compilot and under users select the core number then go to utilities, then feature access codes you see  *72 is listed as the diversion always activation code. 

If you go to services from the home page and find the hunt group number open it up and then under utilities find the feature access codes you can see there is no call forward always code available.

My guess is that the hunt group is the problem.

Without having full understanding of the nuts and bolts of how DOT works, my assumption is that the hunt group number doesnt actually appear on our premises, maybe it can be made to appear on one of the ports and we can have a digital handest hooked up to use to activate the diversion, or somethnig like that.

Having to give everyone in the office open access into compilot is a real security issue and some are not that computer savvy and they can really make a mess by accidentially sending our calls off to nowhere, which has happened once already.  

John

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi John,

You are correct about the Hunt Group. The Issue with the Hunt group is that it is there to direct traffic. As soon as a phone number is entered into the Hunt Group listing it will just go where its told within said Hunt Group. There is another way to have the Hunting work through commpilot if the Hunt Group isn't working the way you want the service to work. 

You could remove the Hunt Group from the Main Business line which is the number your customer will call. Then you could set up each number up as a call forward busy. 

So after when your main number is busy have it go to the next number and then the next until you have how many lines added as you require. From there the Feature Access codes will work the way that they should.

Unfortunately Hunt Group does take over the line completely nothing overrides it including call forwards.

I hope this makes sense. 

Let me know how you go Smiley Happy 

- Cory

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

willow77
Level 3: Gumshoe

Hi John

There is no simple fix for this. To utilise the existing phone system the digital lines have been converted to analogue lines using and integrated access device.  NBN Connection > Modem > IAD > PABX.

Unfortunately the IAD restricts the use of the Digital Feature Codes that Cory was talking about. 

As far as I can see there are only two other options that have not yet been explored. 

1. Utilise the DOT application to access the call forward feature remotely (https://www.telstra.com.au/small-business/bundles/dot/dot-app)
  2. Purchase a Digital Handset so the feature codes can be initiated onsite. This would work in addition to your PABX not instead of it. 

Willis

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found a  then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance please remember to click on the 

Gnome1
Accepted Solution

Hi Cory,

Why didn't i think of this?

Setup call forward on busy from line 1 to line 2.

Setup call forward on busy from lne 2 to line 3.

Etc for all 5 lines.

Had to untick the send all calls to voice mail, send busy calls to voice mail and send unanswered call to voice mail in the third party voice mail menu to make the forward on busy work correctly otherwise they went to voice mail instead of forwarding to the next line.

Edit Do not turn off third party voice mail support all together, when setting this up a few calls inadvertantly ended up in the voice mail boxes of two of the lines and with thirdy party voice mail turned off you cant get rid of the warble dial tone that indicates a message is there, even with *99#

Went into compilot and forwarded our main business number to the core number instead of the hunt group.

Now I can dial *72-phone number #  and the calls divert to the mobile, but it has to be done on the first incomming line same as before.

*73# turns it back off again, but still leaves the call forward on busy active.

Apart from not having the warble dial tone to let you know the line is on diversion, it works like a charm, you are a legend.

So now I see no reason why I am paying the extra fee every month for the hunt group as it is uneccessary and also takes away the convenience of being able to divert the number from a handset.  Someone needs to educate the rest of the support staff there about this, I can't be the only one with this issue.

And if needed I can still log in remotely with compilot and turn it on and off that way, best of both worlds.

Thank you very much you have solved my problem and even saved me a few $$ each month.

Second edit,  I was also told to acess voicemail I needed to dial 125102#  then the phone number 4577#### and #, and then finally the 6 digit password follwed by the hatch, I can tell you that with thirdy party party voice mail turned on all you have to dial *62# and get the same result.  that will save me wearing out the keypad on the phone.

Highlighted
Gnome1

Hi Willis,

please see my reply to Cory, the feature codes DO work from an analogue handset behind the IAD, maybe not all of them as I havent tried them all but the diversion does.

I was even prepared to buy a digital handset to do this but it is now not neccessary.

There seems to a bit of conflicting information about DOT.

Somehow I have now managed to get the message warble dial tone on our 2nd incomming line, when i was setting this up which I can't clear so far, but guess I will have to muck around with the settings to sort that out, but the diversion works like a charm. 

Edit- fixed the message waiting warble by turning third party voice mail back on see solution.

Pelican17
Level 1: Cadet

Hi 

We have exactly the same problem, but I haven't been able to rectify it using your resolutions.  We have a Hybrex phone system I'm wondering what sort you have, maybe that's why it's not working?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Pelican17, 

Using a Hybrex phone system in conjunction with the DOT system may account for this.  Please give our business support team a call on 13 2999 to see if they can help you with this.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your business services on your mobile with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now