cadbase
Level 2: Rookie

Firewall ports for DOT SIP phones

Answered

We've just transitioned from ADSL2+ Internet with analogue PSTN phones on copper to NBN fire-to-the-premise for the Internet and SIP phones through Telstra DOT.

Which ports do we need to open to allow the IP phone traffic through our firewall?

We've opened UDP port 5060, 1000-2000 and 4569 so far and the phones are connecting but we can't hear any audio (ring tone or speach). If I open all ports then the phones work fine. This proves there's nothing wrong with the phones or the Internet connection; we've just blocking a port that it needs for the audio.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cadbase
Accepted Solution

Re: Firewall ports for DOT SIP phones

Thanks for your help.

We have now switched off the firewall in the Telstra supplied Gateway router and the phones are working okay. 

I found also that I had to switch off our internal DHCP server and revert to the DHCP service on the router because I couldn't find any information on the addresses that need to be set in the DHCP Options that DOT needs.

Although I managed to provision the phones initially by conneting them to the Telstra Gateway Pro router with its DHCP switched on (and with our corporate LAN totally disconnected), they would sometimes stop working some time after they were deployed in the office, especially if we tried to make any changes at Commpilot. The configuration the initial boot cycle downloaded appeared to have changes the admin password on the phones web UI so we can no longer view any system settings to glean what options are needed (presumably Telstra do this to stop people from fiddling with settings and putting more load on the support people).

Having to use the DHCP on the router is a bit annoying because we now have to manually enter the address of the internal DNS as primary on every internal PC and other device that needs to resolve internal names. It kind of makes DHCP a bit pointless if you have to type IP addresses everytime you plug in a laptop.

We only have half a dozen PCs, laptops and a few tablets on a LAN with a couple of servers, so working the way DOT requires is tolerable, but I can imagine that most medium-sized businesses with existing server infrastructure would find DOT a bit restrictive.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES
cadbase

I've now adjusted the firewall ports to 5060 - 5061, 9000-9500 and 4569 and voice is now working from and to the IP phone but we can't hear audio on the DOT app. so I'm still missing a port or range of ports.

Highlighted
Technical Support
Technical Support

HI Cadbase, 

If your using the D.O.T supplied equipment there should be no need to mess about with any firewall or port forwarding settings.

If you are having problems please contact our  D.O.T Assurance team on 132999 or via online chat at https://livechat.telstra.com/TBSmiley Very HappyOTSmiley Very Happyefault

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

cadbase
Accepted Solution

Thanks for your help.

We have now switched off the firewall in the Telstra supplied Gateway router and the phones are working okay. 

I found also that I had to switch off our internal DHCP server and revert to the DHCP service on the router because I couldn't find any information on the addresses that need to be set in the DHCP Options that DOT needs.

Although I managed to provision the phones initially by conneting them to the Telstra Gateway Pro router with its DHCP switched on (and with our corporate LAN totally disconnected), they would sometimes stop working some time after they were deployed in the office, especially if we tried to make any changes at Commpilot. The configuration the initial boot cycle downloaded appeared to have changes the admin password on the phones web UI so we can no longer view any system settings to glean what options are needed (presumably Telstra do this to stop people from fiddling with settings and putting more load on the support people).

Having to use the DHCP on the router is a bit annoying because we now have to manually enter the address of the internal DNS as primary on every internal PC and other device that needs to resolve internal names. It kind of makes DHCP a bit pointless if you have to type IP addresses everytime you plug in a laptop.

We only have half a dozen PCs, laptops and a few tablets on a LAN with a couple of servers, so working the way DOT requires is tolerable, but I can imagine that most medium-sized businesses with existing server infrastructure would find DOT a bit restrictive.

zzap
Level 1: Cadet

@Kenobi, your response was not helpful in the slightest. In fact, no answer would have been of more benefit.

@cadbase: Thanks for working this out, and posting your success follow up. This has assisted me with a SIP port issue.

Goodbye Excess Data Charges

Hello New Plans.

Find out more