Highlighted
wubbalubbadubdu
Level 1: Cadet

NBN coming to my area and I'm being told I have to buy a $5,000 system

Howdy,

We've got a Telstra business partner going around town getting everyone signed up to NBN plans (DOT on NBN), and he's told me I must upgrade my phone system, that it cannot work with the NBN.

I have an ARIA-24 serving me two phone lines on a linehunt. (I have a completely separate phone line for fax/internet/alarm, my eftpos is networked/internet not dialup).

Surely I don't have to spend $5,000 (or $9,000 if paying in instalments) for this simple setup? Our area is going to be FTTN, not FTTP, if this makes any difference.

I'm a small business (one employee and myself), and this kind of expense is simply unbearable.

Any help or guidance would be very appreciated.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: NBN coming to my area and I'm being told I have to buy a $5,000 system

Unfortunately FTTN is far worse than FTTP, especially for a business setup.

I couldn't say for sure that your ARIA-24 system couldn't be hooked up to an FTTN service (it would have to go through a Telstra Modem, then into the ARIA), but I couldn't say that it would work either.

Your fax/internet & alarm is another matter. The Internet will work. The fax and alarm are another matter. The alarm might need a 3G/4G dialler added to the system (approx $200). The fax will depend on whether it is an NBN compatible model.

It definitely shouldn't cost you a small fortune.

Give the 132000 number a call and have a chat to the consultants. They should be able to guide you through the process and get you up and running as painlessly as possible.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your business services on your mobile with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more